Independent Contractor Questions

0 Votes
0 Answers
US employer paying EU independent contractor

So I have an LLC in the US that runs a stock image website, and we pay designers who contribute images as independent contractors. At the end of the year we send out 1099-misc forms to everyone,...

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.28K Views
Taking on a new team member and paying only in equity - legal aspects and pitfalls

Here's my situation. I founded a company very recently (currently an LLC) and have no external funding. I also don't have deep pockets. This is for a startup in the US in Washington state. I...

asked Dec 5 '13 at 18:53
Blank
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
how do I effectively market my skill as an independent contractor?

For the past 7 years I have been working for a defense contractor working on customizing content management systems (well known EMC and Atlassian products). I feel like I have gained enough...

asked Nov 18 '13 at 14:54
Blank
User29701
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
What is a good cash/equity mix for a 1099 programmer and/or designer for 4 to 6 month term?

We have been coding now for about 6 months on our startup. Up until now, we have bootstrapped the entire project on pennies, being cash poor. Fortunately we were able to raise a small friends and...

asked Apr 10 '13 at 05:44
Blank
Derek
164 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
LLC Pass Through Income Taxation

I'm working for a client who is doing business as a LLC in CA. He represents merchants by advertising them on certain websites. His commission is taken out from the sales received from the...

asked Feb 13 '13 at 03:50
Blank
Cong Xiao
6 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
How to be competitive on freelance sites

I am a web designer/developer in the US and I am very interested in obtaining freelance work via the Internet. However, sites such as ODesk and Elance seem unfavorable to freelancers who need to...

asked Nov 14 '12 at 13:32
Blank
Darren
103 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
What are fair terms to hire a business development consultant?

As a startup, we are talking to a business development consultant. He will do business development in a particular country for us. What are the key terms we need to be careful about in a contract...

asked Oct 13 '12 at 00:40
Blank
Ben
1 point

2 Votes
3 Answers
Paying a contractor to be "on call"?

We're looking at hiring a systems administrator contractor at a certain hourly rate to do sysadmin-y things. So far, this is easy enough for me to wrap my brain around. But during certain hours,...

asked Oct 17 '12 at 02:11
Blank
Todofixthis
183 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Sending Subcontractor 1099

If a contractor hires a subcontractor (including them in the contract) for a job, what are the contractor's tax obligations? If I understand it correctly, all that the contractor has to do is...

asked Aug 7 '12 at 12:19
Blank
User1062058
22 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Switching Incorporation Business Name to Independent Contractor

What is the process of switching a US-registered fictitious business name from an Inc ran by one individual to an Independent Contractor? This question is based around the Inc deing dissolved,...

asked Aug 7 '12 at 21:05
Blank
User1062058
22 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Rights of parties holding interest in a company

I've been part of a small team at a startup (LLC) for about a year and a half now (since inception), working unders a PSA (Professional Services Agreement) that grants me a "membership interest"....

asked Jul 13 '12 at 08:37
Blank
David Oritz
8 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
How much equity for a graphic designer doing contract work?

Possible Duplicate: A graphic designer working for equity My business partner and I have been working on our project for a couple months. We are 50-50 co-founders both working full-time and...

2 Votes
2 Answers
Paying S-Corp Owner Directly from Main Bank Account

I run a small US-based startup, (an S Corp), I am also a contractor of this business. Am I able to withdrawl money from the main business banking account and pay myself (a contractor) without...

asked Jul 16 '12 at 06:22
Blank
User1062058
22 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
Creating a business from a customized application solution?

I have been working on a medium sized web application for a large client, on site, for 3 years. I work as a contractor on the project, handling most of the coding, but the application itself and...

asked Jul 19 '12 at 02:01
Blank
User357320
113 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.05K Views
How much equity should I give for contracted labor?

I am the sole founder of a bootstrapped startup (idea conceived by me, revenue model and business plan developed by me, and I filed a provisional process patent for the concept). I have incoporated...

asked May 3 '12 at 10:40
Blank
Ric Bray
13 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
Is there anything special an underage founder/freelancer doing business with startups needs to be aware of?

Since I'm not a legal adult, is there anything special I need to watch out for in terms of startup culture? Technically, I can get out of any legal agreement (since they can't be binding until I'm...

asked Mar 25 '12 at 10:48
Blank
Jrg
247 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.38K Views
stock options or convertible notes?

I will be joining as a senior developer on a startup and I will be working 20 hours a week remotely. I have a day job which pays my bills now. The company is not funded yet so we will not be given...

asked Apr 5 '12 at 01:59
Blank
Java Mouse
113 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
Hiring first person employee vs contractor

I have bootstrapped a startup in NY and am ready to hire a person. Should I hire this person as a contractor or as an employee. I realize that there are many laws and logistics around hiring an...

asked Feb 25 '12 at 08:06
Blank
User15995
42 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Contracts for Revenue Sharing

I'm an independent game developer with a team consisting of solely of myself. I am considering to hire a Creative Director who will help me complete my projects. I am promising 10% of the revenue...

asked Feb 7 '12 at 19:11
Blank
Abdulla
106 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
What year to payments to subcontractors count, for tax purposes?

In what year do payments to subcontactors count, for tax purposes? For example if I don't make the payment until after Jan 1 but the money was earned the previous year, which tax year does that...

asked Jan 2 '12 at 05:37
Blank
Don Zacharias
132 points