Equity Questions

Equity is ownership that both the business owner and investors have in a company.

2 Votes
2 Answers
6.21K Views
Biotech startup: How do I split up the roles/responsibilities of three founders?

I am creating a medical device startup and I have some issues determining how to split up the various roles and responsibilities of founders, among other problems. My brother, a friend/partner, and...

asked Apr 20 '11 at 06:32
Blank
Jry223
11 points

4 Votes
6 Answers
18.6K Views
How do you split a company three ways without repeating decimals?

My co-founders and I have agreed on a completely even split equity of 1/3 each. In our operating agreement,however, we need to put down the percentage ownership stake for each of us, and aren't...

asked Oct 13 '11 at 02:40
Blank
Three Way Llc
23 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.87K Views
Who prepares the cap table for a startup seeking financing?

Just curious: for the startups here, who prepared your cap table--the Excel spreadsheet showing ownership of your equity, and reflecting conversions of debt, future financings, etc.? You (your...

asked Dec 18 '11 at 09:20
Blank
User6492
1,747 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.31K Views
How can a non US citizen get 20% equity in US company?

Background: I am an Indian citizen residing in India. For the past 3 years I've worked with a US company to develop a software product at a very low price. Now the product is generating some...

asked Feb 2 '20 at 15:48
Blank
Raghu N
1 point

0 Votes
0 Answers
1.89K Views
Can I hold the equity of 1% in my friends start up while on H1-B?

I am on H1-B working for MNC in bay area. I have a question like, Can I hold the equity of 1% in my friends start up(C-Corp)? My friend is GC holder. I invested some money, so in return he would...

asked Jul 23 '19 at 21:22
Blank
Sateesh Kumar
1 point

0 Votes
0 Answers
1.96K Views
what are the benefits of a partner requesting funds on my behalf?

I am in conversations with a startup interested in my project. I have not set up the company yet, thus we both wish to collaborate, and apply for public funds to develop my prototype/MVP. The idea...

asked Jul 2 '19 at 19:08
Blank
MMA
1 point

0 Votes
0 Answers
1.83K Views
How convert intellectual property to equity?

Hi, I understand that IPR ownership is not the same as equity ownership. In a pre-incorporated stage, do you have any hints about how to value IPR (ie. algorithm) and proportionally convert it to...

asked Jul 2 '19 at 18:40
Blank
MMA
1 point

0 Votes
0 Answers
1.91K Views
What equity should I expect in this scenario?

I'm interested in joining an early stage startup and have a question regarding what is the expected equity I should be offered. This is the scenario:1. The startup has a single founder who is the...

asked Dec 12 '18 at 00:02
Blank
SWlkz
1 point

0 Votes
0 Answers
1.96K Views
Work for equity?

I have a fulltime job but I do some contractor (programming) work on the side to earn extra cash. My client would like me to work for equity. I like his startup and I think it has some...

asked Oct 10 '18 at 04:53
Blank
TacoCat
1 point

0 Votes
0 Answers
1.88K Views
Equity buyback program as a vc round

One of the companies that I am a partner in is raising capital. We are considering offering shares with a repurchase program. We have calculated a CAGR that tracks projected YOY revenue growth and...

asked Sep 4 '18 at 22:20
Blank
Alex Notov
1 point

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.53K Views
Ethics and legality of leaving a company mid-raise

I am in a complicated situation and would appreciate advice from experienced founders and also investors so I take the right ethical course and also avoid legal issues. I am the CTO of a small...

asked May 29 '18 at 23:35
Blank
George84
1 point

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.71K Views
How do I split the partnership equally?

When I had a business idea start-up, my friend provided his business license for me to operate in a condition that I share 50% of the profit with him. As the company grew in 2 years we used to...

4 Votes
6 Answers
10.4K Views
A graphic designer working for equity

With a friend we are doing a spare-time startup; that is, developing stuff on our spare time trying to make something that makes money. We have several products to launch soon but neither of us is...

asked Oct 12 '10 at 04:59
Blank
J. Pablo Fernández
412 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
5K Views
Giving away equity to new member in a startup?

I've been working on a startup for more than a year now, and as a developer, I created a nice product. But things got harder when I tried to sale it, as I have no talent for this. Then I met two...

asked Feb 10 '16 at 14:52
Blank
Francis L
33 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
3.99K Views
How to fire my co-founder who has nothing to do with the start up any more?

I started my company from scratch and found a technical co-founder to build my product. So I managed to hustle in order to find this guy, who was working in a company. He started working for me...

asked Aug 30 '14 at 10:43
Blank
User34129
1 point

1 Votes
0 Answers
3.73K Views
How companies divide company shares between founders and investors?

I came here to ask about: How do companies divide their equity shares among the founders and investors? For example, consider two persons are building a company. Person1 came with the idea of an...

asked Jun 9 '14 at 07:28
Blank
Sky Buzz
36 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
4.14K Views
Paul Graham's equity equation: how does the math work out?

Regarding this excerpt from Paul Graham's essay The Equity Equation:Let's run through an example. Suppose the company wants to make a "profit" of 50% on the new hire mentioned above. So subtract a...

asked Jun 7 '14 at 05:43
Blank
User33952
1 point

3 Votes
1 Answers
4.92K Views
If your co-founder suddenly leaves before the MVP is complete, could he have a legal claim down the line?

If there was no paperwork done between the co-founders and one of them decides to leave all of a sudden, can the remaining co-founder still continue building that business?Could the founder who...

asked Jun 13 '14 at 16:56
Blank
Omar Gonzalez
16 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.96K Views
What is a resonable offer for a first employee?

A hardware company is keen to hire employee #1 at $42k/y salary and 0.5% equity (common) with a 4 year vest, 1 year cliff. The company has been around in one guise or another for ~1 year (though...

asked Jul 16 '14 at 23:22
Blank
User34083
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.97K Views
Equity split for advisors, part-time and full-time founders?

I am a part of a software startup that includes the following six founders. We are about to seek VC and we need to make sure that we split the equity in a fair/correct manner. Based on the...

asked Sep 23 '14 at 23:35
Blank
User34135
11 points