Startups Questions

1 Votes
0 Answers
1.42K Views
How much equity for "connectors"?

I am starting several companies with a person I would like to describe as a "connector". Essentially he connects me with the right people, to start a company or in some cases simply make a...

asked Apr 26 '17 at 12:36
Blank
user1721135
182 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.1K Views
Which startups are hiring in Boston?

Couldn't find a Jobs section on Bright Journey. Maybe there should be a section here where startups can post their openings.Which early stage startups are hiring software engineers in the Boston area?

asked Mar 19 '14 at 01:14
Blank
Steve Halsted
45 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.58K Views
Different stages of funding for a new startup?

What are the different stages that a seed-stage startup goes through while getting funded? i.e. things like: Connect with junior associates at VCs Pitch to VC partner Pitch to all partners at the...

2 Votes
0 Answers
1.5K Views
Once you raise money from angel investors, how often do you contact them with status updates?

I'm new to the venture capital process. Once you raise a seed round from angel investors, how often are you supposed to contact them and keep them in the loop of things?Also, what sort of...

asked Jun 5 '14 at 19:29
Blank
Joseph Sanders
12 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.91K Views
Building a career whilst bootstrapping

Long story short, I am bootstrapping a start up venture and I am funding it through full time employment. We are close to launch, and we want to avoid going to VC in order to retain 100% equity. I...

asked Oct 3 '15 at 01:01
Blank
User34199
46 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
2.46K Views
Bizspark application rejected

Hello, we're a startup SAAS company looking to get enrolled on Bizspark and keep getting rejected. Our product hasn't yet launched but we're getting close to go live and wanted to get enrolled...

asked Nov 10 '16 at 13:11
Blank
Sam Lad
6 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2K Views
Pre-launch pages: what should you have on them?

What makes some pre-launch sites great? There is a lot of talk about beginning to market your site well before launch. How does one do that on a "coming soon" page?Most of the pages I've seen just...

asked Jun 10 '14 at 12:44
Blank
Michael Strunk
19 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
4.22K Views
Should you care about branding when first launching a startup?

Is it worth worrying about branding principles (name, logo, slogan, etc) when launching your app? Or should that come afterwards once you get some customers?One issue is that renaming a company...

asked May 21 '15 at 10:13
Blank
Brian Flores
7 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.83K Views
Startup roleplay: you are given $20K to start a business. What business would you start and how would you use the money?

I thought it would be fun to bounce ideas off other entrepreneurs here by creating a roleplaying game.You are given a $20,000 loan, interest free from friends and family.What business would you...

asked May 20 '15 at 17:57
Blank
Janie Parrish
14 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.36K Views
Persuading software engineers to join a new startup?

I'm a non-technical founder who has been able to get by with outsourced consultants on ODesk for a while.But now that revenues are growing, I want to hire one or two PHP coders onsite. I've posted...

asked Jun 9 '14 at 18:10
Blank
Sonya Dave
19 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
What is your process of creating a new web app / startup?

Most of us have likely started several startups and have streamlined the process of creating a web/mobile app. What is your process?

asked Jun 6 '14 at 14:26
Blank
Steven Rink
7 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Intro video vs just having an illustration with text?

Which is better for explaining your product on the homepage? There is a trend of having videos above the fold on the homepage that explains your startup.Maybe I'm biased by my own usage patterns,...

asked Jun 11 '14 at 18:40
Blank
Timothy Lund
12 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
How can a payment startup without VC backing gain initial users?

One of the reasons Stripe was able to get it's initial customers was that it was funded by YCombinator and other VCs. How does a startup in the same space get initial traction without first raising...

asked Jun 13 '14 at 16:11
Blank
Alvera Vasquez
2 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
Lifecycle emails for startups: what the basics you should cover?

I am building an MVP for a SaaS offering that targets social media managers. What kind of lifecycle emails should I embed in my app for customers.I already have the basic ones but I feel there is a...

asked Jun 13 '14 at 17:11
Blank
Ashley Ansari
6 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
Raised $500K from angel investors: if startup doesn't work, can we start a new company with those funds?

I guess the common term for this in the valley would be to pivot.If we raised money from angel investors, and it turned out the startup isn't going to succeed, could we pivot the company to a...

asked Jun 15 '14 at 19:13
Blank
Kent Campbell
17 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
1.04K Views
What's the worst failure you had in business and what did you learn from it?

What's the biggest failure you had while building a startup and what was the take away?

asked Jun 16 '14 at 21:25
Blank
Verdell Smith
22 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
Determining valuation of a startup during a seed round?

When you just have a basic product and little traction, and seeking to raise money from investors, how is your startup valued? Are the valuation numbers for seed-stage startups completely arbitrary...

asked Jun 17 '14 at 15:29
Blank
Ira Snyder
7 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
Naming an online bookkeeping service startup in Australia?

We would love feedback from the community on which of the following company names is the best to choose for our startup.As background, we have ran a couple of naming contests and have gone through...

asked Jun 18 '14 at 09:43
Blank
garyjames
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
Starting a business with a co-founder without a corporation?

Could you start a company with a co-founder, and have generic agreements in place, all without registering a corporation?We're bootstrapping our first startup and don't want to spend both money and...

asked Jun 18 '14 at 20:12
Blank
Marion Woodward
9 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Is there a market for providing an API to UPC barcode data?

I have a huge database of UPC barcodes and their corresponding products (name, photo of the product, some specs).Do you think there might be a market to provide a paid API access to this data?

asked Jun 30 '14 at 14:26
Blank
Michael Hall
14 points