Shares Questions

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.21K Views
Is it possible for CEO to retain a majority of shares, but share a fair amount of profit with the team? Are there precedents?

Background: I am currently working in a medium-sized company (~50 employees) in a team of 7 members. Our team has grown to the size where we want to part ways from the mother company and form a...

asked Apr 22 '20 at 10:05
Blank
technical_guy
1 point

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.47K Views
Are vested shares the best way to go for a startup company to bring on new people?

We have a Hong Kong company and are trying to launch. We have limited funds but are thinking of hiring someone and paying in shares. However, we don't want to just sell shares and watch our new...

asked Jun 17 '14 at 09:16
Blank
User33966
11 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
3.73K Views
How companies divide company shares between founders and investors?

I came here to ask about: How do companies divide their equity shares among the founders and investors? For example, consider two persons are building a company. Person1 came with the idea of an...

asked Jun 9 '14 at 07:28
Blank
Sky Buzz
36 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.97K Views
Equity split for advisors, part-time and full-time founders?

I am a part of a software startup that includes the following six founders. We are about to seek VC and we need to make sure that we split the equity in a fair/correct manner. Based on the...

asked Sep 23 '14 at 23:35
Blank
User34135
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.64K Views
How do I automatically post new Wordpress posts to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Google+?

All the plugins I've tried have not worked, and the sites that I've tried want my passwords. I'm not comfortable with that. No plugin seems to be able to post to Pinterest (high priority). Google+...

asked Nov 7 '14 at 05:45
Blank
Starrychloe S.
83 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
6.96K Views
Clawback vs. vesting

What is the difference between clawback and founder vesting? It seems that the term "clawback" was used in connection with the Zynga and Skype cases Equity Clawback - how to avoid Zynga situation

asked Jul 31 '12 at 19:33
Blank
Jhexp
105 points

2 Votes
0 Answers
3.78K Views
What is the key to securing a large investment in a project? How much should I offer the investor in return for his risk?

Let's say all of the following conditions are true: I have the connections needed to get audience with multiple multi-millionaires, although I, myself, am not one. I have, in concept, designed a...

asked Oct 27 '13 at 03:01
Blank
Jonathan Todd
28 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.49K Views
How do I set the share capital of a company and the type of shares to allocate?

I intend to set up an IT company. As a one person startup, how do I determine what share capital the company should have? It can be $1, $1,000 or $100,000. Then, the shares can be ordinary or...

asked Mar 21 '14 at 10:53
Blank
Wayne
6 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.38K Views
Splitting common stock between founders and investors - How can a founder ensure that he does not lose control of his company?

View: It seems to me that the only sure way for the founder of a company to ensure, with absolute certainty, that he will not lose control of his company is for him to retain 50.1% of his company's...

asked Oct 28 '13 at 09:36
Blank
Jonathan Todd
28 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.51K Views
Equity in a project but not in company

Can I give someone stake/equity/shares or similar for a project in the company without giving that person any equity in the company? If not, has anyone found ways to accomplish something...

asked Nov 2 '13 at 08:32
Blank
Javier Figueroa
106 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.29K Views
How can a founder structure the stock options pool to get guaranteed percentage?

Let's say I have a company where I am the founder and also have 2 employees - E1 and E2. Let's say there are 1000 authorized shares, but only 800 of them are issued. 600 of those shares are...

asked Oct 8 '13 at 04:45
Blank
Salmon
970 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.34K Views
What's a fair share to give when adding a designer as a co-founder?

In the last 6 months I was working on stop motion app for Android. Now the app gets around 100 download per day in Google Play (first month) and around 50,000 picture was taken so far, and I'm...

asked Aug 29 '13 at 04:20
Blank
Jimmy
111 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.97K Views
Owning shares in another LLC, what is the simplest way to go tax-wise?

Let's say I already own a LLC (single-member, disregarded entity). Now, I just closed a new business and have a partner in the US, a new LLC will be formed, with two members - my partner and I. I...

asked Aug 22 '13 at 02:19
Blank
Full Of Caffeine
3 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
4.07K Views
How much equity should startup Independent contractors get?

So, A friend of mine has a brand created for a game, characters, story, the works. He also a rough idea about how the game should be which looked pretty solid. He took out about $40,000 loan and...

asked Aug 25 '13 at 03:43
Blank
Brybam
103 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.46K Views
What deal should I accept for a somewhat part time CTO position?

I am a developer with a few years of experience and someone asked me to work on his very early stage startup (2 people right now). The company is doing ok, not making a lot of money but it's...

asked Jul 18 '13 at 01:43
Blank
Mthrowaway
13 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.68K Views
Organisational structure of investing / consulting LLCs? (by example of seed accelerator Y Combinator)

I wonder how companies like Y Combinator are structured. Y Combinator is a seed accelerator, investing in and consulting businesses. On Y Combinator's web site, there is a list of partners. Y...

asked Jun 22 '13 at 21:58
Blank
Feklee
148 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
2K Views
joining a startup, question about equity

(also posted on The Workplace ) A friend of mine (no tech bg, but lots of business xp) is planning to found a startup and has invited me to be the CTO. I have some background working in IT and in...

asked Jun 2 '13 at 06:14
Blank
User26496
1 point

0 Votes
1 Answers
3.5K Views
Setting a stock vesting schedule retroactively

So here's the the quick summary: Three co-founders with shares equally divided. Started working on it about a year ago, got incorporated about 4 months ago. Now one of the co-founders wants to...

asked Apr 29 '13 at 05:36
Blank
Neon Blue Hair
66 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.41K Views
How does reverse-vesting work?

How does reverse-vesting work? I understand the company has the right to "buy back" shares if the employee leaves early, but how exactly does that work? What price do they pay per share?

asked May 9 '13 at 13:24
Blank
Gili
178 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.23K Views
Issues around accepting salary plus stock options in job offer

I've been offered a job within a new SaaS startup. I'd be the first technical hire. They've offered to match my current salary and give me 2.5% stock options. Or I take a couple of £K extra with no...

asked Apr 11 '13 at 03:05
Blank
Iamjonesy
129 points