Board Questions

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.53K Views
How to find the right advisors?

As our product development goes along, we are looking for more advisors to form an advisory board - we need well considered input from people who have already proven themselves in the tech / IoT...

asked Jun 28 '15 at 12:01
Blank
Alexander Hill
1 point

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.37K Views
Founders: how to prevent getting fired by the board after raising a few rounds of financing (with dilution of your ownership)?

Once you raise a few rounds of capital, your equity ownership most likely gets diluted to a minority stake. There is nothing that stops the board from firing the founder at this point. How do you...

asked May 27 '14 at 23:13
Blank
Joshua Propp
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.12K Views
Should I (cofounder) give up my voting rights?

I am a cofounder with shares that have voting rights. We have 3 founders - One with majority shares (a little more than the other two combined). I come from tech background while other 2 founders...

asked Aug 19 '13 at 05:48
Blank
Santu
156 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.26K Views
Board composition and dynamics after angel investment

I am the sole founder and owner of a limited company. I am considering to find an angel investor not only for financial reasons but also to have somebody experienced to give valuable input -...

asked Dec 6 '12 at 03:39
Blank
Dan
49 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
3.31K Views
How to structure even number of board of directors?

We are in the process of setting up a board structure for our startup. Everybody on the board will have their own veto rights on important matters, such as capital injection, spending limits,...

asked Sep 12 '12 at 19:27
Blank
Jaxons
16 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.68K Views
How to structure a startup with a small number of founders to avoid chance of 'paralysis' at some later point

Consider a startup with a small number of founders (lets imagine 2 to 4). At some point down the line a difference of opinion developed (such as market to target, or if to continue or fold) that...

asked Jul 4 '12 at 18:27
Blank
Ryan
1,365 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.81K Views
How Do You Keep Advisors (Both Formal and Informal) Informed/Engaged?

What are some methods that you use? There can be issues like time conflicts, not keeping them in the loop enough, and advice that comes like after you've already made mistakes. Is it hard to make...

asked Apr 17 '12 at 03:45
Blank
Steven
41 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.27K Views
What title should I use and should I require D&O?

I have been a startup advisor for a colleague of mine for several years. He is primed to go from incubatory stage to launch and has some excellent blue-chip customers lined up. He is having...

asked Mar 18 '12 at 00:40
Blank
Francesca
6 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.79K Views
Should I give away 10% equity to a super advisor?

I'm a sole founder of a rather ambitious company which I have worked tirelessly to build. The company will require some heavy lifting from well connected political persons to help the company to...

asked Oct 10 '11 at 15:41
Blank
Bastian Suz
6 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.29K Views
How can an Advisor be rewarded if there's not a VC round or Sale down the line?

A guy who's help our SaaS startup a lot in the 1st 2 month of its life has suggested that we form and he join our Board of Advisors. He's very helpful to us, a great guy and will definitely be an...

asked Oct 5 '11 at 00:28
Blank
Dmurtagh
157 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.38K Views
What are startup board of advisors best practices?

A common suggestion to start ups is to get a board of advisors. Three or four people that will interact once a month to help with business strategy, development, market positioning, … I heard that...

asked Aug 23 '11 at 01:28
Blank
Andrepi
26 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
2.72K Views
Should I allow investors to control 2 out of 3 seats on the board?

I'm a single founder of a startup and negotiating an investment with investors. We basically agreed on the monetary part of things. They are getting a minor part of equity. Among other things...

asked Aug 2 '11 at 00:51
Blank
Alan Mendelevich
126 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.19K Views
Mentor requesting for board of director role, should i offer director or advisor role to him?

We recently met a person through our contacts and he has shown interest in our startup & super liked the Idea. We had initially requested him to be our mentor, for which he agreed. In our next...

asked Jul 29 '11 at 04:21
Blank
Kumar K
11 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.33K Views
Board and Advisors Needed?

I wanted to know if it was needed to have Board Members and Advisers for your start-up to be successful. I know there are advantages to having this committee in terms of how they can advise you,...

asked Mar 12 '11 at 06:09
Blank
John
161 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.74K Views
Compensation for Co-founders, plus additional vested equity

I have a company share proposal for co-founders of a web-application startup. I would like to if the structure makes sense, or if anyone can suggest a more suitable structure, which has the desired...

asked Feb 25 '11 at 06:03
Blank
Michael Parks
3 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.92K Views
What percentage to give advisors / VC matchmakers?

I've been approached by two startup heavyweights who offered to recommend me to VCs and angels for my startup (I'm the sole owner). They've asked me what percentage of equity I would offer them in...

asked Oct 19 '10 at 01:19
Blank
Sherif Buzz
462 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.35K Views
Keeping investors updated

Our company has attracted 14 private investors, each for relatively small stakes. They not only provide seed capital, but also diverse experience and valuable advice. Can you recommend a...

asked Jun 8 '10 at 07:29
Blank
Stealth
76 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
3.39K Views
How have you best leveraged your "Board of Advisors" to help launch your start up?

Many of us have friends and people with whom we have worked in prior roles who have become advisors to our start up efforts - in both formal and informal fashions. What have you found has worked...

asked Apr 12 '10 at 21:55
Blank
Warren E. Hart
2,181 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.19K Views
Optimum number of board directors?

I'm in the process of incorporating a C corp in Delaware and my lawyer is asking me how many directors I want to appoint. He suggests 3 is a good number. Based on some of your experiences, what...

asked Feb 23 '10 at 08:32
Blank
Newyuppie
441 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.14K Views
How do you measure "momentum" for investors or a Board of Directors?

There are so many ways to measure an online web application business, of course the most important being revenue. Imagine you've got a board meeting coming up or a meeting with your investors,...

asked Mar 2 '10 at 07:18
Blank
Chris
4,214 points