Lawyer Questions

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.84K Views
How to evaluate a lawyer?

The business in various stages needs to have access to legal help. In my life I have talked to many lawyers and found myself basically wondering one thing: How to evaluate a lawyer?

asked Mar 21 '12 at 11:22
Blank
Karlson
1,779 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.02K Views
Low cost way of filing a patent?

Is there an inexpensive way of filing a patent? We talked to a couple of lawyers and the cost to file a patent is hovering around the $20K range. Is that normal? It seemed absurd at first, until...

asked Jun 20 '14 at 14:42
Blank
Gary Russell
12 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.65K Views
Is product liability insurance needed if we're loading new software onto a tablet and selling it?

The advice I have found so far indicates that you need product liability insurance if you "make a change" to a product (even if you are not the original manufacturer). Is adding software is a...

asked Jul 11 '14 at 16:17
Blank
User34062
6 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.83K Views
Closing the sale of a small business without a lawyer?

I have a small ecommerce store which generates a profit ($200K to $300K a year) that someone would like to purchase. The value of the deal isn't huge, it's just 1.5x the yearly multiple. As such,...

asked May 29 '14 at 16:30
Blank
Zachary Masten
12 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.95K Views
Who own's a franchise's social media account? The parent company or the franchise owner?

Let's say that I start a McDonald's franchise and create social media accounts for my specific location to engage with my customers.Who would own those social media accounts? I, as a the franchise...

asked Apr 17 '14 at 17:57
Blank
Mildred Miller
7 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
5.42K Views
Legal considerations while starting a supplements business?

I've been contemplating starting a brain supplement product similar to Onnit's Alpha Brain. The supplements industry is ridiculously de-regulated (thanks Utah). Literally anyone can contract a...

asked Feb 3 '14 at 17:16
Blank
Lyle Guerrero
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.25K Views
When is a law firm bill due?

My startup is currently looking for a law firm to represent us. We have several offers/engagement letters already and have noticed that some say the bill is due in 30 days and other letters say...

asked Jan 19 '13 at 13:14
Blank
James
8 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
1.89K Views
Lawyer experience level

My tech startup is looking to hire a lawyer for our legal needs. I've narrowed it down to two people: one is a partner who has been practicing law for over 20 years and the other is an associate...

asked Nov 7 '12 at 10:36
Blank
Joni
21 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.97K Views
How long does it take for a lawyer to incorporate and organize a startup?

Assuming just the typical documents are made such as shareholder agreement, bylaws, stock purchase agreement, IP agreements, etc.

asked Oct 25 '12 at 06:40
Blank
V B
24 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
2.67K Views
Website - Do I need a lawyer?

In the next few days I want to start a gaming network. Now I have written everything by myself and I am wondering about legal issues. For example: Payment, User-agreement, TOS? I currently live...

asked Aug 24 '12 at 22:18
Blank
Maik Klein
126 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.94K Views
Are online incorporation and contract forms sufficient?

Myself and two others have founded a start up and would like to incorporate. There are several sites that set up and file online (LegalZoom being one example), and I was wondering if in early...

asked May 15 '12 at 03:26
Blank
Zugwalt
135 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
2.43K Views
Do we need a lawyer before going live?

Once everything technical is said and done and we have a product to go live with, should we contact a lawyer? What kind of protection do we need from the "rotten eggs" out there? I know we need a...

asked Apr 4 '12 at 10:30
Blank
Max Mackie
166 points