Acquisition Questions

2 Votes
2 Answers
Buying a website on Flippa using someone else's capital?

I'm looking to buy a website on Flippa that is likely going to sell for $200K+.I don't have the resources to buy this website with my own money. What other ways can I "fund" buying this website?Is...

asked Aug 4 '14 at 20:41
Blank
Noah Bruggeman
14 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Early stage startup acqui-hire: will it hurt being able to raise funding in future?

If an early stage startup, that has raised a seed round from angels, decided to get acqui-hired by another company. Will that hurt the founders' ability to raise money for a future venture?In an...

2 Votes
3 Answers
Buying sites on Flippa: what key metrics should I know?

When buying websites on Flippa, what is the key information I should do due diligence on?Also, isn't it possible to fake Google Analytics traffic fairly easily? Not just by modifying a screenshot,...

asked Apr 13 '14 at 13:11
Blank
Kelly Harden
11 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
How to approach a troubled website in order to buy them?

What's the best strategy on approaching a website that is shutting down due to profitability issues and try to buy them? I was an avid reader of AppStorm for several years.They recently announced...

asked May 19 '14 at 20:57
Blank
Roy Favorite
17 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
If Beats was making $1.1B in revenue, why did they accept Apple's offer of less than 3x revenue?

Seeing how tech companies values at high multiples, why does it make sense for Beats to sell to Apple for less than 3x their yearly revenue?

asked Jun 2 '14 at 14:25
Blank
John
11 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
Cash vs stock when getting acquired? What are the pros and cons of each?

What are the pros/cons of selling your startup for cash vs stock in the acquirer company?Some acquirers try to balance the price with it split between cash and stock.

asked May 30 '14 at 18:27
Blank
Justin Holub
7 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Closing the sale of a small business without a lawyer?

I have a small ecommerce store which generates a profit ($200K to $300K a year) that someone would like to purchase. The value of the deal isn't huge, it's just 1.5x the yearly multiple. As such,...

asked May 29 '14 at 16:30
Blank
Zachary Masten
12 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
How do VCs get their troubled startups "acqui-hired"?

A good chunk of startups funded by top-tier VCs get "acqui-hired" rather than closed if it's clear they won't succeed.How do VCs get these "acqui-hires" done and avoid a complete loss? Is having...

asked Mar 27 '14 at 19:26
Blank
Richard Albury
7 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
How long are founders asked to stay employed at parent company after an acquisition?

What is the industry average time co-founders are asked to stay onboard after an acquisition. I see that most acquires would require a length of stay in their acquisition contracts.Also, is it...

asked May 16 '14 at 18:27
Blank
John Dunn
9 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Company interested in acquiring our startup. How do we calculate a valuation?

We are a bootstrapped company of three. Our primary competitor is interested in acquiring us (acqui-hire). How do we place a value on our startup? Since we don't have any revenues or a huge user...

3 Votes
2 Answers
Ways to reduce customer acquisition costs?

What are some strategies and tips to reduce customer acquisition costs? Lets assume you have found that SEO, PPC, display ads, and lead generation are the four channels that work best for you. How...

asked May 13 '14 at 14:41
Blank
Heather Thomas
19 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
How to decide between acquisition offers?

If you have multiple acquisition offers, how do you decide among them? Should it purely be based on who is offering the highest price? Or should other factors be considered as well, such as which...

asked Apr 17 '14 at 00:40
Blank
Maria Delarosa
7 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Barely 6 months old startup: how to deal with acquisition offers?

How would you deal with small acquisition offers for a 6-month old startup? We don't have any investors since we bootstrapped the business, so that isn't an issue.The offers are large enough that...

asked Apr 3 '14 at 17:12
Blank
Ashley Allen
12 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
How are early stage startups valued during acquisition?

For angel funded early stage startups, how would an acquirer base their valuation? It's trivial since most metrics of startups at this stage doesn't reflect their potential value.

asked Apr 2 '14 at 10:57
Blank
Robert Irving
2 points

8 Votes
6 Answers
1.86K Views
Got an offer for my app. Should I sell?

I have a free trivia app that I launched about three years ago, which generates about $90K in revenue each year. My costs are very little and most of it is profit. The only real cost is my time to...

asked Mar 29 '14 at 01:10
Blank
User32788
74 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
What happens to employee stock options if they're vested 3 years (1 year left) and get acquired by another company?

Considering the following scenario: 4 year vesting schedule Employees have been working for 3 years (so 3 years vested and 1 remaining) So 25% of their equity is remaining to be vested What would...

asked Mar 25 '14 at 01:43
Blank
Charles Wright
40 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
How to sell a service based business?

How would one go about selling a service based business where you are the core asset? For example: a medical practice, or a mobile development consultancy?

asked Mar 15 '14 at 18:05
Blank
Selena Rael
55 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
Selling business: is it legal for competitors to pose as potential buyers to gain insight?

I'm looking to sell a website and wondering if it's legal for a competitor to pose as a buyer to get detailed insight of how my business operates?i.e. If they have no intention of buying the...

asked Mar 11 '14 at 10:10
Blank
Richard Clark
110 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Cost to acquire Medium.com domain name?

How much it cost for Medium.com to acquire their domain name?Is buying and reselling domain names a viable business nowadays? Or is the "gold rush" already over.

asked Mar 10 '14 at 09:01
Blank
Dave Goodwyn
20 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Valuing a SaaS startup which has a large number of free members (and no paid plan yet for monetization)?

I'm going to helping a friend try and sell a service of his which is completely free to users. It's a social media tool similar to ManageFlitter.He has a large number of active users. The service...

asked Mar 5 '14 at 17:27
Blank
Violet Phillips
155 points