Hiring Questions

43 Votes
12 Answers
25.9K Views
Using your startup on your resume while job-hunting?

I have a very new solo startup that doesn't make any money (yet...), but it's time to get a "real job" so that I can pay the bills. I'm very proud of the work I did on my startup and think that it...

asked Oct 16 '09 at 00:47
Blank
Neil
318 points

88 Votes
15 Answers
21.7K Views
Is hiring average programmers worse than staying solo?

I have a reasonably successful SaaS, which is pretty much a one-man show; I always wanted a co-founder but never found the right person. It's been running for a number of years now, growing...

asked May 26 '11 at 20:54
Blank
J22
543 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.76K Views
Pros and Cons of hiring remote contractors vs onsite employees?

What are some pros and cons of hiring full time employees onsite vs employing contractors on platforms like UpWork (ODesk)?Salary is one. In almost all cases remote workers are going to cost you...

asked Jun 16 '15 at 10:25
Blank
Larry Lamas
14 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
5.27K Views
Hiring a quality UX/UI designer for our startup?

We're have a tough time finding any good designers to hire for our startup. Most of the good designers are usually more interested in working at VC funded startups in the valley or more established...

asked Jun 10 '15 at 09:55
Blank
Keenan Bachelder
20 points

7 Votes
11 Answers
4.15K Views
Should I trust software development companies from Asia?

There are lots of sites around the internet that offer cheap labour from an offshore location. What do you think about using this type of site to speed up your local business? Is it a good idea?...

asked May 5 '11 at 02:46
Blank
Sfrj
205 points

28 Votes
10 Answers
13.4K Views
Am I too old to join a startup?

I just got approached to join a startup. 20 years ago, I had my first startup experience working as employee #5 of a outfit that is now owned by a German multinational corporation. It was the...

asked Sep 20 '12 at 06:29
Blank
Chris
243 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.07K Views
Hiring freelancers (national and international) as a Delaware LLC

As a startup apart from members of the LLC, we just want to utilize the services of freelancers rather than having any employees. Could you please let me know what are things that I need to be...

asked Oct 4 '17 at 13:56
Blank
John
1 point

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.51K Views
Are vested shares the best way to go for a startup company to bring on new people?

We have a Hong Kong company and are trying to launch. We have limited funds but are thinking of hiring someone and paying in shares. However, we don't want to just sell shares and watch our new...

asked Jun 17 '14 at 09:16
Blank
User33966
11 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
4K Views
What's the legal framework for a US company (Delaware LLC) to hire a full-time remote developer (e.g. India, Sri Lanka)?

We don't need a one-shot collaboration (see elance.com, odesk.com) but a long-term remote developer. We don't know, legally speaking, how to proceed and which are the needed steps. Thank you

asked Oct 12 '10 at 23:45
Blank
Leonardo Dario Perna
106 points

5 Votes
7 Answers
10.3K Views
Options for hiring Indian workers directly

My core aim is to hire people directly in India (Delhi) and spend a lot of time there myself (I am a British person with a British passport). I am interested in knowing what are the best options...

asked Dec 10 '10 at 22:47
Blank
Dav
26 points

9 Votes
12 Answers
5.52K Views
What are the pros and cons of employees that work remotely?

What are the considerations as we consider employees that would work remotely? I'm particularly thinking about technical positions (programming, web site maintenance) that are remote due to...

asked Sep 21 '10 at 06:21
Blank
Keith De Long
5,091 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.62K Views
How to do background checks on new hires? Should a startup even care about doing checks?

I am going to be hiring my first remote employee that I found on ODesk. Had initially contracted him on an hourly basis but would like to hire him full time directly outside of ODesk.Should I do...

asked Feb 14 '14 at 00:52
Blank
User30123
6 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.38K Views
How can a non-engineer founder know if the developer they hired is any good?

I'm a non-technical founder who is hiring my first employee, a Ruby on Rails engineer. While I'm great at execution on the business end, I'm clueless when it comes to the actual tech that my...

asked Jun 12 '15 at 00:11
Blank
Mary Gould
12 points

10 Votes
6 Answers
17.3K Views
Is it illegal for me to only consider women for a position I'm about to advertise for?

My startup's products will primarily be purchased by women, and thus I'd like to hire a sales and marketing director who is a woman. Is it against the law for me to advertise this position that I'm...

asked Jan 5 '11 at 13:13
Blank
Jeff
51 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
4.44K Views
Which startups are hiring in Boston?

Couldn't find a Jobs section on Bright Journey. Maybe there should be a section here where startups can post their openings.Which early stage startups are hiring software engineers in the Boston area?

asked Mar 19 '14 at 01:14
Blank
Steve Halsted
45 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
4.5K Views
Can one person do both Marketing & Sales/Business-Development jobs?

Context: We are a small 3-developer company that sells Windows desktop software for small businesses on our website. We believe that we need both: "Marketing" - i.e. one-to-many interactions,...

asked Mar 5 '10 at 04:00
Blank
Polemarch
301 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
3.89K Views
Persuading software engineers to join a new startup?

I'm a non-technical founder who has been able to get by with outsourced consultants on ODesk for a while.But now that revenues are growing, I want to hire one or two PHP coders onsite. I've posted...

asked Jun 9 '14 at 18:10
Blank
Sonya Dave
24 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.69K Views
How to organize your hiring pipeline?

How should a small startup organize their hiring pipeline? We're a team of 8 so don't have a dedicated HR person. Way too early for that. So we keep an excel file to manage candidates we interview....

asked Jun 11 '14 at 14:56
Blank
Michael Brown
14 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.74K Views
How to reject candidates after an interview?

What's the best way to say no to candidates who clearly aren't a good fit for the company?It's as awkward for me to do as firing someone. I would like to do it in a way that doesn't reflect bad on...

asked Jun 16 '14 at 23:45
Blank
Connie Banes
12 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.44K Views
Does a candidates appearance / behavior on social media effect your hiring decision?

Before hiring someone, most startups try to find out as much as possible about them by hitting Google and checking their publicly available social media profiles (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram,...

asked Jul 8 '14 at 16:55
Blank
Carl Rosas
12 points