Funding Questions

Everything you need to know to fund and raise capital for your startup or small business. Advice from entrepreneurs and investors.

0 Votes
1 Answers
3.21K Views
Funding for developing a mobile application

We are college students currently developing an iPad application and seek a small investment to complete the development before submitting to the app store. We have tried several avenues for asking...

asked Dec 5 '12 at 13:35
Blank
Grant Wilkinson
105 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
2K Views
2 month old company with 2 partners. My partner left but not returning shares.

I have a Delaware entity with full control and I brought a partner that I gave about 45% of the outstanding shares. My partner did not like how I ran the business and left. The original business...

asked Apr 26 '18 at 00:10
Blank
Nick Flynn
1 point

1 Votes
7 Answers
6.37K Views
I have a great idea for a web site but I have no money and I am not a developer where can I go and find a developer?

This was my dilemma for over three years... I finally figured out the solution, but it took a paradigm shifting event for it to happen. I am sure a lot of folks feel this pain what would you do?...

asked Jan 31 '10 at 20:55
Blank
Foundup
14 points

8 Votes
4 Answers
14.3K Views
kickstarter alternatives for non US startups?

I've recently been looking into getting funding for my startup (we're building a web-based social platform). I've looked into www.kickstarter.com and it looks pretty cool however it is only open to...

asked May 20 '11 at 22:04
Blank
Pacerier
317 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
11.4K Views
Can you pay yourself a small salary from money raised on Kickstarter?

If you raise a small amount of money (under $50K) on Kickstarter for a product you want to build, can you pay yourself a small salary along the way? I am quitting my day job to focus on this...

asked Jun 6 '14 at 16:58
Blank
Mary Pritchett
17 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
3.73K Views
How companies divide company shares between founders and investors?

I came here to ask about: How do companies divide their equity shares among the founders and investors? For example, consider two persons are building a company. Person1 came with the idea of an...

asked Jun 9 '14 at 07:28
Blank
Sky Buzz
36 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.97K Views
Why do VCs continue to fund "photo app" startups?

Except for the 2-3 outliers (Instagram, Snapchat, etc), most of the photo sharing apps fail and close doors. Or get acqui-hired.Yet why do VCs continue to fund them? Is there much more to be had in...

asked Jun 19 '14 at 16:41
Blank
Cheryl Guynn
2 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.43K Views
Is it possible to raising funds from funding platforms before registering a company?

I'm trying to build an eCommerce company. Company registration is not yet completed, but is under process. Now I'm planning to raise capital to begin operations as soon as the company gets...

asked Jun 26 '14 at 11:15
Blank
Sky Buzz
36 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.36K Views
Not completely done with MVP and desperately need funding. What should I do?

I quit my job and have been working full-time on my startup the last 3-4 months. I decided to take the risk of investing everything I had in order to get the product built quickly.I hired two...

asked Jul 8 '14 at 01:55
Blank
Melissa Mainor
2 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.03K Views
Does incorporating your startup in another country for tax benefits negatively affect being able to raise money from VCs?

If we were to incorporate our company in another company (where one of our co-founder lives), would that seriously limit our ability to raise money from venture capital firms?The primary benefit to...

asked Jul 10 '14 at 20:14
Blank
Ronald Whittaker
7 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.91K Views
I have an idea and made the MVP! How can I get fund and commercialize it?

I have an idea and made a working proof of concept (MVP). Its a solution for organizing data and could be used in from Enterprise Digital Assets Management systems to home computers.I am looking...

asked Aug 9 '14 at 10:18
Blank
Shahab
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.71K Views
How can I get fund for my new software? I have MVP!

I am an experienced computer developer, I was enjoying making computer programs since I was just 10, back to 1994. And since 2001, I started to create computer software as my part time and later...

asked Aug 18 '14 at 10:45
Blank
Shahab
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.83K Views
Using personal credit cards to fund a new startup?

Has anyone risked using credit cards to fund their startup in the beginning? I have looked at other options like angel funding, bank loan, etc. But none of those channels is something that I can...

asked Sep 16 '14 at 16:45
Blank
Benita Mc Dermott
4 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.69K Views
Are incubators worth the tiny investment they give you?

Outside of the big incubators like YCombinator and 500Startups, there are tons of smaller ones that only invest small amounts ($10K-ish) and take around 5% equity in your early stage startup.Are...

asked Apr 17 '15 at 13:11
Blank
Robert Dotson
12 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.75K Views
Should I go for funding for a new startup or build a marketing business that isn't scalable?

I have two ideas. One of which is pretty open but will require new software and a marketing team. I will need funding for the software. The other I can build grassroots-style but will have to get a...

asked Apr 19 '15 at 19:31
Blank
User34363
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.43K Views
Is it possible to build and scale a startup with only remote employees?

It would save considerable overhead expenses on things like rent and health insurance in some cases (for those employees who are in other countries).What about VCs? Would they look upon such a...

asked Apr 20 '15 at 12:57
Blank
Jason George
14 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.47K Views
Why do VCs never outright say no to you if they're not going to invest?

My co-founder and I have pitched to tens of venture capital firms in the bay area. Not once have been openly told "no". It seems all the VCs give you an open ended reply that makes you feel hopeful...

asked Apr 29 '15 at 11:12
Blank
Mary Sterrett
12 points

14 Votes
13 Answers
257K Views
What are going rates for finders fee?

When trying to raise money, what are the going rates for finders fee? Also, who pays the fee: the investor, the entrepreneur or the company that is getting the investment? Does it change with the...

asked Nov 19 '09 at 23:45
Blank
Ron Ga
2,181 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.54K Views

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.63K Views
Can one who lives in a 3rd world country target an investing round from a VC in the US?

Can someone who lives in a third world country target an investment round from a VC in US? From the likes of Ycombinator, etc?

asked Nov 16 '12 at 12:06
Blank
Iam
16 points