Bootstrapped Questions

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.03K Views
Does a single-member LLC provide the same asset protection as an LLC with many partners?

I'm bootstrapping my startup and don't have any plans on raising money. As such, I've decided to keep accounting simple by going with a single-member LLC.What's not clear is if it would provide the...

asked Jun 4 '14 at 18:43
Blank
Carlton Smeltzer
17 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Best type of office space for startups?

Should a new startup sublet or rent it's office space? We are a small team of 4 and bootstrapping our startup with our own money.

asked Jul 25 '14 at 21:44
Blank
Vernell Santos
7 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
1.18K Views
bootstrapped startup needs to be creative about "enaging" with out of house expertise

Fanciful title really translates in simple English as this: We are (read I am ) a bootstrapped, cash strapped startup and I need to employ the services of outsite experts but want to a). minimise...

asked Jul 19 '11 at 21:09
Blank
Voidstar
55 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.69K Views
Bootstrapping: should you pay yourself a salary or reinvest all profits back into the business?

Lets say you are bootstrapping your startup and generating a little revenue. Should you use that revenue to first pay yourself a salary or should all of the profits be re-invested back to fuel growth?

asked May 21 '14 at 16:42
Blank
David Thornhill
17 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Company interested in acquiring our startup. How do we calculate a valuation?

We are a bootstrapped company of three. Our primary competitor is interested in acquiring us (acqui-hire). How do we place a value on our startup? Since we don't have any revenues or a huge user...

2 Votes
1 Answers
Barely 6 months old startup: how to deal with acquisition offers?

How would you deal with small acquisition offers for a 6-month old startup? We don't have any investors since we bootstrapped the business, so that isn't an issue.The offers are large enough that...

asked Apr 3 '14 at 17:12
Blank
Ashley Allen
12 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
Market an app for a revenue share

I've built and published an iPhone app that I believe has a market potential. It needs exposure though. I'm an engineer and don't understand marketing very well. I'm thinking about partnering with...

asked Aug 27 '13 at 07:31
Blank
Black Rider
297 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
Startup based on freelancing

Well , as the question states , is it possible to survive on freelancing and maintain a startup as well. Basically we are working on some games for smartphones but as long as they are being...

asked Aug 20 '13 at 06:45
Blank
Chossen Addict
16 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
Is it okay for a student working(part-time) in a startup to ask for equity?

I'am a student and joined a Startup as a summer intern, as a Web Developer. Later on I said that I am willing to continue work for at least 1 year (part time) and they agreed. Is it okay if I ask...

asked Jul 14 '13 at 03:56
Blank
Spanecostar
42 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Equity split for odd relationship

I am developing a SaaS platform by bootstrapping with sweat equity while covering the bills with a full time job. I am probably 2-3 months away from launching a viable public beta, and to this...

11 Votes
10 Answers
1.76K Views
How do entrepreneurs start their first bootstrap startup?

I really want to start my entrepreneurial career, the problem is I don't have money. I am mid-level IT manager, read lot of startup blogs, articles and books and keep planning (aka dreaming) about...

asked May 16 '13 at 04:27
Blank
Ali
179 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
A dilema of starting a company vs. doing a project for a client

I got a request for a proposal to create a web application. The application would be used internally by a company to manage aspects of their business process. Coincidentally, the proposed...

asked Apr 5 '13 at 06:27
Blank
Mohamad
121 points

10 Votes
3 Answers
When is it too early to measure conversion rate?

My bootstrapped saas startup launched only a few months ago. My traffic is growing steadily but still fairly low (~200 hits/day). Although I do consider the product validated (we have a growing...

asked Oct 28 '12 at 11:25
Blank
Bc Web
101 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Newly formed software department as a startup company

Our company recently created a new department/unit that will develop apps for consumers. The company is engaged in the hardware reselling/distribution for 15 years and wanted to expand into the...

asked Sep 18 '12 at 17:11
Blank
Fart Y Goer
11 points

34 Votes
9 Answers
6.45K Views
Dilemma: to outsource the coding or do it yourself

I develop and sell iPhone apps. I've released one app, and decided to build a few more, in parallel. I thought about outsourcing some of the coding, so I went on Elance and posted some jobs there....

asked Aug 6 '12 at 05:54
Blank
Black Rider
297 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
What are the typical milestones and timeline for an internet startup?

Young, three-person, bootstrapped enterprise-focused startup, finishing up work on our backend about to begin development of our API, frontend, and possibly Chatter/Yammer integration. Hopefully...

asked Aug 13 '12 at 16:55
Blank
Fox
126 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
Is bootstrap a startup development methodology?

I've always understood bootstrapping in the context of startups to mean that the business achieves sustainability through customers, not loans, equity deals, etc. Ash Maurya has a blog post from a...

asked Aug 13 '12 at 21:21
Blank
Blunders .
899 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.29K Views
Should I use a user feedback system like UserVoice or just use a support forum?

I don't really like the idea of paying $20+ per month to run a glorified message board (GetSatisfaction, UserVoice, etc.). But these kinds of services seem to be pretty popular. So am I missing...

asked Jul 24 '12 at 02:53
Blank
Richard
357 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
Product equity rather than company equity - any examples?

We're all familiar with the traditional shared equity arrangements in a startup; Some contribution = Some % of shares (thus equity) in the company, which may or may not payoff down the road at...

asked Apr 16 '12 at 12:18
Blank
Inator
106 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
How to start a UK online business? (admin)

A few years ago I had an idea for an online business, its going to operate as a freemium model and simply deal with information no tangible goods. since then I have been creating the site learning...

asked Jan 8 '12 at 06:09
Blank
Dave
113 points