Web Questions

8 Votes
4 Answers
14.3K Views
kickstarter alternatives for non US startups?

I've recently been looking into getting funding for my startup (we're building a web-based social platform). I've looked into www.kickstarter.com and it looks pretty cool however it is only open to...

asked May 20 '11 at 22:04
Blank
Pacerier
317 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.44K Views
What are some recession proof business on the web?

Offline there are tons of local businesses which are known to be recession proof (ex: laundromats). What are some web equivalent verticals that would qualify?

asked May 19 '15 at 22:25
Blank
Britt Aaron
12 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
6.77K Views
Why are code-signing (and SSL) certificates so expensive?

I was looking for cheap code-signing certificates, but all I saw were over $100/year. I think the same applies to SSL certificates. I read some references to insurance coverage amounts, maybe to...

asked Oct 1 '11 at 02:40
Blank
Nestor Sanchez A
690 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.57K Views
Should you build a desktop app for your web app?

Is it even worth it anymore to build desktop versions of your web apps?What are some benefits of having a desktop version for mac and windows of your app?One glaring downside is obviously...

asked Mar 1 '14 at 19:53
Blank
Tina Huston
15 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.19K Views
The Necessity of a Niche?

I understand that it is accepted as dogma that a small business needs to have a niche to be successful (in my particular case, with respect to web design). However, I've only read...

asked Dec 2 '13 at 04:34
Blank
Mentok
8 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.03K Views
Legal aspects of making a for-profit website?

Disclaimer: I've crossposted on Reddit. I'll preface this by saying that I'm in Canada, so some of the legal aspects might differ from the US, but I'm sure lots of them carry across. I'm...

asked Oct 15 '13 at 13:50
Blank
Jmite
101 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.71K Views
Web Application Ethics?

A customer asked us to build a small web application. We charged them to develop it and had a clause in the contract which stated we "reserve the right to re-use any code written for this...

asked Sep 10 '13 at 19:52
Blank
Big Tuna
349 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.65K Views
How much equity do I give

We are currently three partners in a tech start-up. I'm the founder and hold 85% of the stake. One of my partners is building the analytical engine which is kind of the backbone of our business and...

asked May 15 '13 at 12:01
Blank
Tech Entrepreneur
6 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.16K Views
Deciding between a web app and desktop software for an academic tool

I want to develop a tool which makes it easy for teachers and professors to write tests: multiple version, multiple choice, long answer, scantron, the whole works. The question is, would I be...

asked Mar 6 '13 at 09:28
Blank
Ian93
118 points

-2 Votes
2 Answers
2.02K Views
What does a company get in return for investing in a web based startup company?

I have always been curious to know what a company gets in return for investing in a startup company that makes a healthy profit while continuing to grow. For example: Accel partners invested 12...

asked Jan 16 '13 at 00:34
Blank
Geddon
20 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.29K Views
Prioritizing: more features for a web version or mobile app first?

We are in a pretty early stage. We have a beta of our web app ready, some user testing finished, and we're just about to do a launch. At this point we have two options: Add more features to the...

asked Jan 17 '13 at 08:23
Blank
Stpn
123 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.61K Views
How do I develop my idea for a web app while lacking resources and development drive?

I have a web application idea with great potential that I trying to turn into a start up business. I currently work with building application in a .NET environment but for this personal project...

asked Jan 13 '13 at 17:03
Blank
Geddon
20 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.12K Views
Projecting Sales for Web Dev Business Plan

I am putting together a business plan for my Web Development startup. Cost of materials, marketing, etc. are the easy (fixed or one-time cost) parts - but I am trying to figure out how to create a...

asked Dec 18 '12 at 09:00
Blank
Itamar
116 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.83K Views
How can I protect my website concept?

My dilemma is that I have the ability to design and develop my web concept to a certain extent and I'm doing courses to equip myself with as much knowledge as I can get to take it as far as...

asked Oct 7 '12 at 20:27
Blank
Warren Van Rooyen
34 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.28K Views
What are some pitfalls when registering a .com domain name and how do you avoid them?

I have no experience registering a .com domain name and am looking into how to do this. I came across a site which lists “10 things you must know before you register a domain name with anyone.” The...

asked Sep 29 '12 at 23:42
Blank
Rinzwind
116 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
2.55K Views
Is the web startup overdone?

First of all, I was wondering if anybody else had the impression that as Internet-startup-people, most of our ideas are about things that are Internet-related and tend to follow the big trends such...

asked Aug 4 '12 at 08:22
Blank
Glitch
156 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.05K Views
How to determine the monetization sources of a startup web service

I am "Russian" by nature, and maybe due to that I am finding it hard to see what may seem obvious to a western person. I read a lot of investment stories on techcrunch.com about "what it seems...

asked Jul 4 '12 at 17:53
Blank
Maxim V. Pavlov
217 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.12K Views
Setting A Price Range for A Custom Website Design

sorry if this is the wrong area to be posting this, but after looking through the other various stackexchange sites, I thought this one was most suitable for my question. I'm a first year...

asked Jun 10 '12 at 11:45
Blank
Glynbeard
6 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.08K Views
How do you keep track of all the web apps you use to run your business?

I use a lot of sites to run the by business. Fresh books for invoices, smartrecruiters for recruiting...other sites for conference calls, collaboration, human resources, advertising, etc....

asked Jun 2 '12 at 13:44
Blank
Larry
1 point

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.23K Views
from hobby to the real thing

I started a few years ago a few blogs with the format of a directory with some business listed on it. It started by using all free stuff (free blog services, hosting, templates, images etc etc)...

asked May 10 '12 at 21:05
Blank
User983248
489 points