Web Design Questions

2 Votes
0 Answers
3.74K Views
How to start a web development/design business without appearing too "corporate"?

These days, I've noticed that a lot of the one man (woman) shops all try to appear larger than life, i.e. go for a corporate look. I find that given how Social Media has progressed, this isn't a...

asked Jan 7 '12 at 13:18
Blank
Ray
215 points

-1 Votes
2 Answers
1.69K Views
Difference between Web Development and Web Design?

Web development and web design are usually used interchangeably, but they are not the same. Web design is a part of web development which covers a lot of services. Can any one give me main...

asked Dec 10 '13 at 16:00
Blank
Rebena
17 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.42K Views
Promoting and Advertising a Web Design Start Up?

Over the past few years I have gained a strong interest in Web Development and I finally decided it was time to take it to the next level... Start selling my services as a Web Developer. I am more...

asked Aug 18 '13 at 01:57
Blank
Skovy
51 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.84K Views
Do You Do Market Research Before Creating Web Designs?

A web design should bring you closer to your customers. To do this effectively, your web designer must understand who they’re building the website for. In the end, you may want your site for you,...

asked Aug 21 '13 at 12:27
Blank
Ernestina Meurer
1 point

1 Votes
5 Answers
2.49K Views
Deciding between hiring a developer or building the website myself

I'm looking to start an online business. I have an idea and I have it on paper. I am not sure if I should use a web developer or if I should use one of the builders I keep coming across online. I...

asked Aug 3 '13 at 06:06
Blank
User27165
8 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
2.43K Views
Length of Sign-up process- help?

I am starting a website consisting of info of local shops. now I am in a dilemma over the vendor sign-up process, I want to know should I do it one of the following ways - just ask for contact...

asked Mar 29 '13 at 20:46
Blank
Stanford Sequeira
42 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
1.93K Views
At what stage should I approach a business mentor to join my company?

I have an internet business that I am going to pursue. I am just at the Business plan stage and putting together my team. I have got an excellent internet entrepreneur in mind that I would like to...

asked Mar 12 '13 at 22:14
Blank
Kevin
6 points

-1 Votes
6 Answers
6.71K Views
What is a fair asking price for website maintenance?

I was recently asked by a friend how much it would cost to maintain a site. I am NOT an expert web designer - http://mountpleasantmaple.com is the site I built. The whole project is a learning...

asked Feb 26 '13 at 00:29
Blank
Nick
102 points

9 Votes
6 Answers
2.82K Views
Beautiful front-end web design now or later?

So now the business logic, back-end development, are all done. The website is built with Twitter Bootstrap, look and feel are basic, but not top notch. Should I spend more time...

asked Feb 3 '13 at 03:38
Blank
Victor
593 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.91K Views
Best way to propose web designers to work in your website with income proportional to the success of the project

We are going to create a biotech spin-off from our University, now we need a website, with professional design and flyers and the like. Right now we are negotiating some contracts but still do not...

asked Dec 12 '12 at 06:31
Blank
Flow
114 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.98K Views
How do web-developers do web-design when freelancing?

So I got my first job recently as junior web-developer. My company creates small/medium sites for wide variety of customers: autobusiness companies, weddign agencies, some sauna websites, etcetc,...

asked Nov 30 '12 at 03:20
Blank
Gerald Blizz
21 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.33K Views
How to be competitive on freelance sites

I am a web designer/developer in the US and I am very interested in obtaining freelance work via the Internet. However, sites such as ODesk and Elance seem unfavorable to freelancers who need to...

asked Nov 14 '12 at 13:32
Blank
Darren
103 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.83K Views
How can I protect my website concept?

My dilemma is that I have the ability to design and develop my web concept to a certain extent and I'm doing courses to equip myself with as much knowledge as I can get to take it as far as...

asked Oct 7 '12 at 20:27
Blank
Warren Van Rooyen
34 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.79K Views
Ecommerce website development - advice needed

I am starting an eCommerce marketplace. I am about to give the go ahead to my designer to start work- however I have already paid 2000$ for development. But, for the maintenance only he is...

asked Oct 14 '12 at 04:36
Blank
Stanford Sequeira
42 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.94K Views
What are techniques to elicit requirements from customers who don't understand their needs?

Question: How do you prevent a situation where you have to produce work-product work first and get client feedback before getting on the right track to meet their needs? Are there techniques to...

asked Oct 18 '12 at 10:34
Blank
Daniel Skowro?Ski
18 points

-2 Votes
1 Answers
2.42K Views
What is the fastest method to create the current, trendy websites (static 'n' dynamic)?

What is the fastest method to create the current, trendy websites (static 'n' dynamic)? I have seen website being built from scratch, and from a pre-defined template. I am little curious to know...

asked Sep 24 '12 at 02:07
Blank
Jeet7seven
1 point

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.37K Views
Freelance Designers "Quality"- Portfolio vs. Results

I am in the process of hiring a designer that has good portfolio material. The problem i always run into is the fact that many designers will highlight their best work and that is what initially...

asked Aug 9 '12 at 22:42
Blank
Amin Brodie
39 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
5.36K Views
Advice on percentage to bring designer to startup

I'm working on a startup based on my partner's idea. It's a social website. My partner is not not a technical guy but the one with the original idea, he had previous experience with a successful...

asked Apr 27 '12 at 03:58
Blank
Willvv
138 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.33K Views
Complex Website Architecture Design w.r.t Usability and Design

Are there any good websites/blogs which discusses about Complex website architecture designs when it comes to usability and Design. For example if some one wants to build websites like Amazon,...

asked May 4 '12 at 18:51
Blank
Krishna Reddy
16 points

-1 Votes
4 Answers
1.84K Views
Where to look for inspiration when designing product/company website?

To begin with, let me say that "hire a designer" is not really an answer. Problem is, I will still have to evaluate and accept or reject whatever he or she creates. Personally I would go with a...

asked Dec 12 '11 at 07:37
Blank
User9982
206 points