Profitability Questions

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.66K Views
Can ad revenue sustain this model?

Hello, I'm currently in the planning stages of a simple idea.. It's nothing major, I'm just a student and just want to get my feet wet.. However, as I think more and more about it, I'm more and...

asked Aug 9 '14 at 13:56
Blank
eXtreme
11 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
4.1K Views
Projects you did for fun (without intention of making money), but ended up being widely profitable?

What are some projects you started without the intention of every making any money from them, only to end up generating decent revenue from it?Any examples from your personal experience or other...

asked Mar 11 '14 at 12:24
Blank
Lawrence Hintz
35 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.22K Views
What are some reasons to sell a product below cost?

Lets say my company and another competitor are the only two contenders in a niche for a physical product. And the products are mostly similar (and can't really be altered much to have a big...

asked Mar 5 '14 at 11:16
Blank
Raymond Davenport
30 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.86K Views
research the profit potential of a hobby wood carving business

I am a software developer and i wish to start a side business as a hobby wood carver. What is the best way to go about researching the profit potential of those idea? i was thinking: 1. go on...

asked Sep 26 '13 at 05:23
Blank
Victor
137 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.06K Views
Does a business have to be profitable?

Excluding non-profits, how can a business run without the future intention of making profits? Why would anyone invest in such a business? From the website below, I made the assumption that no...

asked Aug 30 '13 at 00:51
Blank
Nope
8 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.95K Views
How much profit do investors want to see in a business plan?

OK Here is the situation: I am looking for investors, and have a group interested in my idea, so they have asked to see my business plan. I have nearly completed my business plan, but want to be...

asked Aug 19 '13 at 19:05
Blank
Darkcat Studios
190 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.26K Views
A programmer friend is building my software, how to reimburse?

A programmer friend is building a very simple subscription as a service tool for me. He's calling it an "easy" job (2-3 months build time), and has agreed to work for a % of cash flow (profit)...

asked Jul 19 '13 at 16:57
Blank
User27061
6 points

-1 Votes
2 Answers
2.03K Views
how does a website like youtube make money

Other than small ads that came a couple years later after youtube's first launch and paid videos to be displayed as featured videos how can a site like youtube that has so many expenses profit?...

asked Dec 13 '12 at 20:23
Blank
Yoyilbey
49 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.49K Views
Defer Taxes on Profits in an S-Corporation

Are there any ways to defer taxation on S-Corp profits in a year?

asked Aug 21 '12 at 09:46
Blank
N L
18 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.51K Views
How does dotSub make money? Can I find out if it is profitable?

DotSUB allows anyone to upload videos and provides an interface for subtitling them - to anyone. Looking at the subtitles and their timing of appearance, Khan Academy seems to have crowdsourced...

asked May 24 '12 at 05:02
Blank
Aditya Menon
112 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.97K Views
When calculating Gross Profit Margin, do you include funds raised

When calculating Gross Profit Margin, do you include the startup funds you raised in your net sales or just the sales you've made For example, should it look like: Net Sales.. ...Plus startup...

asked Jun 2 '12 at 11:14
Blank
Rohit
1 point

14 Votes
6 Answers
3.39K Views
Software consultants VS Software houses profitability

Let me preface by providing a specific definition of the two types of companies I am interested in. Consultants: Software companies that generally provide their services on an hourly basis to...

asked Apr 17 '12 at 19:18
Blank
Maxim Gershkovich
234 points

14 Votes
6 Answers
3.18K Views
Profiting from a community-based website WITHOUT advertisments

What are some ways of profiting from a user-driven community-based website? The client base is for programmers, and it promotes getting individuals to come together, work, and showcase their final...

asked Apr 4 '12 at 10:33
Blank
Lance Lafontaine
190 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.19K Views
What should be our commission/expectation if we can help a big company to stop losing money?

Short background: we are 3 developers who formed a small startup for a very niche market. We do mostly programing but recently we started to provide consultancy as well. We've been working with a...

asked Mar 23 '12 at 11:23
Blank
Adhg
250 points

10 Votes
11 Answers
16.5K Views
How is it possible to make a profit off of iPhone apps?

Question: How is it possible to make a profit off of iPhone apps? I ran the math and I don't see how it's possible. What am I missing? What is a successful strategy? Background: Yesterday I...

asked Feb 7 '12 at 04:58
Blank
User1106811
66 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.04K Views
Evaluating a startup

My question is, what is the best way to evaluate a software startup as a perspective employee from the point of view of viability i.e. economic viability. I am more interested in hints related to...

asked Jan 6 '12 at 07:13
Blank
Jim
21 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.97K Views
Inputs on partnership startup

I am planning to work as a partner in a startup along with my friend. Since he is a critical resource so he is taking a major chunk of the equity and holds the decision making power. I being a part...

asked Dec 20 '11 at 16:02
Blank
Jds
3 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2K Views
Price, cost, profit, on-demand software by enterprise to "us"

we are 2 developers that have been working for a consultancy doing a mobile app for about a year, now we are ending our contracts. The enterprise that has contracted our actual/anterior...

asked Nov 22 '11 at 14:33
Blank
Tyoc213
41 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.12K Views
How to know that a startup is profitable?

How to say that a startup software company is getting profit? for example some said that if you have in bank account salaries and expenses for 3 months and running projects, this means you are...

asked Jul 20 '11 at 04:38
Blank
Amr El Garhy
118 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
How to calculate if I can make profit?

I am working a website where some people pay money for things that we sell and some people get money for services that they provide to us. Basically, from what others pay us, we pay others. My...

asked May 28 '11 at 08:55
Blank
Dave
6 points