Competition Questions

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.78K Views
Why does Wordpress have such a strong-hold on CMS marketshare?

Customizing Wordpress (apart from using themes) is very hard and it's all a bunch of spaghetti PHP code. Yet their marketshare keeps increasing over the years.Why hasn't another CMS platform that...

asked Jun 21 '15 at 13:58
Blank
Chris Jenkins
11 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
How to compete in a commodity business like T-shirts?

Selling t-shirts online has pretty much become a commodity. There are hundreds of new sites that try to sell t-shirts with cool designs. Some focus on the artwork, others focus on a story behind...

asked Jun 18 '14 at 01:43
Blank
Deborah Reed
6 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
Can you do negative SEO on your competitors to gain the #1 spot?

For my target keyword I am ranking as #1. Lately I've started seeing strange backlinks (lots of them) in Google Webmaster Tools.I suspect one of my competitors is doing it to potentially screw up...

asked Jun 19 '14 at 01:42
Blank
Kevin Kinder
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
How would you compete with Uber if you were to start a similar service?

Hypothetically speaking, if you were to start a service like Uber, how would you compete with them?What would you do differently in order to stand out?

asked Jun 27 '14 at 14:58
Blank
Leroy Greene
7 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
Where do companies like WhatRunsWhere get their data?

I'm looking to build something similar for our in-house marketing campaigns and having a tough time figuring out how they do it.Basically, companies like WhatRunsWhere, AdBeat, and MixRank let you...

asked Jul 2 '14 at 01:25
Blank
Alicia Karg
9 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
My product is better than the competitor and I can afford to lower the price. Should I ask for a higher price or sell cheaper?

I have a product that costs less than the competitors' to manufacture, so I know that I can afford to ask for a lower amount of money, but I know that my product is better. Should I then ask my...

asked Jul 7 '14 at 18:55
Blank
Robert Kotula
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
Which strategy is better when starting an eCommerce site: lower prices than competition or value add?

I'm looking to buy electronics (unlocked phones) from a wholesaler and sell them online.What's a better strategy to compete with other sites selling the same product? Should I lower my margins and...

asked Jul 7 '14 at 21:25
Blank
Morgan Barra
2 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
How to compete with Amazon if you sell the same items?

Is it possible to compete with a company like Amazon if you want to sell the same merchandise online with an eCommerce store?It will be near impossible to compete on price as they have the volume...

asked Jul 16 '14 at 18:14
Blank
Thomas Smith
12 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
1.93K Views
My startup idea is already being done and being done for free. How can I compete with free?

I'll be honest, I'm not interested in offering a free service. I plan on offering a valuable service thats trusted and easy to use. After wondering about my idea that I've been building for the...

asked Jan 14 '15 at 19:27
Blank
User34223
21 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.41K Views
Me vs. The Competition - in a niche business

How do I asses my potential competition (at an industry or market level) when working in a niche sector. I'm trying to price my services, but against what / who? I feel as if I don't have...

asked Mar 27 '15 at 09:50
Blank
C. Alden
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.26K Views
How to prevent competitors from clicking on Google Adwords ad units?

We spent a lot of money on PPC ads and lately seeing a ton of fraudulent clicks. After some investigation, they appear to be clicks by competitors. How can we prevent this from happening on not...

asked Apr 17 '15 at 10:10
Blank
Frank Heacock
12 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
Why did Richard Branson's Virgin Cola fail to compete with Coke or Pepsi?

Given that Virgin is an already established brand and they know how to market, why did they fail to grab market share from Coke and Pepsi?

0 Votes
1 Answers
What to do if a competitor copies your design?

We have a small B2B application and have poured a lot of energy and resources into designing a great user experience. Our closest competitor just "overhauled" their own UX and it's a blatant rip...

asked May 11 '14 at 18:25
Blank
Sheryl Garcia
2 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Running PPC campaigns for competitor's brand names?

I would like to run Google AdWords campaigns with the keywords as my competitor's brand names. Some questions: Is it legal to do so? Would consumers view this negatively for my brand (i.e. would my...

asked May 11 '14 at 18:44
Blank

2 Votes
1 Answers
Ways to differentiate from competition?

What are some common and not so common methodologies to differentiate from your competition? Here are some I can think of: Customer service Returns policy Donating small part of revenues to charity...

asked May 6 '14 at 17:55
Blank
Coleen Briggs
11 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
Can a competitor damage your SEO by buying low quality links? How to protect yourself against it?

Is it possible for a competitor to do negative SEO by buying thousands of low quality spammy links that point to your site?Seems like it wouldn't even cost much with services like Fiverr.If all it...

asked May 2 '14 at 15:40
Blank
Roderick Roten
1 point

0 Votes
1 Answers
Why didn't / doesn't Amazon create a service like DropBox?

DropBox's entire business is using Amazon's S3 service to provide distributed storage. Wouldn't it be easy for Amazon to offer such a service directly?It seems like an obvious choice since DropBox,...

asked Apr 17 '14 at 18:30
Blank
Mark Bartley
2 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.35K Views
How can startups create a moat or lock-in for their product?

Large companies do it with lengthy contracts or brand recognition. What strategies can startups use to lock users in. Not in terms of a shady practice like not letting them export data, but in...

asked Apr 27 '14 at 13:29
Blank
John Boucher
16 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Social media tool to track competitors and the impact of their posts?

Which social media app would you recommend to track what your competitors post and the impact of their posts?Does such a tool even exist? The closest seems to be FollowerWonk, but it's only to...

asked Apr 19 '14 at 17:43
Blank
David Rice
6 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Which is better: first to market or second mover advantage?

We have an idea for a Saas app which is the first of its kind. Even after extensive research, there is just one possible competitor, and even they aren't an exact match.It's not a question of...

asked Apr 24 '14 at 21:12
Blank
April Simmons
14 points