Hiring Questions

2 Votes
4 Answers
1.81K Views
Hiring a quality UX/UI designer for our startup?

We're have a tough time finding any good designers to hire for our startup. Most of the good designers are usually more interested in working at VC funded startups in the valley or more established...

asked Jun 10 '15 at 09:55
Blank
Keenan Bachelder
15 points

10 Votes
6 Answers
6.36K Views
Is it illegal for me to only consider women for a position I'm about to advertise for?

My startup's products will primarily be purchased by women, and thus I'd like to hire a sales and marketing director who is a woman. Is it against the law for me to advertise this position that I'm...

asked Jan 5 '11 at 13:13
Blank
Jeff
51 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.11K Views
Which startups are hiring in Boston?

Couldn't find a Jobs section on Bright Journey. Maybe there should be a section here where startups can post their openings.Which early stage startups are hiring software engineers in the Boston area?

asked Mar 19 '14 at 01:14
Blank
Steve Halsted
45 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
1.73K Views
Can one person do both Marketing & Sales/Business-Development jobs?

Context: We are a small 3-developer company that sells Windows desktop software for small businesses on our website. We believe that we need both: "Marketing" - i.e. one-to-many interactions,...

asked Mar 5 '10 at 04:00
Blank
Polemarch
301 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.38K Views
Persuading software engineers to join a new startup?

I'm a non-technical founder who has been able to get by with outsourced consultants on ODesk for a while.But now that revenues are growing, I want to hire one or two PHP coders onsite. I've posted...

asked Jun 9 '14 at 18:10
Blank
Sonya Dave
19 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
How to organize your hiring pipeline?

How should a small startup organize their hiring pipeline? We're a team of 8 so don't have a dedicated HR person. Way too early for that. So we keep an excel file to manage candidates we interview....

asked Jun 11 '14 at 14:56
Blank
Michael Brown
14 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
How to get out of a one-man show pattern and hire people?

I have been running a success site for the last 6 years by myself. Most of my revenue comes from AdSense and CPA offers. While I've had years in those past 6 where I could have easily hired one or...

asked Jun 12 '14 at 15:40
Blank
Wilbert Wood
12 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Are vested shares the best way to go for a startup company to bring on new people?

We have a Hong Kong company and are trying to launch. We have limited funds but are thinking of hiring someone and paying in shares. However, we don't want to just sell shares and watch our new...

asked Jun 17 '14 at 09:16
Blank
User33966
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.23K Views
How to reject candidates after an interview?

What's the best way to say no to candidates who clearly aren't a good fit for the company?It's as awkward for me to do as firing someone. I would like to do it in a way that doesn't reflect bad on...

asked Jun 16 '14 at 23:45
Blank
Connie Banes
12 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
Advice for hiring employee #1 at a solo founder startup?

What are some challenges you've faced and advice for hiring your first employee at an un-funded, solo founder startup?I am about to launch my product and need to hire a sales person to help with...

asked Jun 17 '14 at 22:56
Blank
Maria Fagundes
7 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Founders: hiring virtual assistants for errands and small tasks?

Does anyone have any experience hiring VAs to do smaller / administrative tasks at their startup? Where did you hire them from and what are common tasks you delegated to them that made you life...

asked Jun 23 '14 at 12:43
Blank
Christy Saine
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1K Views
Are certification programs worth any credibility when evaluating candidates?

Especially in marketing, a lot of sales people have certifications from Google, BrainBench or smaller providers like ExpertRatings.Are these certification programs worth anything in terms of...

asked Jun 25 '14 at 19:42
Blank
James Campbell
12 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
What should product managers be responsible for in startups?

We are trying to scale our bootstrapped startup and one of the roles I always see startups hiring for are product managers. What roles and tasks should a product manager at a startup be responsible...

asked Jul 5 '14 at 16:12
Blank
Wesley Ramirez
2 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Does a candidates appearance / behavior on social media effect your hiring decision?

Before hiring someone, most startups try to find out as much as possible about them by hitting Google and checking their publicly available social media profiles (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram,...

asked Jul 8 '14 at 16:55
Blank
Carl Rosas
12 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Does GPA matter when hiring software engineers?

How important of a signal is the grades and college GPA of a software engineering candidate if they already have 1 or 2 years of experience?Should startups even ask for grades / transcripts of...

1 Votes
1 Answers
How do I know which languages the programmer I'm looking to hire must know?

I don't have much knowledge about programming, but I have a good idea and the resources to develop it. I'm looking for a programmer, but I don't know which programming languages he or she must...

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.02K Views
If a candidate's first question is about salary, is that a potential red flag?

During an interview, when asking candidates if they have any questions, if they first question they ask is about their salary, is that a negative?Would be an indication that they haven't bought...

asked Aug 4 '14 at 13:58
Blank
Alvin Smith
14 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
1.32K Views
What criteria should you judge candidates on when hiring?

We are looking to hire our first two employees and have no prior experience in recruiting.What are the most important things that we should look for in a candidate?The first would obviously be...

asked Aug 6 '14 at 15:42
Blank
Dennis Fidler
2 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
1.05K Views
Verifying college degrees while hiring engineers?

Should you ask for college transcripts or a copy of the college degree when hiring software engineers? Wouldn't it be easy to just lie on the resume otherwise and state you have a PhD from Harvard?

asked Aug 30 '14 at 18:13
Blank
Darin Swint
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
Best place to find freelance Ruby on Rails developers for startup MVP?

I want to create a minimum viable product for my startup idea. The concept is fairly complex which will require rails developers who have a lot of experience.The app deals with the financial...

asked Jun 5 '15 at 16:28
Blank
Angelica Hole
6 points