Technology Questions

57 Votes
7 Answers
37.7K Views
Why would OKCupid write their own web server?

OKCupid wrote their own web server. Isn't the technology stack basically a commodity at this point? They serve a lot of people and want to be fast, but there are very large companies that use MSFT...

asked Mar 10 '11 at 07:18
Blank
Michael Pryor
2,250 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
7.34K Views
I have an idea but need a developer to create it. How do I go about finding someone to build my app?

I have an idea for a web app, but I do not possess the technical skills to develop it. I don't think it's a very complex application to build. How do I go about finding someone to create it? Is it...

asked Jul 8 '14 at 03:23
Blank
Courtney O'connell
11 points

8 Votes
4 Answers
14.3K Views
kickstarter alternatives for non US startups?

I've recently been looking into getting funding for my startup (we're building a web-based social platform). I've looked into www.kickstarter.com and it looks pretty cool however it is only open to...

asked May 20 '11 at 22:04
Blank
Pacerier
317 points

5 Votes
9 Answers
32.9K Views
Making money from Improving existing products

If I come up with an improvement to an existing product, how do I protect myself when sharing it, and get some of the revenues the idea generates? There are many times when I look at an existing...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 16:10
Blank
Ron Ga
2,181 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
4.06K Views
Will consumers expect a SSL secured site as a default standard, even if your site doesn't do financial transactions?

More and more startups seem to be using SSL sites as the default (even for their logged out states). Is this a trend to provide better privacy for consumers that has become the norm?SSL definitely...

asked May 5 '14 at 13:21
Blank
Karen Russ
7 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.89K Views
Technical founders: what tools would lessen your productivity if they didn't exist?

What are the some technical tools and software that you use, which if they didn't exist, would put a sizable dent in your productivity?

asked May 15 '14 at 15:11
Blank
Margaret Roberson
6 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
12.5K Views
How much equity should I give up to the app developers?

I am in the process of designing a mobile app and i'm at the stage where I need to finalise the cost with the developers. They have sent me a quote which I believe to be quite high, however they...

asked Mar 11 '13 at 09:56
Blank
Jack
8 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
4.62K Views
Alternative to reCAPTCHA to prevent automated signups?

I tried adding reCaptcha to my signup page in order to prevent automated signups (we're having a problem where someone is creating hundreds of accounts a day to spam).Adding the captcha resulted in...

asked Apr 19 '14 at 01:27
Blank
Mark Guy
7 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
3.14K Views
Non technical founders: how do you select your technology stack?

I'm a non-technical founder who is going to be using contractors on ODesk to build the MVP. How do I decide on which technologies to pick?- PHP andMySQL- Rails and PostGres- Node.jsEtc.How you...

asked Mar 29 '14 at 16:45
Blank
John Stinnett
4 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.59K Views
I'm a highly skilled tech person with little business acumen. How can I find startups looking for a CTO?

I'm a full stack software engineer who knows how to architect and build enterprise scale applications. I don't, however, have an idea for a business or knowledge of how to execute the business side...

asked Mar 17 '14 at 21:41
Blank
Yvonne Ingraham
85 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.8K Views
Is it legal to reverse-engineer a software in the US?

I'm creating a mac application that supports a file format from a closed-source application. We tried to contact the company but they refused to make their proprietary file format...

asked Feb 9 '14 at 09:49
Blank
Beau Wrixon
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.05K Views
Which language or framework to pick for new startup?

Which technology stack has the best combination of speed of development, engineering costs and ability to easily find an engineer? Both my co-founder and I are non technical and before we set...

asked Feb 2 '14 at 21:30
Blank
Levi Bowen
11 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
5.86K Views
Copyright and Ownership of Code in a Tech Startup

I am currently involved in a Canadian tech startup, and as I am about to enter equity negotiations, I would like to clarify the ownership and copyright of the code base, to better understand the...

asked Jul 8 '13 at 08:55
Blank
Chris
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.32K Views
How to overcome this business fear?

I am a techie, now creating few amazing text extraction tech(yes, few of them are world's first related to web data). I am full time into it, and still I do not have any problem going opensource if...

asked Jul 15 '13 at 21:26
Blank
Akshayb
116 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.43K Views
Valuing a Social Technology startup using EBITDA makes sense?

We're finalizing the details of a new shareholders agreement but we're stuck at setting the EBITDA multiple that will get used for future valuation of the company. The agreement was written by one...

asked Jul 4 '13 at 18:24
Blank
Shreef
21 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
2.23K Views
Incubator for pay?

Say, I have: An idea for a tech company / product, that I want to get realized. Sufficient time, right now. Seed capital, which I am willing also to spend on guidance. Citizenship in a country...

asked May 18 '13 at 02:13
Blank
Feklee
148 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.47K Views
Implementation partners-protecting source code

I have an existing SAAS platform and I am in the process of working with multiple implementation partners or vendors for some enhancements. How do I make sure my source code is protected? Some of...

asked Mar 7 '13 at 03:35
Blank
User8226
197 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.36K Views
What do tech startups look for in potential employees?

I'm a computer science student at Bristol University in the UK, and I'm looking to work for a startup when I graduate, as I have always had a strong interest in business and feel working for a...

asked Mar 17 '13 at 04:17
Blank
Ryan
4 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.38K Views
How common is it to raise money for a company that will provide a variety of unrelated products?

My partner and I have come up with a unique technology that can provide a solution to many small scale problems. We've been working on the technology full-time for the past 5 months and now we are...

asked Feb 20 '13 at 19:57
Blank
Daniel
18 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.61K Views
From freelance to CTO: conditions

I am currently working as a Freelance mobile programmer for a start-up since the project started, but I have always given my opinion and advise about business development (for free), and it came...

asked Jan 15 '13 at 10:26
Blank
K20
101 points