Freemium Questions

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.59K Views
What metrics are seed-stage investors interested in?

Our product is a B2B SaaS tool that has most of the users in the free plan. We do have a "Pro" plan, but not many people have converted to it yet and our marketing efforts till now have been to...

asked Apr 14 '14 at 16:43
Blank
Monica Crandall
9 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.28K Views
Traction for seed funding: free or paying users?

This topic was touched on in a fairly general abstract way in another post, but I'd like to put the question based on these specifics. Here is the business: Consumer internet web app Freemium...

asked Oct 22 '13 at 19:00
Blank
Seven Dials
21 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.21K Views
What are the tradeoffs of showing ads to free users from start vs. adding them in later?

Suppose I have a web application where the intention is ultimately to go the freemium route, with some users paying for extra features, and others having a smaller set of features for free, while...

asked Sep 4 '13 at 23:48
Blank
rbwhitaker
3,465 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
2.09K Views
Prototype and Landing Page are built. Now what?

I'm building a web app that generates SEO reports. I've built a bare minimum prototype and received some exciting feedback from potential customers. As of now, the only thing I have publicly live...

asked Jul 11 '13 at 01:22
Blank
Mnort9
201 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.04K Views
'Free' business model required for wide-spread acceptance?

In today's world is it a requirement for any software solution to be "free" to be able to achieve widespread acceptance/usage around the world?

asked Jul 19 '13 at 01:41
Blank
User221287
111 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.53K Views
How to deal with unsatisfied clients in a free application

We offer a free, cloud based B2B application - it offers the same and more functionality than most if not all of the paid equivalent applications out there at no cost. We offer awesome support...

asked Feb 20 '13 at 01:58
Blank
Bhttoan
735 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.15K Views
MVP: include price right from the start or test first

I have idea for the file sharing site. Now, I was thinking to first release the service without pricing options and users base, basically, to offer free but limited service, kind a like free...

asked Dec 5 '12 at 10:46
Blank
Cikatomo
108 points

7 Votes
7 Answers
2.99K Views
Is 'free' a bad idea in business applications?

In the case of business SaaS, specifically in a market where this type of software is never free what are the arguments regarding launching your product for free? More specifically the idea would...

asked Oct 5 '12 at 15:48
Blank
Maxim Gershkovich
234 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.21K Views
Premium features VS Donation gifts

We are developing a freemium business model and have planned some Premium features that users can buy. What are the main differences between these two types of monetization: Premium model : Buy...

asked Feb 20 '12 at 22:22
Blank
Xavi Esteve
223 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
2.57K Views
How to deal with users expecting a free edition of a software product (when not available)?

I'm working to launch my product in the near future and some guys are asking if there will be a "free" version. I've read some opinions that discourage the freemium model because canibalizes sales...

asked Jan 25 '12 at 14:00
Blank
Nestor Sanchez A
690 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.96K Views
importance of a community?

I recently launched a web site but I have a dilemma between building a community completing business model at the moment the site just MVP so it has some attractive features but doesn't have...

asked Jan 18 '12 at 06:56
Blank
Altuure
103 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.39K Views
Launching as free beta, then eventually making some features premium-only

For the launch, we're thinking of including all the eventual premium features at no cost, referring to the launch as a public beta. Eventually, once traffic picks up, we would put up a notice...

asked Jan 24 '12 at 06:00
Blank
Mirov
384 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.28K Views
Desktop Software Startup: Offering Free Version and 30 day Trial overkill?

Basically, I am doing pay per feature for my desktop software. I offer a base version which is free, but has limited functionality. I also offer 15 day trial on specific features users wants to...

asked Dec 23 '11 at 01:14
Blank
Gagwgw
227 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
2.78K Views
Do I need to offer a free version to sell my SaaS?

I have a software as a service model for content management system. What I'm wondering is do I have to have a free version tier in order to sell it? Meaning do I need to have some threshold of...

asked Dec 28 '11 at 16:59
Blank
Zipstory.Com
120 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.33K Views
Transition of a mobile app from free to freemium

I'm about to release a mobile app I wrote. Since the first version is somewhat bare-bones (aka a MVP), I'm making it free. However, in the future I want to use the freemium model. Do you think it's...

asked Oct 26 '11 at 13:41
Blank
Black Rider
297 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.22K Views
Freemium business model in beta (would this work?)

I am starting an online b2b networking portal. It is somewhat comparable to linkedin in a sense that most of the content is user generated, meaning more users it has more attractive service...

asked Oct 14 '11 at 22:56
Blank
Peter K.
194 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.48K Views
Is freemium still working?

We've heard from several formerly wildly successful software/webapp companies using the freemium business model that it is no longer working well. Does anyone have any validation to this? And if...

asked Oct 15 '11 at 05:10
Blank
Sydney Stavrou
21 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.64K Views
Freemium vs Ads? Or both?

I am developing an online utility application. My partners and I have struggled to come up with a profitable business model. We were thinking that we could sell server space to allow people to put...

asked Oct 16 '11 at 02:09
Blank
Matt
20 points

9 Votes
3 Answers
2.39K Views
What is the best way to test whether people would pay for a web application?

I am currently implementing a relatively simple web application, as I'm trying to dive into Ruby on Rails. It turns out be going quite well and, in my opinion, it will appeal to a lot of users. But...

asked Sep 14 '11 at 05:19
Blank
Dyn Zack
216 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.01K Views
Switch straight to paid saas?

I have a successful tool that has received lots of buzz for the past week or two. The tool is currently free and I hope to adopt a freemium model. I have the following options and I can't decide...

asked Jul 5 '11 at 23:12
Blank
Lee
8 points