Insurance Questions

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.65K Views
Is product liability insurance needed if we're loading new software onto a tablet and selling it?

The advice I have found so far indicates that you need product liability insurance if you "make a change" to a product (even if you are not the original manufacturer). Is adding software is a...

asked Jul 11 '14 at 16:17
Blank
User34062
6 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.11K Views
Does having a controlling interest in a startup offer investors additional protection?

It reduces the risk for the entrepreneur but I also came across the complementary view that it might offer the angel/VC an added level of protection. How does that work?

asked Apr 19 '13 at 01:10
Blank
Moonstar2001
186 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.14K Views
What kind of liability insurance should a contract engineer have?

I have been working in a company for a month. They buy my service instead of hiring me, so they ask me to set up my company. I do some drawing and design work for them. I want to know what kind of...

asked Sep 1 '12 at 14:47
Blank
Marco
130 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.72K Views
Do health insurance premiums reduce an LLC member's capital account?

If the LLC covers the health insurance premiums for the members, does the amount get deducted from the member's capital account?

asked Apr 22 '12 at 04:11
Blank
Alex Pereda
16 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.6K Views
Is there such a thing as "legal insurance" available to startups?

As some kind of a follow-up of my previous question about trademark, I am curious to know about legal risks and protection options, particularly in Europe. As far as I can see, one of the greatest...

asked Apr 23 '12 at 17:18
Blank
Yoav Aner
318 points

7 Votes
2 Answers
1.98K Views
How best to manage charge backs and returns in 3rd party aggregation model?

My partners and I are working on a startup and part of our model is acting as a 3rd party aggregator of certain services, similar to a travel agent, meaning customers pay us and we pay the service...

asked Mar 13 '12 at 19:05
Blank
Dmoore
46 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.27K Views
What title should I use and should I require D&O?

I have been a startup advisor for a colleague of mine for several years. He is primed to go from incubatory stage to launch and has some excellent blue-chip customers lined up. He is having...

asked Mar 18 '12 at 00:40
Blank
Francesca
6 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.37K Views
1 Million Dollar bond for a web design developer LLC?

I'm a web developer who has been a freelancer for a few years. I just now started a llc and I'm being told by some staffing companies that I need a 1 million dollar business insurance to work with...

asked Mar 22 '12 at 02:32
Blank
Digital Cake
106 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.36K Views
Can a startup expense an employee's health insurance premiums?

As a proposed company policy, is it a legal/good idea for employees to just expenses their health care premiums? (By "expense", I mean submit an expense report and get a check that has nothing to...

asked Mar 10 '12 at 05:15
Blank
Brad
117 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2K Views
Defending against lawsuits when based in another country

I want to start a company that is based in the US - since that's where my suppliers and biggest customer base will be. What concerns me are potential lawsuits. I will be selling nutraceutical...

asked Jan 31 '12 at 07:39
Blank
Jason.Ppdev
35 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
1.9K Views
How important is business insurance?

Me and my brother have a limited company, with 1 angel investor. We sell software we have written ourselves, mainly to individuals but we will be looking at educational institutions soon. Our...

asked Oct 15 '11 at 01:20
Blank
Tom
480 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.06K Views
Errors and Omissions Insurance for a game company?

I run a mobile game company with my partner, we publish to the Android market and iOS app store. That's all we do, we don't offer consulting services and we don't work with/for anyone else. Would...

asked Sep 20 '11 at 05:23
Blank
Edgar Miranda
230 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.24K Views
Security breach and data loss insurance?

I would've thought that this is the #1 requested insurance for businesses. However, I cannot find much information if such insurance exists. Errors and Omissions insurance does not cover security...

asked Aug 27 '11 at 23:19
Blank
Igorek
886 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.94K Views
What are some startup-friendly providers of General Liability insurance?

I just moved into a subleased office space in Southern California and am required to carry general liability of at least $1M for our startup. This didn't seem like a big deal, but when I called my...

asked May 27 '11 at 04:16
Blank
S Wrobel
113 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.22K Views
What type of insurance should a small software shop have?

We are a small software shop and feel we have more coverage then we need. When we first started they set us up with a professional services package that included all kinds of things including...

asked Jun 2 '11 at 22:23
Blank
Jonathan De Jong
6 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.46K Views
Insuring against non payment

If after doing the necessary credit checks, after loaning someone some money, they don't pay it back after a period (how long would this need to be?) is there a way I can indemnify my business...

asked May 16 '11 at 07:13
Blank
Ryan
11 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.14K Views
How much do you generally pay for an insurance broker?

I am looking into buying insurance for my at home business. I will need to insure, not only my home, but also the equipment inside and have all of the regular business insurance plans (property,...

asked Apr 19 '11 at 15:03
Blank
Erito
1 point

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.3K Views
What kind of insurance protects against frivolous lawsuits?

I have a business that publishes information and reviews about local businesses. We are registered as an LLC with two partners and no employees. One of our concerns is frivolous lawsuits from...

asked Apr 17 '11 at 23:41
Blank
Nick C.
111 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.46K Views
How can a company prevent or protect themselves against post-delivery fraud?

How can a compay selling high-value products protect themselves against post-delivery fraud (including but not limited to returns fraud)? Can we insure ourselves against fraud or somehow pass on...

asked Mar 9 '11 at 03:01
Blank
Nikolay Piryankov
683 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.73K Views
Should I establish an S-Corp or is Liability Insurance enough to Protect myself from Personal Liability?

I'm starting a small business and I'm concerned about personal liability. I like the idea of a corporation providing some protection, but I'm uncomfortable with the notion that the corporate veil...

asked Jan 28 '11 at 15:23
Blank
Mcohen75
157 points