Micro Startup Questions

32 Votes
12 Answers
9.38K Views
What to do next? Micro startup existential crisis

I built a small web app based on the freemium model. Free accounts are free forever, paid accounts have 3 tiers: 5, 15 and 25 bucks a month. I'm the only person behind the app, 100% self funded....

asked Nov 18 '10 at 01:33
Blank
Deb
314 points

43 Votes
3 Answers
17.7K Views
Are there any blogs or websites introducing new websites?

I want to know is there any blogs or websites introducing some of new websites? New start-up websites are always looking for report and introduction by other famous websites. As we know,...

asked Oct 24 '11 at 06:30
Blank
Anlai
375 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
4.59K Views
Subscription billing for a B2B SaaS

I understand I can either go with a combination of: Payment Gateway (ex: Authorize.net) and Subscription management service (Spreedly, Cheddargettar) or go with one solution that provides both...

asked Mar 29 '12 at 01:27
Blank
User3462
345 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
12.5K Views
How much equity should I give up to the app developers?

I am in the process of designing a mobile app and i'm at the stage where I need to finalise the cost with the developers. They have sent me a quote which I believe to be quite high, however they...

asked Mar 11 '13 at 09:56
Blank
Jack
8 points

-1 Votes
1 Answers
2.07K Views
Building a new product: School management software for wordpress

Me and my friend have a new registered company that is a software development firm. We are planning to launch a school management software product. The problem is, we, at first, thought to design...

asked Aug 3 '13 at 03:50
Blank
Ashutosh
101 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.04K Views
Changing my publication name to another one

I have launched a publication last year August 2012. So far I have 365 readers. Now I realised that the market is changing and also need to get along with the change. I also want to incorporate a...

asked Apr 25 '13 at 00:47
Blank
User25994
1 point

8 Votes
11 Answers
3.98K Views
Should we add "About -> The Team" when our company is only 5 people?

It's widespread among (mostly web development) non-huge companies to add a page about the team members of their company, like SE's Team page here, where they have separate page for their team, or...

asked May 7 '13 at 10:04
Blank
Tamer Shlash
144 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.76K Views
Need help to understand the pros and cons between open source vs closed source license for webapp?

I'd like to ask you for the help/advise to come out of the problem that came out recently in our group. We're working for 3-4 months on the web application similar to http://instagram.com/ or...

asked May 10 '13 at 22:06
Blank
Igor
111 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.56K Views
Appropriate equity for marketing / development work?

Looking for a little guidance on an equity offer for a project I'm involved in. I was approached six months ago by a founder-developer who has written software to accomplish an idea originated by...

asked Mar 14 '13 at 18:08
Blank
Alan
1 point

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.5K Views
Small fee service and bookkeeping

I want to minimise startup costs so by reading many useful posts here I've came to a conclusion that bookkeeping and accountancy are the biggest cost if you are starting small. My service is going...

asked Mar 1 '13 at 20:19
Blank
Ivan Von Turkovich
21 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.38K Views
Help with SaaS and bookkeeping

I am going to start a company for a simple online service which should sell digital goods to customers. Since I am new in running business world there are few things I need to learn. I've tried to...

asked Mar 5 '13 at 09:43
Blank
Ivan Von Turkovich
21 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.16K Views
One person Startup SaaS

I am currently in planning phase for a SaaS application for the UK market. The idea is it will be a small application with few functionality to begin with and then add new features as we go....

asked Feb 14 '13 at 19:44
Blank
User25018
109 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.68K Views
How should we compensate a non-founder in a new web-based business who is critical to the launch of the business?

We are in the very early stage of organizing and launching a new web-based business. There are two co-founders - one who is CTO and one who is CEO. In addition, we will be including a third person...

asked Feb 15 '13 at 02:15
Blank
User25024
6 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
4.04K Views
Starting local (non-English) news portal, where to get free content? Paid content at reasonable price?

Starting local news portal on specific industry. Lets assume, that this is healthcare news, and portal is in French. Question is: where to get news sources for that portal like latest news and...

asked Feb 7 '13 at 21:56
Blank
Mark
1 point

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.54K Views
'Using' others' ideas - what's the legality?

So a bunch of friends are always pitching ideas to each other. One day, one of my friends does one of these "this would be a great idea for a site". It's blown off as another of his 'ideas', but...

asked Jan 18 '13 at 09:29
Blank
Mark Mayo
106 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.28K Views
Using Verb as Prefix in company URL

I have came up with a term for the company I want to make. Please read it's company not a Product URL. The names that usually came in my mind...

asked Dec 22 '12 at 01:08
Blank
Volatil3
108 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.23K Views
CTO, what are the key elements that define your vision?

Maybe i'm mixing CTO with VP of Engineering here. But as a CTO early on in a 5 person startup that haven't built a prototype yet...What are the key topics or areas that you must have a vision for...

asked Dec 8 '12 at 12:59
Blank
Rbend
18 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.21K Views
Reasonable split for non money making start up

A friend of mine has a website that is generating decent traffic. I'm a web designer and he has asked me to re-design it all and build part of it. Part of the work involves helping him make...

asked Nov 6 '12 at 02:31
Blank
Mattysk
1 point

9 Votes
1 Answers
3.37K Views
Fired from startup, vested equity

I was recently terminated from a startup without cause, where I was one of several founders owning a decent percentage of stock. We also had an angel investor (incubator) in with us for a small...

asked Jul 13 '12 at 16:31
Blank
Startup Monster
48 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.86K Views
Does one man startup require signing any legal documents?

Ok, let say. I have created a web based application, registered a domain name, and hosted it on the Internet. Can I say it's a one man startup? If not, then: What will it be if I just host my app...

asked Apr 16 '12 at 17:25
Blank
Anon
6 points