Compensation Questions

0 Votes
0 Answers
1.82K Views
How do you pay bonuses for Growth Marketers?

I am thinking of working for a company that can pay its Growth Marketers bonuses that are tied to revenue generation. For example, if we close a $100,000 contract, how much should the Growth...

asked May 27 '19 at 17:24
Blank
B Ch
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.66K Views
How do you decide what salary to pay employees or partners when you first profit?

Suppose there is a situation like this: There are 3 people in a startup, the CEO, a partner, and an investor (very small angel). The investor does no work but has 7.5% equity and 7.5% net profit...

asked Nov 24 '13 at 09:06
Blank
Goose
16 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.12K Views
Should I (cofounder) give up my voting rights?

I am a cofounder with shares that have voting rights. We have 3 founders - One with majority shares (a little more than the other two combined). I come from tech background while other 2 founders...

asked Aug 19 '13 at 05:48
Blank
Santu
156 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.82K Views
Prefunded startup employee compensation

I'm going to be working for a startup that is prefunding. They have received a grant for housing and a bit more. I was wondering what I should negotiate in terms of salary and equity. I don't want...

asked Aug 25 '13 at 08:43
Blank
Sean Fisher
108 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
8.09K Views
Equity for Startup Lead Developer/CTO (pre-funding, pre-launch)

Prerequisites I'm an experienced developer with broad knowledge of software engineering matters, having contacts in outsourcing companies and access to great talented tech people. At the moment I'm...

asked Jul 27 '13 at 06:00
Blank
Vasily Ulianko
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.01K Views
How do I handle compensating a non-member of an LLC for IP?

My partners and I are in the process of forming an LLC for our startup. We're admittedly pretty new to this, and I'm confused about how to handle compensations for some IP a non-member contributed....

asked Jul 30 '13 at 23:28
Blank
Samuel Kordik
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
4.35K Views
Accepting stock options from another company while in H1B

I am currently working for a company and I'm on an H1B. I know that I cannot accept compensation from any other employer but the company that filed for my visa. What if another company grants me...

asked Jul 17 '13 at 09:35
Blank
Gevorg
106 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.25K Views
What is a good cash/equity mix for a 1099 programmer and/or designer for 4 to 6 month term?

We have been coding now for about 6 months on our startup. Up until now, we have bootstrapped the entire project on pennies, being cash poor. Fortunately we were able to raise a small friends and...

asked Apr 10 '13 at 05:44
Blank
Derek
164 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
1.91K Views
Startup employer asking for w-2

I had an interview at a startup and things went well. The HR called me later and asked me what my expectation of salary was. I then told them what I was expecting. A week later, they came back...

asked Mar 15 '13 at 13:30
Blank
Montage9
1 point

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.26K Views
It is common for salaries to stay below market rate even after an initial venture round?

I am employee #1 in a startup with some substantial equity in it. Our startup was funded by angel money and I have worked from the beginning for a salary way below market rate. Now, venture round...

asked Mar 17 '13 at 02:55
Blank
User25504
16 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
1.98K Views
Fair equity/cash for one year's contribution?

So I asked a broader question on this situation before, but am now trying to narrow it down to the core issue after negotiations failed yet again with my co-founders. I am a tech guy who joined a...

asked Feb 27 '13 at 04:37
Blank
User25060
6 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.68K Views
How should we compensate a non-founder in a new web-based business who is critical to the launch of the business?

We are in the very early stage of organizing and launching a new web-based business. There are two co-founders - one who is CTO and one who is CEO. In addition, we will be including a third person...

asked Feb 15 '13 at 02:15
Blank
User25024
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.12K Views
How much equity for co-founder reducing role for academic program?

I'm a technical co-founder in a pre-funding company in a niche tech segment, working with two non-technical co-founders who have largely overlapping skill sets. I met them at a networking event and...

asked Feb 17 '13 at 15:07
Blank
User25060
6 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.88K Views
Asked to be CEO -- what should I ask for?

I have been appoached by a private equity firm that has an idea -- a good one -- and $5M. They've asked me to be CEO and make it happen. They requested I make the opening bid for compensation and...

asked Feb 8 '13 at 13:44
Blank
User23925
21 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
6.94K Views
What is an acceptable commission structure for a marketing rep?

I am a marketing professional with over 10 years of successful experience. My specialty area is strategic thinking/planning. Recently a local company in its first year of operation asked if I...

asked Jan 18 '13 at 12:56
Blank
Carol Hughes
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.8K Views
Which is the standard way of compensating against dillution?

First some context to my question. I started working in a startup a year ago. Since then I've been working part time on it (around 15-20 hours a week) in an informal way (no remuneration), while...

asked Jan 5 '13 at 07:40
Blank
Lightman
8 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.54K Views
Equity for First paid Tech-employee in a not-profitable financed Startup

I'm trying to be as specific as possible here: We are a Startup 5 months on the go with three co-founders. Since none of us can truly code we need to employ our first Web-developer and we have...

asked Dec 20 '12 at 03:08
Blank
Clemens Kemper
16 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.88K Views
SaaS founders incentives: Business and Technology

We are two 50/50 founders of an enterprise SaaS company. both cofounders are tech people with a good grasp of business knowledge. Mainly, one of our cofounders brought most of our clients and...

asked Dec 28 '12 at 07:14
Blank
Sd Reyes
156 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.03K Views
Restricted Stock Units (RSU) in a job offer

I've seen a few job offers where in addition to the salary the company offers X,000 Restricted Stock Units (RSU). I'm still trying to understand owning equity as one of the early employees for a...

asked Dec 6 '12 at 05:39
Blank
Wwwuser
125 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.03K Views
What's typical in terms of royalties?

I'm a developer negotiating compensation for a commercialized version of some data analysis software I wrote (see my profile if you like). This is a completely new experience for me. I want...

asked Dec 14 '12 at 05:23
Blank
Matt Phillips
108 points