Bootstrapped Questions

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.21K Views
Wait to develop mobile apps?

I'm in the middle of developing a site that focuses on restaurant reviews. My dilemma is whether or not to develop a mobile app and release it at the same time as the site launch. The site itself...

asked May 5 '11 at 03:54
Blank
Sam
509 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
4.93K Views
Ideas for bootstrapping a SaaS startup?

We are a B2B startup that has been started based on great technology (MIT PhD/Spin-off for developer tools/uml). We want to get around some of the inefficiencies in our industry by allowing for...

asked Oct 16 '09 at 12:41
Blank
Vineet
1,080 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.58K Views
bootstrapped startup needs to be creative about "enaging" with out of house expertise

Fanciful title really translates in simple English as this: We are (read I am ) a bootstrapped, cash strapped startup and I need to employ the services of outsite experts but want to a). minimise...

asked Jul 19 '11 at 21:09
Blank
Voidstar
55 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
4.57K Views
Bootstrapping: should you pay yourself a salary or reinvest all profits back into the business?

Lets say you are bootstrapping your startup and generating a little revenue. Should you use that revenue to first pay yourself a salary or should all of the profits be re-invested back to fuel growth?

asked May 21 '14 at 16:42
Blank
David Thornhill
17 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.29K Views
Company interested in acquiring our startup. How do we calculate a valuation?

We are a bootstrapped company of three. Our primary competitor is interested in acquiring us (acqui-hire). How do we place a value on our startup? Since we don't have any revenues or a huge user...

asked May 15 '14 at 10:40
Blank
Angela Williams
7 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.42K Views
Market an app for a revenue share

I've built and published an iPhone app that I believe has a market potential. It needs exposure though. I'm an engineer and don't understand marketing very well. I'm thinking about partnering with...

asked Aug 27 '13 at 07:31
Blank
Black Rider
297 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.17K Views
Startup based on freelancing

Well , as the question states , is it possible to survive on freelancing and maintain a startup as well. Basically we are working on some games for smartphones but as long as they are being...

asked Aug 20 '13 at 06:45
Blank
Chossen Addict
16 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.68K Views
Is it okay for a student working(part-time) in a startup to ask for equity?

I'am a student and joined a Startup as a summer intern, as a Web Developer. Later on I said that I am willing to continue work for at least 1 year (part time) and they agreed. Is it okay if I ask...

asked Jul 14 '13 at 03:56
Blank
Gaurav Goyal
47 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.3K Views
Equity split for odd relationship

I am developing a SaaS platform by bootstrapping with sweat equity while covering the bills with a full time job. I am probably 2-3 months away from launching a viable public beta, and to this...

asked Jun 28 '13 at 09:39
Blank
Shaun
8 points

11 Votes
10 Answers
4.39K Views
How do entrepreneurs start their first bootstrap startup?

I really want to start my entrepreneurial career, the problem is I don't have money. I am mid-level IT manager, read lot of startup blogs, articles and books and keep planning (aka dreaming) about...

asked May 16 '13 at 04:27
Blank
Ali
179 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.4K Views
A dilema of starting a company vs. doing a project for a client

I got a request for a proposal to create a web application. The application would be used internally by a company to manage aspects of their business process. Coincidentally, the proposed...

asked Apr 5 '13 at 06:27
Blank
Mohamad
121 points

10 Votes
3 Answers
2.91K Views
When is it too early to measure conversion rate?

My bootstrapped saas startup launched only a few months ago. My traffic is growing steadily but still fairly low (~200 hits/day). Although I do consider the product validated (we have a growing...

asked Oct 28 '12 at 11:25
Blank
Bc Web
101 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2K Views
Newly formed software department as a startup company

Our company recently created a new department/unit that will develop apps for consumers. The company is engaged in the hardware reselling/distribution for 15 years and wanted to expand into the...

asked Sep 18 '12 at 17:11
Blank
Fart Y Goer
11 points

34 Votes
9 Answers
13.7K Views
Dilemma: to outsource the coding or do it yourself

I develop and sell iPhone apps. I've released one app, and decided to build a few more, in parallel. I thought about outsourcing some of the coding, so I went on Elance and posted some jobs there....

asked Aug 6 '12 at 05:54
Blank
Black Rider
297 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.64K Views
Is bootstrap a startup development methodology?

I've always understood bootstrapping in the context of startups to mean that the business achieves sustainability through customers, not loans, equity deals, etc. Ash Maurya has a blog post from a...

asked Aug 13 '12 at 21:21
Blank
Blunders .
899 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.4K Views
Should I use a user feedback system like UserVoice or just use a support forum?

I don't really like the idea of paying $20+ per month to run a glorified message board (GetSatisfaction, UserVoice, etc.). But these kinds of services seem to be pretty popular. So am I missing...

asked Jul 24 '12 at 02:53
Blank
Richard
357 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.95K Views
Product equity rather than company equity - any examples?

We're all familiar with the traditional shared equity arrangements in a startup; Some contribution = Some % of shares (thus equity) in the company, which may or may not payoff down the road at...

asked Apr 16 '12 at 12:18
Blank
Inator
106 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.08K Views
How to start a UK online business? (admin)

A few years ago I had an idea for an online business, its going to operate as a freemium model and simply deal with information no tangible goods. since then I have been creating the site learning...

asked Jan 8 '12 at 06:09
Blank
Dave
113 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.45K Views
Starting company with co-founder in industry

At what point do you end a startup relationship, if you're 1.5 months into development and the business cofounder says he only have 8-12 hours a week to work on a company? After saying he could do...

asked Nov 16 '11 at 03:18
Blank
Noe D
4 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.55K Views
Boot-strapping a startup

At what point in a boot-strapped startup do you know its time to go for the gold and have both co-founders go full-time with an idea? Currently, I'm the sole technical person. I'm finishing up...

asked Nov 10 '11 at 10:16
Blank
Meow
56 points