CTO Questions

0 Votes
0 Answers
1.92K Views
What equity should I expect in this scenario?

I'm interested in joining an early stage startup and have a question regarding what is the expected equity I should be offered. This is the scenario:1. The startup has a single founder who is the...

asked Dec 12 '18 at 00:02
Blank
SWlkz
1 point

0 Votes
2 Answers
20.5K Views
My partner and I, want to bring a CTO on board since we don't have technical background. We already started with our start-up and agreed with the CTO on equity basis, what contract to use?

My partner and I, want to bring a CTO on board since we don't have technical background. We already started with our start-up and agreed with the CTO on equity basis (no investment from his end),...

asked Aug 13 '17 at 14:25
Blank
Zeid A
1 point

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.32K Views
How to get over "redesign entire app" or "recode from scratch" syndrome?

As a founder of a few apps, I always get caught up in redesigning or recoding an entire app from scratch.Sometimes it's because I'm not satisfied with the first iteration (or have been staring at...

asked Aug 29 '14 at 15:29
Blank
David Ponder
17 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
4K Views
CTO wants 30% , should I accept?

I need a CTO to join my start up. It is a mobile app. His proposal: 30% equity and wants a 20% employee pool. Leaving me with a 50:30 split. What I bring to the table:1) I am technical. One...

asked Dec 30 '14 at 00:58
Blank
User34199
46 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.9K Views
Technical founders: what tools would lessen your productivity if they didn't exist?

What are the some technical tools and software that you use, which if they didn't exist, would put a sizable dent in your productivity?

asked May 15 '14 at 15:11
Blank
Margaret Roberson
6 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.46K Views
CTO's tasks at a funded startup with 3-4 engineers?

What kind of day to day tasks does a CTO deal with at a seed-funded startup (seed, not series A) that has ~4 software engineers? I'm looking to apply for such positions on AngelList and curious...

asked Mar 31 '14 at 17:12
Blank
James Thompson
21 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.6K Views
I'm a highly skilled tech person with little business acumen. How can I find startups looking for a CTO?

I'm a full stack software engineer who knows how to architect and build enterprise scale applications. I don't, however, have an idea for a business or knowledge of how to execute the business side...

asked Mar 17 '14 at 21:41
Blank
Yvonne Ingraham
85 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.61K Views
Equity for CTO, brought on around beta

I'm in a predicament. I currently work as a Senior Software Engineer for a medium sized company (top 200 website in U.S.) and get paid above average. This company treats me very well, the people...

asked Mar 11 '14 at 17:15
Blank
User33845
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.13K Views
Knowledge of algorithms required to be a CTO or VP of Engineering?

I have several years of experience developing software and managing small teams. But I struggle with learning about algorithms. Does that put a huge negative on me being a CTO in the near...

asked Feb 26 '14 at 15:16
Blank
Oscar Bennett
35 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
1.82K Views
joining as a CTO but want to keep existing job, expectations

I have been approached by a previous co-worker to become a CTO for a startup that they are creating. Its in the very early stage (company hasn't even been formally formed yet but there is a willing...

CTO
asked Nov 8 '13 at 21:36
Blank
Mel
101 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.94K Views
How much salary and equity to ask for CTO?

I am recently approach by one start up company CEO to work for him as CTO. There will be 3 person in team,CEO,CTO,CFO. My responsibilities in company would be to look after all such tech. part and...

asked Sep 26 '13 at 06:09
Blank
Daniel
13 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.37K Views
Is a CTO mandatory in a startup?

We are currently facing the problem of deciding who should be the CTO. Up until now we have divided responsibilities and duties in the following way: a person is responsible for the frontend a...

asked Aug 27 '13 at 23:53
Blank
Walbell
6 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
8.1K Views
Equity for Startup Lead Developer/CTO (pre-funding, pre-launch)

Prerequisites I'm an experienced developer with broad knowledge of software engineering matters, having contacts in outsourcing companies and access to great talented tech people. At the moment I'm...

asked Jul 27 '13 at 06:00
Blank
Vasily Ulianko
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.62K Views
From freelance to CTO: conditions

I am currently working as a Freelance mobile programmer for a start-up since the project started, but I have always given my opinion and advise about business development (for free), and it came...

asked Jan 15 '13 at 10:26
Blank
K20
101 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.24K Views
CTO, what are the key elements that define your vision?

Maybe i'm mixing CTO with VP of Engineering here. But as a CTO early on in a 5 person startup that haven't built a prototype yet...What are the key topics or areas that you must have a vision for...

asked Dec 8 '12 at 12:59
Blank
Rbend
18 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
9.39K Views
Can I hire two CTOs for my Startup?

I would like to prevent being dependant on one CTO, because fast and efficient progress is too important. Is it possible to hire two CTOs at the beginning? Or will it be similar to hiring two...

asked Oct 28 '12 at 03:57
Blank
Daniel Jan Neetzel
21 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.16K Views
Looking for advice on developing my skills as a CTO

I'm currently in the process of building a startup with two co-founders (both are business people). Since I've been a developer in a wide-range of technologies I'll handle the CTO role. This won't...

asked Nov 2 '12 at 00:49
Blank
Alex K.
18 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
3.19K Views
Do I need a technical cofounder?

I am in the very early stages of my first startup. I am not technical so I was wondering if getting a technical cofounder should be my first step or if I can go it alone with just my idea at first?...

asked Jul 29 '12 at 06:23
Blank
Peter
21 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.09K Views
Rights of parties holding interest in a company

I've been part of a small team at a startup (LLC) for about a year and a half now (since inception), working unders a PSA (Professional Services Agreement) that grants me a "membership interest"....

asked Jul 13 '12 at 08:37
Blank
David Oritz
8 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
3.01K Views
In search of a CTO, what information to share?

We are actively looking for a co-founder/CTO. Tomorrow we are going to our first Meetup event to start meeting people and shmooze. As of now we have a wireframe 95% complete, but we have only...

CTO
asked Jun 28 '12 at 14:54
Blank
Derek
164 points