Hiring Questions

2 Votes
6 Answers
2.35K Views
How do we know we're ready to grow?

Is it better to make the decision to hire based only on revenue growth? Or if you saved enough money to pay another salary for 4 months, would it be better to grow first and try to increase our...

asked Nov 2 '09 at 11:14
Blank
Max Cameron
56 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
3.4K Views
Contribute to a startup as a part timer

I work as an architect in a successful product company. I am passionate about doing something of my own like building my own IP. Right now i do not want to just quit my job and do something of my...

asked Nov 6 '09 at 19:18
Blank
Siddharth
88 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.36K Views
How do I develop HR policies for a start-up from scratch?

With no budget for hiring a full-time HR person, what is the right way to develop HR policies as my startup grows.

asked Oct 18 '09 at 09:41
Blank
Anup
547 points

7 Votes
9 Answers
7.5K Views
How many programmers should a startup have?

You've got an early software project, it's reasonably popular. There's no known limit to the product's potential size or usefulness. You've just gotten funding. How many programmers do you hire?

asked Oct 22 '09 at 14:14
Blank
User1056
136 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
3.42K Views
Personality profiling for job candidates?

I've used a variety of personality profiles to gain additional insights on job candidates, regarding work and communication styles, energy levels, focus, drive etc etc. I have used the DISC Online...

asked Oct 24 '09 at 12:22
Blank
Manuel M
263 points

4 Votes
6 Answers
3.8K Views
What Job Boards Do You Use to Find High Quality Technical Talent?

At some point, we all exhaust our networks and need to look externally for talent. We're planning to do some specific recruiting around front-end and "all-around" dev folks in the next few months...

asked Oct 13 '09 at 02:04
Blank
Randfish
1,001 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
3.41K Views
Hiring and interviewing advice

I'm in the process of evaluating resumes for a web marketing / project management position. I've never considered myself very good at interviewing. Beware, my question is multi-faceted, so don't...

asked Oct 13 '09 at 13:52
Blank
Dlynton
1,057 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.07K Views
Best practices for using temp agencies for part-time administrative help?

I know this sounds like a silly question, but... do startups use temp agencies? We're attending a trade show next week and I'm concerned that our staff won't be able to handle the critical...

asked Oct 15 '09 at 00:34
Blank
Jake Bf
106 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
3.27K Views
Best place to find software development interns?

So you have decided to hire some interns... You don't have much time to go to a college/university and get the word out... where do you find the best interns for software development? I know of...

asked Oct 15 '09 at 08:55
Blank
Ricardo
4,815 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.74K Views
You have a list of potential interns for your software development shop... what do you ask to select the best ones?

SO you have a list of resumes for potential software development interns, what do you ask them to make sure you get the best one(s)?

asked Oct 15 '09 at 09:06
Blank
Ricardo
4,815 points

6 Votes
6 Answers
3.33K Views
How can a Greenhorn get experience?

In this economic climate, competition for jobs is stiff. What should a smart, hardworking recent graduate of a business school program do to try to get a job that will give him the experience he...

asked Oct 11 '09 at 02:18
Blank
Jason Evanish
83 points

3 Votes
11 Answers
3.56K Views
Where do you find candidates for hiring?

There are a number of avenues to go for hiring, like LinkedIn, traditional Craigslist, Monster listings, etc. I personally use Startuply.com (YC '08) for a lot of the hiring that I do. It's proven...

asked Oct 11 '09 at 02:33
Blank
Mark Bao
604 points

8 Votes
14 Answers
4.49K Views
How to hire the best developers?

Joel Spolsky is always writing about how companies should treat and offer the best to their developers in order to be able to get the best of them. As a startup, when the time comes and you do need...

asked Oct 10 '09 at 12:44
Blank
Ricardo
4,815 points