Remote Questions

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.72K Views
Pros and Cons of hiring remote contractors vs onsite employees?

What are some pros and cons of hiring full time employees onsite vs employing contractors on platforms like UpWork (ODesk)?Salary is one. In almost all cases remote workers are going to cost you...

asked Jun 16 '15 at 10:25
Blank
Larry Lamas
14 points

9 Votes
12 Answers
5.47K Views
What are the pros and cons of employees that work remotely?

What are the considerations as we consider employees that would work remotely? I'm particularly thinking about technical positions (programming, web site maintenance) that are remote due to...

asked Sep 21 '10 at 06:21
Blank
Keith De Long
5,091 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.06K Views
Can you avoid paying taxes by not living in any one country for more than 2 months?

This question might seem more negative than it is...I'm looking to travel the world and build my startup on-the-go. Would I need to pay income tax in any country if I don't stay in a country for...

asked Jul 1 '14 at 14:28
Blank
Willie Hudson
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.84K Views
Daily goal tracking for small teams?

How do you manage tracking daily goals for your team?Our team is a distributed (all 4 of us are in different states) so currently just send a group email at the end of each day stating what was...

asked Jul 2 '14 at 19:10
Blank
Edward Haley
7 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.43K Views
Is it possible to build and scale a startup with only remote employees?

It would save considerable overhead expenses on things like rent and health insurance in some cases (for those employees who are in other countries).What about VCs? Would they look upon such a...

asked Apr 20 '15 at 12:57
Blank
Jason George
14 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.06K Views
100% remote teams: how do you collaboration?

What tools and strategies do you recommend for 100% remote teams to collaborate? Our team of 6 is spread across the globe. Also, how can you create a company culture in such a case?

asked May 14 '14 at 14:43
Blank
Patty Balderas
14 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.17K Views
Why aren't more startups willing to hire remotely?

With talented people being so hard to find, why do startups still struggle for months trying to hire someone in their city?

asked Mar 31 '14 at 21:12
Blank
Pablo Rosa
19 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.57K Views
Communication pitfalls and tips for remote teams?

Now that my startup is starting to generate revenue, I'm going to hire a designer, a rails coder, and several SEO people to work remotely. I'll likely start on ODesk and if they are good, move the...

asked Mar 15 '14 at 12:23
Blank
Melissa Gonzales
35 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.91K Views
Startups that allow for remote working

Are there many startups that have the necessary setup for internationally located employees to work remotely? Please provide examples of such companies or websites where such lists could be found....

asked Dec 2 '13 at 01:53
Blank
Moonstar2001
186 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.43K Views
Hiring remote employees and getting work done

I want to hire a few developers and support executive for my website. Being an start up, I want to hire them to work remotely to save office expenses but I don't know anything about hiring full...

asked Dec 3 '12 at 20:32
Blank
Sourabh
288 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.07K Views
State of incorporation for remote workers

I have a single-member LLC and do programming contract work for clients. My LLC is incorporated in North Carolina, where I used to live, but I am currently and for the foreseeable future living in...

asked Nov 27 '12 at 03:43
Blank
John Z
216 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.16K Views
What non-monetary rewards can I give to an outstanding remote worker?

I have a remote worker (He lives in South Africa, we are in Israel) in my team of 3, and I want to reward him for his awesome work. There is not enough budget to compensate him more but I still...

asked Jun 19 '12 at 03:39
Blank
Mikle
113 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
2.47K Views
How do you find a trustworthy virtual assistant?

If you are asking your VA to do tasks that involve your credit card, bank information, and other personal information, you need someone trustworthy. How do you find a trustworthy VA?

asked Dec 1 '10 at 16:48
Blank
Joseph Turian
895 points

13 Votes
8 Answers
3.21K Views
Distributed team in a startup

Is it a viable idea to start a business without office space and relying on the possibility for employees to work from home? What should be considered as main factors a distributed team to be...

asked Sep 26 '10 at 17:47
Blank
Rem
352 points