Hiring Questions

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.73K Views
Where to find SR developers to join your start up?

Though I have come across many developers, I still cannot find where there might be a place where Senior developers who love to work in start ups can be found and who understand financial...

asked Apr 20 '10 at 06:13
Blank
Stacey
484 points

5 Votes
9 Answers
4.69K Views
Hire or outsource web design?

When building a website in a bootstrapped startup, is it better to hire a web designer or outsource the work? All of the founders are coders and don't excel in web design. Apart from that, if the...

asked Mar 9 '10 at 23:53
Blank
Slavo
316 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
3.73K Views
How to outsource marketing / sales

First of all I know that "sales and marketing" is my business it's not something to outsource. However I'm in a different situation: I don't have budget and the long-term commitment position to...

asked Mar 22 '10 at 19:17
Blank
The Dictator
2,305 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
2.77K Views
Which is more difficult to hire, techie or marketing?

I know it's dependent on the employer's background, but in general is more difficult to hire great marketing staff or product developers?

asked Feb 24 '10 at 13:12
Blank
G Rex
683 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.59K Views
How do you tell if he/she is a great marketing candidate?

What are the methodologies you use to determine if a person would make a great marketer? For instance, I may be looking for someone who has great instinct about what the market wants and able to...

asked Feb 26 '10 at 13:58
Blank
G Rex
683 points

16 Votes
14 Answers
20K Views
Should I put my "startup" experience on my resume?

I have a similar question to this one regarding putting your "startup" on your resume. I have a full time job and started a small company on the side. My startup isn't a product company - I've been...

asked Mar 5 '10 at 07:17
Blank
George Jenson
108 points

11 Votes
9 Answers
3.61K Views
How do you recruit enough 'top talent' for your company?

For many organizations that have achieved some level of success, effectively growing the staff, without compromising the overall quality of who you bring on board, is a critical challenge. What do...

asked Feb 16 '10 at 07:09
Blank
Chris Hagner
881 points

5 Votes
7 Answers
4.45K Views
What Questions Should I Ask When Interviewing at a Startup?

The ten years I've worked since graduating college have been for companies with more than 40,000 employees. I am being interviewed by a startup. The job seems to suit me and I am ready for the...

asked Jan 21 '10 at 07:07
Blank
Dean Brundage
256 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.03K Views
What solutions are there to removing medical insurance as a barrier to startup hiring?

In the US, medical insurance is tied to the employer in the vast majority of cases. Paying for an employee health plan is beyond the means of many startups. Founders are often willing to take the...

asked Jan 23 '10 at 02:31
Blank
Mark Beadles
502 points

8 Votes
13 Answers
3.91K Views
Argh! Not knowing how to program holds me back

I have experience in running a business, in marketing, research, strategy, customer service, business development, and I have some very important ideas that I want to transform into businesses....

asked Jan 28 '10 at 20:31
Blank
Kulpreet Singh
56 points

9 Votes
10 Answers
5.91K Views
Build in-house or outsource?

I'm working with a SaaS business with a non-technical founder/CEO and am looking for pros and cons for (1) building the software in-house vs (2) outsourcing version 1.0 to a consulting firm. From...

asked Jan 8 '10 at 07:39
Blank
Torrie
230 points

4 Votes
6 Answers
4.46K Views
What do I need to know about hiring an intern?

My bootstrapped startup (Textaurant ) needs some help with market research. Since we're so close to two of my alma maters (undergrad is ~1 mile, grad is ~5 miles), I figured I would reach out to...

asked Jan 13 '10 at 03:10
Blank
Josh Sam Bob
1,578 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
4.34K Views
How to set up sales office in the US?

If, for example, I have a company headquartered outside the US and going to work with US companies. What is the best way? Set up sales office in the US or hire independent sales person? What kind...

asked Jan 19 '10 at 11:05
Blank
Oyushche
36 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
4.22K Views
What states are the best/worse to have remote employees in?

One of the issues many small companies in the US run into is wanting to hire an employee (who let's say will work from his home) that lives in a different state. I've found that some of the...

asked Dec 23 '09 at 09:31
Blank
Dane
1,866 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
3.16K Views
When hiring a consultant, what criteria do you use to evaluate them?

Over the years, I have had mixed results with hiring consultants for various jobs. I used to think that if they were referred, then that was good enough but that's not as consistent as I would...

asked Dec 29 '09 at 23:49
Blank
Jarie Bolander
11,421 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
4.79K Views
Legal document checklist (NDA, ...) when hiring part-time developers abroad?

I'm currently hiring some part-time developer abroad and wanted to make sure that I made them sign all the needed legal documents. So, normally in those cases, what would you make those future...

asked Dec 14 '09 at 15:59
Blank
Gommm
265 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.99K Views
Hiring Full-Time vs Contractors / Outsourcing Impact on Valuation?

Our SaaS startup is (hopefully) getting our first customer soon, at which point we decided to bring in additional resources to accelerate development. The basic options is whether to bring in a...

asked Dec 19 '09 at 05:14
Blank
Jean Barmash
195 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.73K Views
What is the company vision after five years in business?

I have been running my custom software and web development services as a one-man-show for 5 years now (I started working as a software developer right after graduation and after 3 years on the job,...

asked Nov 10 '09 at 02:06
Blank
Lcyoong
13 points

13 Votes
6 Answers
3.96K Views
How does a technical person evaluate an MBA-type business partner?

I've read a lot of questions asking about how an MBA can find a technical person to implement their idea, but I haven't seen the other direction. As a technical person, I know that I can get my...

asked Oct 27 '09 at 05:37
Blank
Paul Mc Millan
601 points

3 Votes
11 Answers
4.27K Views
Does a small startup really *need* someone with an MBA?

Inspired by this question, I want to know if people think a small startup (3-5 people) actually needs someone with an MBA. Especially if the group has reasonably diverse skills and isn't going the...

asked Oct 27 '09 at 08:30
Blank
Gabriel Hurley
785 points