Equity Questions

Equity is ownership that both the business owner and investors have in a company.

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.86K Views
Prefunded startup employee compensation

I'm going to be working for a startup that is prefunding. They have received a grant for housing and a bit more. I was wondering what I should negotiate in terms of salary and equity. I don't want...

asked Aug 25 '13 at 08:43
Blank
Sean Fisher
108 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.07K Views
Can I assign the equity rights without transferring ownership?

I am starting a new venture. An investor has agreed to invest into this new company provided that I transfer an equally valued Apple shares into the same company. I am told that this would not be...

asked Jul 23 '13 at 19:37
Blank
Rajanish P
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.74K Views
Different vesting schedules among founders

I'm the technical co-founder at a startup. We have soft-circled nearly 50% of our seed round, are participating in an accelerator this summer, are rapidly acquiring new users, and have been in...

asked Jul 25 '13 at 00:28
Blank
Sohan Jain
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.58K Views
Founder's stock

I am entitled to a slice of founder's stock. I have 2 question related to them a) Do founder's stock have a vesting schedule or are they immediately vested b) what is the strike price at which...

asked Jul 26 '13 at 15:23
Blank
User27169
1 point

4 Votes
2 Answers
8.13K Views
Equity for Startup Lead Developer/CTO (pre-funding, pre-launch)

Prerequisites I'm an experienced developer with broad knowledge of software engineering matters, having contacts in outsourcing companies and access to great talented tech people. At the moment I'm...

asked Jul 27 '13 at 06:00
Blank
Vasily Ulianko
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.49K Views
How to structure startup equity / shareholding between co-founders and developer

A partner and I have been working through a business idea centered around a website & mobile app. We've worked through the conceptualisation, version 1 designs, research and some very basic...

asked Aug 6 '13 at 22:59
Blank
Eagarmatt
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.25K Views
Equity options/logistics for first hire

We're in the process of hiring our first employee and trying to figure out logistics given that we're making the employment offer in parallel with our seed funding. All of our current funding up to...

asked Jul 6 '13 at 11:07
Blank
User26911
6 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
5.9K Views
Copyright and Ownership of Code in a Tech Startup

I am currently involved in a Canadian tech startup, and as I am about to enter equity negotiations, I would like to clarify the ownership and copyright of the code base, to better understand the...

asked Jul 8 '13 at 08:55
Blank
Chris
6 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.73K Views
Is it okay for a student working(part-time) in a startup to ask for equity?

I'am a student and joined a Startup as a summer intern, as a Web Developer. Later on I said that I am willing to continue work for at least 1 year (part time) and they agreed. Is it okay if I ask...

asked Jul 14 '13 at 03:56
Blank
Gaurav Goyal
47 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.09K Views
How to make sure I get a fair share of the company

A potential partner and I discussed one of my ideas. The idea is mine and at the time of discussion, it was not clear that we would be partners. I was essentially discussing ideas with an industry...

asked Jul 15 '13 at 11:54
Blank
Moonstar2001
186 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.57K Views
Part-time co-founder is leaving, how can he hand back equity?

I had a part-time co-founder but he is leaving. How can he hand back equity? I'm based in the UK and I've heard of a form called J10, but once this is done how do we change the information...

asked Jul 16 '13 at 09:58
Blank
Olive
106 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.39K Views
Do I need a co-founder?

I am a professional developer, and I work on the side on my own projects. I incorporated a company about a year ago, and my last side-project generates about $400 a month. I have now started...

asked Jul 16 '13 at 22:38
Blank
Antipasti
3 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.97K Views
Equity split for IP contributor vs part-time founder

I am founding a startup and trying to determine the correct equity split to expect. The situation is that at my former company (Company A), I developed some software, which is currently owned by...

asked Jul 17 '13 at 00:16
Blank
Randigoo
61 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
A programmer friend is building my software, how to reimburse?

A programmer friend is building a very simple subscription as a service tool for me. He's calling it an "easy" job (2-3 months build time), and has agreed to work for a % of cash flow (profit)...

asked Jul 19 '13 at 16:57
Blank
User27061
6 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
4.78K Views
What percent of equity is fair for first engineer?

I am interested in joining a very early formation phase startup and would like to get some idea as to what to expect. The startup will consist of 4-5 people all on the marketing and PR side. They...

asked Jul 21 '13 at 04:46
Blank
Guest User
21 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
4.71K Views
co-founder not pulling their weight

My co-founder and I have been working on my idea for the past 18 months. Throughout, despite statements of their commitment, I have always done the vast majority of the work. We have had serious...

asked Jun 4 '13 at 07:34
Blank
User26519
6 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
7.01K Views
Can fund my own startup in return for equity if that dilutes ex-cofounders?

My biz partner and I split up (not amicably) a couple of months ago, and he left my bootstrapped startup business. When he left, his total equity in the company was vested up to 20%. I own the...

asked Jun 5 '13 at 07:58
Blank
John B.
6 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.1K Views
Startup Co-Founder Stuck in a Tricky Equity Position

I'm an entrepreneur and programmer stuck in a pretty tricky situation. So here's the situation: A couple friends and I decided to create an internet startup (website and iOS Application) in hopes...

asked Jun 6 '13 at 15:04
Blank
Asg
53 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.59K Views
How can I protect my future position in a startup?

I took part alone in a 4 months acceleration program for startups, during which I worked on the idea, I did market and customer research and all the usual things needed before start a new company....

asked Jun 10 '13 at 06:51
Blank
Andrea
26 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.76K Views
How to structure a development partnership with an unfunded startup?

My co-founder and I have a fledgling software company. We recently started talking to a non-technical entrepreneur who is looking for a development partner. He has potential backers, but needs to...

asked Jun 16 '13 at 05:27
Blank
Dan Ellis
71 points