Competition Questions

2 Votes
3 Answers
6.25K Views
Why does Wordpress have such a strong-hold on CMS marketshare?

Customizing Wordpress (apart from using themes) is very hard and it's all a bunch of spaghetti PHP code. Yet their marketshare keeps increasing over the years.Why hasn't another CMS platform that...

asked Jun 21 '15 at 13:58
Blank
Chris Jenkins
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.3K Views
Can you do negative SEO on your competitors to gain the #1 spot?

For my target keyword I am ranking as #1. Lately I've started seeing strange backlinks (lots of them) in Google Webmaster Tools.I suspect one of my competitors is doing it to potentially screw up...

asked Jun 19 '14 at 01:42
Blank
Kevin Kinder
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.06K Views
My product is better than the competitor and I can afford to lower the price. Should I ask for a higher price or sell cheaper?

I have a product that costs less than the competitors' to manufacture, so I know that I can afford to ask for a lower amount of money, but I know that my product is better. Should I then ask my...

asked Jul 7 '14 at 18:55
Blank
Robert Kotula
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.63K Views
Which strategy is better when starting an eCommerce site: lower prices than competition or value add?

I'm looking to buy electronics (unlocked phones) from a wholesaler and sell them online.What's a better strategy to compete with other sites selling the same product? Should I lower my margins and...

asked Jul 7 '14 at 21:25
Blank
Morgan Barra
2 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
3.99K Views
My startup idea is already being done and being done for free. How can I compete with free?

I'll be honest, I'm not interested in offering a free service. I plan on offering a valuable service thats trusted and easy to use. After wondering about my idea that I've been building for the...

asked Jan 14 '15 at 19:27
Blank
User34223
21 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.41K Views
How to prevent competitors from clicking on Google Adwords ad units?

We spent a lot of money on PPC ads and lately seeing a ton of fraudulent clicks. After some investigation, they appear to be clicks by competitors. How can we prevent this from happening on not...

asked Apr 17 '15 at 10:10
Blank
Frank Heacock
12 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.47K Views
What to do if a competitor copies your design?

We have a small B2B application and have poured a lot of energy and resources into designing a great user experience. Our closest competitor just "overhauled" their own UX and it's a blatant rip...

asked May 11 '14 at 18:25
Blank
Sheryl Garcia
2 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.77K Views
Running PPC campaigns for competitor's brand names?

I would like to run Google AdWords campaigns with the keywords as my competitor's brand names. Some questions: Is it legal to do so? Would consumers view this negatively for my brand (i.e. would my...

asked May 11 '14 at 18:44
Blank
Yesenia Mc Laughlin
7 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.51K Views
Ways to differentiate from competition?

What are some common and not so common methodologies to differentiate from your competition? Here are some I can think of: Customer service Returns policy Donating small part of revenues to charity...

asked May 6 '14 at 17:55
Blank
Coleen Briggs
11 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.42K Views
Why didn't / doesn't Amazon create a service like DropBox?

DropBox's entire business is using Amazon's S3 service to provide distributed storage. Wouldn't it be easy for Amazon to offer such a service directly?It seems like an obvious choice since DropBox,...

asked Apr 17 '14 at 18:30
Blank
Mark Bartley
2 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.49K Views
How can startups create a moat or lock-in for their product?

Large companies do it with lengthy contracts or brand recognition. What strategies can startups use to lock users in. Not in terms of a shady practice like not letting them export data, but in...

asked Apr 27 '14 at 13:29
Blank
John Boucher
16 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.35K Views
Social media tool to track competitors and the impact of their posts?

Which social media app would you recommend to track what your competitors post and the impact of their posts?Does such a tool even exist? The closest seems to be FollowerWonk, but it's only to...

asked Apr 19 '14 at 17:43
Blank
David Rice
6 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.29K Views
Which is better: first to market or second mover advantage?

We have an idea for a Saas app which is the first of its kind. Even after extensive research, there is just one possible competitor, and even they aren't an exact match.It's not a question of...

asked Apr 24 '14 at 21:12
Blank
April Simmons
14 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.85K Views
Why do brands open up stores in a mall where they would have competitors?

Why wouldn't they just open their store outside of a mall where would be less competition? Every mall has several brand name stores that directly compete with each other. Wouldn't it be harder to...

asked Apr 13 '14 at 13:41
Blank
James Wentworth
9 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.72K Views
Is the market for energy drinks too saturated? How can I differentiate?

I want to start my own brand of energy drinks and related products. Would you say the market is far too saturated for any new player?What are some ways I could differentiate my product in the sea...

asked Apr 10 '14 at 23:57
Blank
Donald Kennamer
12 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.27K Views
How to deal with someone who takes an idea you told them and decides to launch it on their own?

You share a brilliant idea you had with a peer (in order to get some feedback on it). And later learn that they have decided to implement it themselves!I'm already in the process of executing on it...

asked Mar 21 '14 at 00:27
Blank
Jonathan Locke
30 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.22K Views
What are some reasons to sell a product below cost?

Lets say my company and another competitor are the only two contenders in a niche for a physical product. And the products are mostly similar (and can't really be altered much to have a big...

asked Mar 5 '14 at 11:16
Blank
Raymond Davenport
30 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.34K Views
Competitor signed up for my SaaS service. What do I do?

Should I be concerned that my direct competitor just signed up for a paid account on my SaaS product? Is it legal for them to do so with the intention of possibly copying our work? Is it legal for...

asked Feb 24 '14 at 13:37
Blank
Brad Brown
30 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.12K Views
Entering in competition with a friend

For a few years, I have been producing an application which complements a number of "IDE-style" tools in my domain. My application is useless without one of these tools. I have made a handful of...

asked Nov 17 '13 at 04:53
Blank
Sylver
146 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.64K Views
First-to-market principle in niche markets: Can competitors survive?

This is my first time on this part of SO. Go easy on me :) Say for example you know a company building a tool or app, but you discover that their way of doing it is flawed or in a more kinder way...

asked Nov 22 '13 at 06:00
Blank
Joe
201 points