Ethics Questions

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.53K Views
Ethics and legality of leaving a company mid-raise

I am in a complicated situation and would appreciate advice from experienced founders and also investors so I take the right ethical course and also avoid legal issues. I am the CTO of a small...

asked May 29 '18 at 23:35
Blank
George84
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.31K Views
Sub-contracting consulting work: can you claim it as your own?

I run a small consulting operation and I have taken on more clients than I can service on my own. There is a contractor who can I sub-contract the extra work out to, who will do the work in the...

asked Apr 18 '14 at 18:11
Blank
Pauline Larrick
7 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.71K Views
Web Application Ethics?

A customer asked us to build a small web application. We charged them to develop it and had a clause in the contract which stated we "reserve the right to re-use any code written for this...

asked Sep 10 '13 at 19:52
Blank
Big Tuna
349 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.74K Views
Collecting product pictures over internet, processing it and selling to eshops - legal?

Given that to be protected by copyright, a picture must be original/unique, I have read on the internet that the "product pictures" (of general use products like fridge, mobile phone etc.) are not...

asked Aug 29 '13 at 18:07
Blank
Data Smarter
1,274 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.34K Views
Is it acceptable to cut an employee before going into Series A?

Hi fellow startupians, I've recently gone into a venture with a friend. He is a business/marketing student, and I am a Comp Sci/Math/Econ/A million other things student. Before we moved down to...

asked Jul 30 '13 at 07:24
Blank
Jdero
128 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.4K Views
A dilema of starting a company vs. doing a project for a client

I got a request for a proposal to create a web application. The application would be used internally by a company to manage aspects of their business process. Coincidentally, the proposed...

asked Apr 5 '13 at 06:27
Blank
Mohamad
121 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.3K Views
Is it ever okay to send marketing emails to a list of emails that didn't request them?

Is it ever okay to send emails regarding your start up to a scraped or purchased list? Is this okay in any scenario? For example, if my start up sold software for managing mobile-hairdressing...

asked Feb 17 '13 at 10:00
Blank
Anonymous
557 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.13K Views
What are the legal and ethical implications of this?

For a few months now, I have been developing a web application for a "non-profit" (unofficial, more on this later) of my own accord. I'm the only one who has written the code, it was my idea in the...

asked Dec 9 '12 at 07:57
Blank
John Doe
13 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.39K Views
How valuable is a targeted listed of 40,000 emails?

I'm about to release a software as a service targeted at university students. Through the university I currently attend, I was able to export the global email address list (this information is...

asked Sep 22 '12 at 16:31
Blank
Josh Tfs
13 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
1.97K Views
Ethics: A competitor is not following industry standards

A sales lead is currently working with one of our competitors, and said they'd happily switch over, so long as we we could make the changes to handle things in the same way as our competitor...

asked Oct 3 '12 at 02:21
Blank
Jeff S
374 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.36K Views
Is this an Endorsement?

Suppose there's a site that runs a blog about computer hardware and on one of the blogs about dealing with old hardware stuff, a blog reader asks something like 'Looking for possible online sites...

asked May 2 '12 at 08:59
Blank
User16659
18 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.23K Views
cofounder - she's not leaving

So I've got a startup with a three friends of mine cofounding and on board. We used to have a fourth. When we originally started and got all of our documents in order, the fourth girl received a...

asked Apr 14 '12 at 07:00
Blank
Sdchargers
26 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.73K Views
Prevented from seeing stock option plan

I've been working for large private software company (the last round of investment was very, very large) and my offer letter told me I would receive X number of options as long as the board...

asked Mar 16 '12 at 00:54
Blank
Rox0r
125 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.13K Views
Ethical marketing?

I'm a bit confused at the moment... hope someone can help me out. I'd like to hire a temporary internet marketing team to promote my website on the internet. I'd like them to promote it on...

asked Feb 28 '12 at 09:00
Blank
User16659
18 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.89K Views
Publicising the business-plan?

Being a libertarian, I am completely honest with all my business-transactions, business-offerings and partnerships. From a marketing perspective, would it be beneficial to post my business-plan on...

asked Feb 9 '12 at 02:57
Blank
A T
38 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.8K Views
What are the key qualities you look for in a candidate for startups?

I know that it is very difficult to gauge a candidate's attitude / work ethics from the start. What are the most important things you look for a candidate that will be fit for a startup software...

asked Jul 27 '11 at 14:29
Blank
Joset
161 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
Is it ethical for an employee to start a similar business?

Is ethical for an employee quitting to start a similar business? What do you think?

asked Jul 31 '11 at 01:54
Blank
Sd Reyes
156 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.95K Views
How to protect yourself against the unethical business practices of a competitor like Nuance Communications?

I plan on working in the pattern recognition software industry. Some research into this industry led me to read about a company called “Nuance Communication.” According to this techcrunch article,...

asked Jun 14 '11 at 04:28
Blank
Amichai
241 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.27K Views
Resources to Identify Bad Clients

One bad client is all that's needed to destroy the reputation (and possibly livelihoods) of any growing consultancy or service business. It is easy for clients to spread lies, file complaints...

asked Jun 22 '11 at 02:05
Blank
Mqv
52 points

8 Votes
8 Answers
18.1K Views
What exactly are the risks of using pirated software?

Adobe CS5, for instance. Is the risk solely that the publisher could sue, or is the property that I create with the pirated software also in jeopardy? And as a corollary, what if I use someone...

asked Mar 28 '11 at 04:30
Blank
Amit
146 points