Interviews Questions

0 Votes
0 Answers
1.65K Views
How do you tell if a candidate "gets things done"?

What question you ask and the things to look for in a CV to determine if a candidate "gets things done"?

asked Dec 19 '18 at 11:37
Blank
Rudi Adianto
138 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.34K Views
How can a non-engineer founder know if the developer they hired is any good?

I'm a non-technical founder who is hiring my first employee, a Ruby on Rails engineer. While I'm great at execution on the business end, I'm clueless when it comes to the actual tech that my...

asked Jun 12 '15 at 00:11
Blank
Mary Gould
12 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.84K Views
If a candidate's first question is about salary, is that a potential red flag?

During an interview, when asking candidates if they have any questions, if they first question they ask is about their salary, is that a negative?Would be an indication that they haven't bought...

asked Aug 4 '14 at 13:58
Blank
Alvin Smith
14 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
4.16K Views
What criteria should you judge candidates on when hiring?

We are looking to hire our first two employees and have no prior experience in recruiting.What are the most important things that we should look for in a candidate?The first would obviously be...

asked Aug 6 '14 at 15:42
Blank
Dennis Fidler
2 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.11K Views
Verifying college degrees while hiring engineers?

Should you ask for college transcripts or a copy of the college degree when hiring software engineers? Wouldn't it be easy to just lie on the resume otherwise and state you have a PhD from Harvard?

asked Aug 30 '14 at 18:13
Blank
Darin Swint
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.74K Views
Should you judge a candidate on cultural fit if they wear a suit to the interview?

For startups, if a potential candidate comes for an interview wearing a suit, is that a flag that they might not be a cultural fit?

asked May 30 '14 at 22:45
Blank
Ellen Davenport
7 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.23K Views
Take-home programming assignment for job applicants? Good or bad?

Is it better to have software engineering candidates code during the interview or let them do it from home?Since most engineers are introverts, my guess would be that allowing them to code from...

asked Apr 1 '14 at 14:59
Blank
William Thomas
7 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.37K Views
How to interview for jobs without making your current employer suspicious?

How can you take calls and go for job interviews without your current employer suspecting that you're planning to leave?

asked Mar 26 '14 at 11:14
Blank
Richard Hyslop
20 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.45K Views
Good questions to ask when you go for an interview?

What are some questions I should ask startups when I go for an interview?Things that I should know as a potential candidate (so I can qualify the company).

asked Mar 15 '14 at 11:35
Blank
John Mc Ray
30 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.55K Views
Should I ask startups about the amount of funding they've received when interviewing?

Is it okay for me to ask founders the exact amount of funding they have received when I go for interviews? While I love startups, I feel the risk is significantly higher for startups without...

asked Mar 9 '14 at 15:25
Blank
Corey Head
25 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
9.8K Views
Showing snippet of previous employer's source code during interview?

Almost all tech interviews these days ask for code samples. Would it be okay for me to show them a small snippet (a file or two) of my previous employer's source code?It's nothing that could be...

asked Mar 9 '14 at 00:53
Blank
Patrick Stone
55 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
6.81K Views
What questions are asked at the YCombinator interview?

My startup has been selected to fly over to Mountain View and interview for YCombinator. What are some of the types of questions we can expect Paul Graham to ask us?

asked Jan 29 '14 at 18:41
Blank
Tylar Michaelson
41 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
1.97K Views
interviewing a salesman for a startup

I'm starting a new venture and its already making money and I want to hire a salesman to replace me and allow me to do tech full time What should I look for in a software salesman? Which questions...

asked Nov 26 '13 at 10:23
Blank
Nur Ne
186 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.4K Views
At which point of interview process you expect that candidate tries the product?

If you are hiring the second/third employee for a Web based SaaS company, then at which point of interview process you expect that candidate tries the product? Immediately? Before phone interview?...

asked Jul 1 '13 at 14:40
Blank
User84686
139 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.99K Views
How do I differentate a customer from an early adopter?

I have an idea and talked to about 14 people who have all said it's a good to great idea. Based on this positive feedback, I have built (in about a week) a very primitive semi-working prototype...

asked Feb 5 '13 at 12:10
Blank
Elenesski
100 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
4.1K Views
Questions to ask CEO when interviewing at a startup

I've been through several rounds of technical (software developer) interviews at a start-up and have done pretty well. I've been invited back for the final round which will be with the CEO. I...

asked Sep 1 '12 at 18:22
Blank
Onmyway
13 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.48K Views
Accelerator application, second interview round - what to expect?

We are applying to an accelerator program, and got past the first two rounds, including the interview. This answer was really helpful while preparing: What should we expect in an accelerator...

asked Aug 16 '12 at 22:06
Blank
Mihaly Borbely
715 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.77K Views
What questions to ask when interviewing for a startup offering equity

I'm interviewing for a Lead Developer role in a company that is asking me to take a cut in salary in exchange for a share of equity over 3 year period. I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea, but...

asked Apr 30 '12 at 13:18
Blank
Marty Pitt
171 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.85K Views
How to attract talent as startup?

What are the best ways in attracting talent to a startup? Is it salary, a cool brand, a cool office or something else? Equity is pretty much a standard so I'm looking for some other tips. A while...

asked Nov 3 '11 at 05:47
Blank
Erotsppa
139 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
3.7K Views
If a candidate does not follow up after a job interview should I automatically dismiss them as a candidate?

If a candidate does not follow up after a job interview should I automatically dismiss them as a candidate? I have interviewed a number of very qualified candidates for a position that I am hiring...

asked Nov 5 '11 at 02:12
Blank
Dan Male
108 points