Funding Questions

Everything you need to know to fund and raise capital for your startup or small business. Advice from entrepreneurs and investors.

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.7K Views
Different stages of funding for a new startup?

What are the different stages that a seed-stage startup goes through while getting funded? i.e. things like: Connect with junior associates at VCs Pitch to VC partner Pitch to all partners at the...

1 Votes
7 Answers
4.35K Views
I have a great idea for a web site but I have no money and I am not a developer where can I go and find a developer?

This was my dilemma for over three years... I finally figured out the solution, but it took a paradigm shifting event for it to happen. I am sure a lot of folks feel this pain what would you do?...

asked Jan 31 '10 at 20:55
Blank
Foundup
14 points

8 Votes
4 Answers
11.8K Views
kickstarter alternatives for non US startups?

I've recently been looking into getting funding for my startup (we're building a web-based social platform). I've looked into www.kickstarter.com and it looks pretty cool however it is only open to...

asked May 20 '11 at 22:04
Blank
Pacerier
317 points

2 Votes
0 Answers
1.71K Views
Hacking Venture Capital: could you connect with a partner at a firm only to have another partner lead the round?

I'm trying to (unsuccessfully) connect with a partner at a VC firm, but most likely would be able to with another partner. Would it be okay for me to try to get the main partner to lead our round...

asked Jun 4 '14 at 20:58
Blank
Norman Carrero
12 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.32K Views
When to start seeking funding from angel investors?

I'm currently bootstrapping my startup with about $25,000 of my own savings. We've validated the idea by talking to potential customers well before we even started developing the product.We're...

3 Votes
2 Answers
4.16K Views
Can you pay yourself a small salary from money raised on Kickstarter?

If you raise a small amount of money (under $50K) on Kickstarter for a product you want to build, can you pay yourself a small salary along the way? I am quitting my day job to focus on this...

asked Jun 6 '14 at 16:58
Blank
Mary Pritchett
17 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
How companies divide company shares between founders and investors?

I came here to ask about: How do companies divide their equity shares among the founders and investors? For example, consider two persons are building a company. Person1 came with the idea of an...

asked Jun 9 '14 at 07:28
Blank
Sky Buzz
36 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
How are associates at a VC firm compensated for companies that get funded?

Do associates at VC firms get a percentage of the amount of funding a company receives? (ones that they source and schedule a partner to meet)If that is indeed the case, wouldn't it be in their...

asked Jun 9 '14 at 19:13
Blank
Jake Mosqueda
4 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
When does founder liquidity become an option when raising money?

At which point in rounds of financing does partial liquidity for the founders become an option?Is it solely based on which round of financing it is (i.e. Series C, for example)? Or can a founder...

asked Jun 10 '14 at 12:25
Blank
Donald Ocampo
4 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
How to prepare to raise money from VCs?

What are the most likely questions that VCs ask startup founders? And what questions should I be asking myself before even getting started with raising our seed round?

0 Votes
2 Answers
Why do VCs continue to fund "photo app" startups?

Except for the 2-3 outliers (Instagram, Snapchat, etc), most of the photo sharing apps fail and close doors. Or get acqui-hired.Yet why do VCs continue to fund them? Is there much more to be had in...

0 Votes
1 Answers
Is it possible to raising funds from funding platforms before registering a company?

I'm trying to build an eCommerce company. Company registration is not yet completed, but is under process. Now I'm planning to raise capital to begin operations as soon as the company gets...

asked Jun 26 '14 at 11:15
Blank
Sky Buzz
36 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
Is it possible to raise a small amount of money on AngelList if you don't have the product built yet?

I am a non-technical founder who has been using my own savings to create an MVP. Due to the type of product I'm building, it turned out to require more capital than expected to finish building the...

0 Votes
0 Answers
Not completely done with MVP and desperately need funding. What should I do?

I quit my job and have been working full-time on my startup the last 3-4 months. I decided to take the risk of investing everything I had in order to get the product built quickly.I hired two...

asked Jul 8 '14 at 01:55
Blank
Melissa Mainor
2 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
What should a good executive summary include for VCs?

What type of content should an executive summary have when a venture capitalist requests one?Any tips on things to avoid and include in an executive summary? Things like length of the summary,...

1 Votes
1 Answers
Does incorporating your startup in another country for tax benefits negatively affect being able to raise money from VCs?

If we were to incorporate our company in another company (where one of our co-founder lives), would that seriously limit our ability to raise money from venture capital firms?The primary benefit to...

asked Jul 10 '14 at 20:14
Blank
Ronald Whittaker
7 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
Which is better: crowd funding, bank loan, angel round, or VC funding?

I have almost set up all concerns of my start up, but I am facing a critical challenge now of raising capital so I could execute my business plan.Due to limited resources, it will not be possible...

asked Jul 23 '14 at 18:00
Blank
Moustafa Ezzat
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
What is the value of a company before it launches?

I was browsing Gust and in their application form they ask for current value of the company. Most of the companies on gust are in the development stage or about to start operations after...

asked Jul 24 '14 at 10:23
Blank
Sky Buzz
36 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1K Views
How can a pre-revenue startup raise a series A?

Without having raised a seed round or existing revenue stream, what are the variables that would allow a startup to raise a Series A?We have some decent traction on the free users end (20k users)....

asked Jul 25 '14 at 15:14
Blank
Terry Lo
6 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
How to raise money from investors without providing dibs to future rounds?

How could I approach someone for funding and require that he will be a initial investor, but not future rounds? What are the procedures and agreements what would be needed?

asked Jul 26 '14 at 15:38
Blank
Moustafa Ezzat
11 points