Web Dev Questions

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.29K Views
Being scammed by someone who has been doing this for 10+ years.

After problems began I did some research about the company's owner and have discovered multiple bankruptcies beginning 10+ years ago after scamming others doing the same thing (taking money and not...

asked May 23 '18 at 15:32
Blank
Philip Gales
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.82K Views
Consulting firms: should you NOT target startups as clients?

Should web development consulting firms try to avoid targeting startups as clients? One of the key issues with startups is funding (most don't have any) and the ones that have raised a small seed,...

asked May 30 '14 at 13:14
Blank
Arthur Baxter
7 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.93K Views
Starting up a small web offshore web design boutique

To those who are currently running a similar business model or who has experience, can you advice what are the crucial parts In running this kind of business? I've been freelancing as a web...

asked Jun 29 '13 at 07:12
Blank
Pennf0lio
140 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.12K Views
Projecting Sales for Web Dev Business Plan

I am putting together a business plan for my Web Development startup. Cost of materials, marketing, etc. are the easy (fixed or one-time cost) parts - but I am trying to figure out how to create a...

asked Dec 18 '12 at 09:00
Blank
Itamar
116 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.33K Views
How to be competitive on freelance sites

I am a web designer/developer in the US and I am very interested in obtaining freelance work via the Internet. However, sites such as ODesk and Elance seem unfavorable to freelancers who need to...

asked Nov 14 '12 at 13:32
Blank
Darren
103 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
6.58K Views
How can I ensure my freelance developers are writing good code?

I'm the one that posted the question, "Do I need a CMS?" Thank you for all the answers, they were very helpful. I decided on going with a framework, codeigniter to be exact, due to its reported...

asked Nov 16 '12 at 04:59
Blank
Jdh
182 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.31K Views
How much should I expect to receive per website (for web design)?

I am a student who wants to start a small web design business with a few of my friends. Our clients will be local small businesses (e.g. family-run businesses). We're not expecting them to request...

asked Sep 10 '12 at 04:16
Blank
Linksku
116 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.89K Views
Is it bad to use many web services on a business web application

I'm the sole developer on a web application project that a friend and I started up. I'm handling development and my friend is handling the business side. It's a guerrilla operation and with what...

asked Jul 27 '12 at 08:42
Blank
Derek
1 point

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.37K Views
Is it possible for developers to take on an existing project of another developer(s) or programmer(s)?

Wondering if it's possible to hire a new set of developers to take on an existing project not completed by previous developers? Some complained it may be difficult to understand the codes developed...

asked Jul 17 '12 at 01:48
Blank
Wanda Pebbs
11 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.81K Views
Do my prices make me seem unprofessional? Should I even list them?

I started a small web development company with my friend. When we talked about the services we were going to offer we obviously also had to talk about how much to charge for these services. What...

asked Jun 11 '12 at 22:40
Blank
Mike
140 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.99K Views
Current web technologies in business point of view

I am a software engineer with no experience on web development and I will work on a startup which main product is a website. We are in the very beggining of things, we are not commited to any...

asked Jun 15 '12 at 12:09
Blank
Roberto
113 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.33K Views
Complex Website Architecture Design w.r.t Usability and Design

Are there any good websites/blogs which discusses about Complex website architecture designs when it comes to usability and Design. For example if some one wants to build websites like Amazon,...

asked May 4 '12 at 18:51
Blank
Krishna Reddy
16 points

-1 Votes
2 Answers
1.83K Views
Starting development company, how to start?

We are a team of 3 people who are developers. We would like to offer services like website / webapp development mobile app development desktop app development We are only coders, we dont have...

asked May 7 '12 at 18:40
Blank
Ahmed Al Hafoudh
108 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.65K Views
Choose to pay the employees a little too much or a little too less?

We tend to think that the fair value of a work is the price of it, but it's hard to appreciate. As a web startup, what do you think is the best strategy, keep the pay a little too less to keep the...

asked Mar 22 '12 at 01:12
Blank
Hartator
116 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.86K Views
Should a new web startup spend the effort required to support IE7?

I'm currently in the final testing stages of launching the release version of my website. Over the past couple days, I've been testing the entire site on IE7 as it's a browser I would like to be...

asked Mar 9 '12 at 03:17
Blank
Mike Christensen
183 points

8 Votes
1 Answers
2.38K Views
Are non-developers really having success using Do It Yourself (DIY) or Automated iPhone Development Tools?

I own a small software development company that gets approached regularly by non-technical users who tried unsuccessfully to build their idea into an iPhone app using free (or cheap) automated...

asked Jan 2 '12 at 20:08
Blank
Brett Miller
66 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.4K Views
Where to look for Japanese speaking tech. co-founder?

I have a sort of "specific" dilemma. I am a founder of start-up (business networking platform) which target market is East Asia and Japan being one of the most important markets. Our beta is ready...

asked Dec 8 '11 at 17:31
Blank
Peter K.
194 points

-1 Votes
4 Answers
1.84K Views
Where to look for inspiration when designing product/company website?

To begin with, let me say that "hire a designer" is not really an answer. Problem is, I will still have to evaluate and accept or reject whatever he or she creates. Personally I would go with a...

asked Dec 12 '11 at 07:37
Blank
User9982
206 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.61K Views
Web development - Outsource or go in-house?

All, A non-coder friend of mine based in India is considering developing a portal for his startup. His is a web-based idea and the portal will be his source of revenues. Since he can't code,...

asked Dec 5 '11 at 16:47
Blank
Rokstr Dli
36 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
3.01K Views
How do I find good developers to join a start-up on a low-budget

Im located in Minneapolis,Mn. Im starting up an online business here in U.S with market focus in Africa.Im building an e-commerce (auction) site for the growing African savvy internet users. I am...

asked Nov 27 '11 at 17:43
Blank
Onu Kaycee F
21 points