Code Questions

1 Votes
0 Answers
2.77K Views
Advice on selling source code so it can be used to create a white label site

I have a product that I created originally as a SaaS solution, but since I was in a market filled with better funded competitors, I decided to change direction and target software developers...

asked Oct 1 '13 at 21:51
Blank
Tomasmcguinness
114 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.41K Views
Who does code written by myself during a partnership belong to in the event the product is later "acquired" by the other party's company?

I was approached to do a re-skin of my work for 50/50. I agreed and continued to develop this new product. A third party joined and we agreed to 33.3% each. This new partner incorporated the...

asked Apr 7 '19 at 02:44
Blank
Sierra
1 point

4 Votes
6 Answers
5.61K Views
Should I learn to code or hire a contractor?

I'm a marketing person with an idea for an app that I want to launch. Should I spend a few weeks or months learning how to code or should I save up some money and hire a programmer?Are there...

asked Sep 3 '14 at 21:55
Blank
Doug Blackwell
22 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
4.03K Views
Can a single person design, build, and scale a website on their own without any employees?

I have been looking for a co-founder for several months and haven't found anyone I click with. Rather than going to meetups and networking events to try and find one, I've decided to just learn how...

asked May 14 '15 at 12:59
Blank
Paul Rodriguez
19 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
5.05K Views
Objective-C or the new Swift for developing iOS apps?

Apple released Swift yesterday at WWDC. It's a high level programming language that is going to make developing iOS apps much easier for new programmers.I know neither Objective-C or Swift at the...

asked Jun 4 '14 at 14:43
Blank
Theresa Darrell
14 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.34K Views
Is being good at mathematics a precursor to being a good programmer?

I'm a non-technical founder and want to delve into learning a small amount of programming skills. I feel it will help me a lot in avoiding some basic pitfalls.Most of my development is done by...

asked Apr 10 '14 at 13:56
Blank
Michael Reid
14 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.64K Views
How important is it for a SaaS startup founder to know how to code?

I started out with a business background and have some experience in UX design. But the technical side is not my greatest strength.Should I spend time in learning how to code? How important is it...

asked Apr 2 '14 at 14:58
Blank
Jeffrey Pettit
19 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.66K Views
Best programming language to develop mobile games with?

Which programming language would you recommend learning in order to be able to create a game like Flappy Bird?I have front-end skills like HTML and CSS (and a design background), and want to...

asked Mar 13 '14 at 10:40
Blank
Ronda Barger
45 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
9.8K Views
Showing snippet of previous employer's source code during interview?

Almost all tech interviews these days ask for code samples. Would it be okay for me to show them a small snippet (a file or two) of my previous employer's source code?It's nothing that could be...

asked Mar 9 '14 at 00:53
Blank
Patrick Stone
55 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.05K Views
Which language or framework to pick for new startup?

Which technology stack has the best combination of speed of development, engineering costs and ability to easily find an engineer? Both my co-founder and I are non technical and before we set...

asked Feb 2 '14 at 21:30
Blank
Levi Bowen
11 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.66K Views
Software product development for offline proven concept

We are a startup which was started a year back to understand the need of the financial distribution of corporate structured trade/off balance sheet requirement. We are based in Hong Kong and the...

asked Dec 2 '13 at 00:07
Blank
Anindita Ghosh
1 point

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.56K Views
Who owns computer code derived from trade secrets?

We had a software engineer who joined our startup for two months. We only signed an NDA with him. The engineer was supposed to get equity but our negotiations broke down and we parted ways. During...

asked Sep 4 '13 at 23:36
Blank
Karl
16 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
1.88K Views
Is it typical to place code in an escrow account when purchasing a company?

One company wants to buy 10% of another company (ours), and one of the conditions of purchase requires the placement of code in escrow. With any change in the company, which sells 10%, including...

asked Jul 19 '13 at 00:31
Blank
Dementiev
21 points

7 Votes
4 Answers
5.86K Views
Client asking for source code

I am an online software developer who does freelancing through an online portal. I started this last year but achieved success only this year. I found a very good client who said he has a job chain...

asked Jul 21 '13 at 03:22
Blank
Super Nova
138 points

-1 Votes
2 Answers
1.95K Views
Code of closed down Startups?

Haven't been able to find a clear answer to this (as there may not be one), but what happens to the code of closed down startups? Putting aside the issue of whether they took VC or not, and...

asked Jul 4 '13 at 03:53
Blank
User464180
159 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.49K Views
Charging by coding hour

I was wondering and am having trouble finding... ballpark figures for what people charge by the coding hour (the market rate). I understand that there are many factors that come into play here that...

asked Apr 27 '13 at 03:23
Blank
Random Us1r
123 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.78K Views
Hiring Programmers and Code Storage

I have two freelancers working for me right now and I am using Freelancer.com where you simply send code back and forth by zipping it and using their proprietary messaging system which is clunky....

asked May 2 '13 at 21:16
Blank
Clifgray
200 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
2.61K Views
How to have reliable developers and securing code from being stolen

I have couple of concept for website but they require immense coding and designing. For that I am planning to hire developers and designers [Contractors]. As I know this is going to take couple of...

asked Mar 15 '13 at 22:23
Blank
Zerotoinfinite
133 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.83K Views
Where to get a Paid Software/Code Review

I have written a pretty extensive webapp and it is going to go live in the next fews weeks and before I really publicize it I want to get some professionals to review it for optimization and best...

asked Dec 5 '12 at 08:17
Blank
Clifgray
200 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.9K Views
provisional patent and source code and/or video

I would really appreciate if anyone could help me answer the following. I am currently at MIT and attempting to submit a complete provisional application for a SaaS service I am about to launch....

asked Jun 20 '12 at 03:15
Blank
Somid3
195 points