Web Services Questions

-1 Votes
2 Answers
1.69K Views
Difference between Web Development and Web Design?

Web development and web design are usually used interchangeably, but they are not the same. Web design is a part of web development which covers a lot of services. Can any one give me main...

asked Dec 10 '13 at 16:00
Blank
Rebena
17 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.31K Views
Why some websites give access to their data through REST APIs?

Quite a lot of websites (glassdoor for example) give access to data about jobs, salaries, etc. through a REST API. So basically I can make an API call, get results and show the data on my website....

asked Oct 14 '13 at 04:54
Blank
Victor
137 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.93K Views
Starting up a small web offshore web design boutique

To those who are currently running a similar business model or who has experience, can you advice what are the crucial parts In running this kind of business? I've been freelancing as a web...

asked Jun 29 '13 at 07:12
Blank
Pennf0lio
140 points

-1 Votes
6 Answers
6.71K Views
What is a fair asking price for website maintenance?

I was recently asked by a friend how much it would cost to maintain a site. I am NOT an expert web designer - http://mountpleasantmaple.com is the site I built. The whole project is a learning...

asked Feb 26 '13 at 00:29
Blank
Nick
102 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.15K Views
MVP: include price right from the start or test first

I have idea for the file sharing site. Now, I was thinking to first release the service without pricing options and users base, basically, to offer free but limited service, kind a like free...

asked Dec 5 '12 at 10:46
Blank
Cikatomo
108 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.79K Views
Ecommerce website development - advice needed

I am starting an eCommerce marketplace. I am about to give the go ahead to my designer to start work- however I have already paid 2000$ for development. But, for the maintenance only he is...

asked Oct 14 '12 at 04:36
Blank
Stanford Sequeira
42 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.45K Views
Start up is getting offer to have website developed for "profit sharing"

I have an idea for a website that myself and a partner have started to get going. One of our first steps was speaking with a web developer. The site may run over our budget. The developer (who is a...

asked Sep 19 '12 at 10:28
Blank
Melissa
6 points

-2 Votes
1 Answers
2.42K Views
What is the fastest method to create the current, trendy websites (static 'n' dynamic)?

What is the fastest method to create the current, trendy websites (static 'n' dynamic)? I have seen website being built from scratch, and from a pre-defined template. I am little curious to know...

asked Sep 24 '12 at 02:07
Blank
Jeet7seven
1 point

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.97K Views
How to market "web programming" services?

Are there any books or research out there on how best to market "web programming" services? I find it's hard to communicate to clients the benefits of custom web programming. Also how to put it in...

asked Sep 13 '12 at 12:53
Blank
Earle Davies
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.89K Views
Is it bad to use many web services on a business web application

I'm the sole developer on a web application project that a friend and I started up. I'm handling development and my friend is handling the business side. It's a guerrilla operation and with what...

asked Jul 27 '12 at 08:42
Blank
Derek
1 point

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.37K Views
Is it possible for developers to take on an existing project of another developer(s) or programmer(s)?

Wondering if it's possible to hire a new set of developers to take on an existing project not completed by previous developers? Some complained it may be difficult to understand the codes developed...

asked Jul 17 '12 at 01:48
Blank
Wanda Pebbs
11 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.42K Views
My webmaster created our website and is now charging me a licensing fee

My webmaster signed an agreement saying that all work done on the website is owned by our company. He now thinks that he is being payed unfairly and wants the website to be taken down. He says...

asked Feb 14 '12 at 11:11
Blank
Kyle Berkley
31 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.57K Views
I need a document that both parties will sign agreeing not to sue each other

What kind of document would this be called? A little background: Party#1 is the programmer contracted to help build my website. He has signed an NDA/work for hire. Over the last couple months he...

asked Feb 16 '12 at 10:02
Blank
Kyle Berkley
31 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.8K Views
Canadian Selling a Website to British Pub

I've started a freelance web development company. Up to now all my clients have been based in Canada and I have been collecting taxes for the government. I have been contacted by a Pub in the UK,...

asked Jan 27 '12 at 03:06
Blank
Philip K
166 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
2.87K Views
On launching new web application, build or campaign first?

I'm a software guy so the approach I tend towards is to build something which does at least some core functionality first before telling anyone about it, and refine it through usage. But recently...

asked Jan 17 '12 at 21:18
Blank
Barra MacMathuna
133 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
3.47K Views
Webhosting solutions for a startup

We have a small business that needs a webhosting solution. We will probably be able to support the following: Login to set up a shopping cart software (Magento most likely). Unlimited...

asked Dec 30 '11 at 01:31
Blank
Karlson
1,779 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.61K Views
Web development - Outsource or go in-house?

All, A non-coder friend of mine based in India is considering developing a portal for his startup. His is a web-based idea and the portal will be his source of revenues. Since he can't code,...

asked Dec 5 '11 at 16:47
Blank
Rokstr Dli
36 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
1.98K Views
How should I move forward? [Details inside]

I am an 18-year old individual, in my first year of university. At the beginning of the university year, I had an idea for a website that I followed up on and have, at this point, created a product...

asked Dec 6 '11 at 17:55
Blank
Aventuris
28 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.3K Views
Early stage strategies of growing your customer base for online start-up?

I wonder what do you recommend are the best strategies for growth and promotion of your online start-up in the early stages after launch? How do you get your name out there and how do you...

asked Sep 21 '11 at 02:08
Blank
Peter K.
194 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.03K Views
Number of shares for a newly established online services company + stock options?

Following up on the recent question about diluting the stock in this board, I would like to find out more about what do you recommend is a standard number of shares to issue for a new star-up. To...

asked Sep 23 '11 at 16:00
Blank
Peter K.
194 points