Technology Questions

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.79K Views
WhatsApp technical stack? How are their system able to handle so much traffic?

Does anyone know the stack that Whatsapp is built on? They process billions of sms messages a day and it would be interesting to study how they scale that?

asked Feb 28 '14 at 15:24
Blank
Jose Jackson
5 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.39K Views
What are the best personal blogs about technology, software, lifehacks?

I'd like to read more interesting blogs on these topics.

asked Feb 16 '17 at 08:17
Blank
Of Adventure
1 point

8 Votes
4 Answers
11.8K Views
kickstarter alternatives for non US startups?

I've recently been looking into getting funding for my startup (we're building a web-based social platform). I've looked into www.kickstarter.com and it looks pretty cool however it is only open to...

asked May 20 '11 at 22:04
Blank
Pacerier
317 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.92K Views
I have an idea but need a developer to create it. How do I go about finding someone to build my app?

I have an idea for a web app, but I do not possess the technical skills to develop it. I don't think it's a very complex application to build. How do I go about finding someone to create it? Is it...

asked Jul 8 '14 at 03:23
Blank
Courtney O'connell
11 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
Where are all the Southern UK Tech Entrepreneurs?

Apologies if this is too off-topic to post, I thought I'd give it a go anyway. So basically I'm starting my own tech startup and meetup events / networking are pretty rare near me, I was wondering...

asked Jun 1 '15 at 14:40
Blank
Reece Matthews
76 points

5 Votes
9 Answers
18.9K Views
Making money from Improving existing products

If I come up with an improvement to an existing product, how do I protect myself when sharing it, and get some of the revenues the idea generates? There are many times when I look at an existing...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 16:10
Blank
Ron Ga
2,176 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.23K Views
Will consumers expect a SSL secured site as a default standard, even if your site doesn't do financial transactions?

More and more startups seem to be using SSL sites as the default (even for their logged out states). Is this a trend to provide better privacy for consumers that has become the norm?SSL definitely...

1 Votes
0 Answers
Which hosting platform to choose: VPS, PaaS, dedicated servers, or colocation?

I have a new web app which is a little resource intensive. It is an analytics tool that has to do tens of writes to the database per second!Which hosting option would you recommend for a...

asked Sep 3 '14 at 16:12
Blank
Edith Tews
7 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
Should you start using Apple's new Swift programing language to build apps? Or wait until the dust settles?

Trying to replace the existing Objective-C with Swift is a bold move by Apple. On one hand, it could make developing iOS and Mac apps easier. On the other hand, it continues to create a disconnect...

asked Jun 3 '14 at 19:28
Blank
Lori Davis
6 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
How to ensure your develop your SaaS application with fewest bugs as possible?

How do makers of popular SaaS apps try to ensure their software is free of bugs and errors? I currently hire a quality assurance freelancer to test out the software with a list of specific tasks to...

asked May 21 '14 at 20:13
Blank
Edith King
1 point

1 Votes
0 Answers
Sharing source code for ODesk workers?

We are going to be hiring a engineer or two from ODesk. One concern that we have is our source being given to another employer later or made publicly available. For our startup, our technology is...

asked May 21 '14 at 18:44
Blank
David Bishop
7 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.09K Views
Technical founders: what tools would lessen your productivity if they didn't exist?

What are the some technical tools and software that you use, which if they didn't exist, would put a sizable dent in your productivity?

asked May 15 '14 at 15:11
Blank

0 Votes
0 Answers
Are there any large scale applications build on Python?

The other two larger alternatives, PHP and Rails, have had large scale startups built upon it. Facebook with PHP. Twitter with Rails. Does a company this level been built on Python? Is there a...

asked May 10 '14 at 14:45
Blank
Edward Morin
2 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
6.09K Views
How much equity should I give up to the app developers?

I am in the process of designing a mobile app and i'm at the stage where I need to finalise the cost with the developers. They have sent me a quote which I believe to be quite high, however they...

asked Mar 11 '13 at 09:56
Blank
Jack
8 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
Alternative to reCAPTCHA to prevent automated signups?

I tried adding reCaptcha to my signup page in order to prevent automated signups (we're having a problem where someone is creating hundreds of accounts a day to spam).Adding the captcha resulted in...

asked Apr 19 '14 at 01:27
Blank
Mark Guy
7 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
Non technical founders: how do you select your technology stack?

I'm a non-technical founder who is going to be using contractors on ODesk to build the MVP. How do I decide on which technologies to pick?- PHP andMySQL- Rails and PostGres- Node.jsEtc.How you...

asked Mar 29 '14 at 16:45
Blank
John Stinnett
4 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
What are some jobs that technology has made completely obsolete?

Are there any professions that are now completely obsolete because a technology has taken it over?I'm writing an article on this and have ran out of ideas.

asked Mar 19 '14 at 17:55
Blank
Susan Rocker
30 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
I'm a highly skilled tech person with little business acumen. How can I find startups looking for a CTO?

I'm a full stack software engineer who knows how to architect and build enterprise scale applications. I don't, however, have an idea for a business or knowledge of how to execute the business side...

asked Mar 17 '14 at 21:41
Blank
Yvonne Ingraham
85 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Best way to permanently erase a hard drive (without resorting to having a bon fire in the backyard)?

I pulled hard drives out of old laptops that I have owned and have tried to format it using a disk utility (7 passes). Is that sufficient to ensure data cannot be recovered from the drives? Or is...

asked Mar 12 '14 at 12:42
Blank
Charles Johnson
30 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
What tasks do you hire interns for in your tech startup?

What are some things that you would hire interns for in your startup and delegate to them?Do you spend a significant amount of time in training the interns? What are some pros and cons of hiring...

asked Mar 17 '14 at 16:05
Blank
Corinne Johnson
35 points