Advertising Questions

75 Votes
10 Answers
20.3K Views
I build good products, but can't get anyone to use them. What should I do?

I am a web developer. In the last year and a half, I've been working on several ideas, one after the other. I found that as much as I enjoy developing them, in the end, I keep bumping my head...

asked Apr 16 '11 at 17:06
Blank
Vondip
584 points

32 Votes
12 Answers
9.38K Views
What to do next? Micro startup existential crisis

I built a small web app based on the freemium model. Free accounts are free forever, paid accounts have 3 tiers: 5, 15 and 25 bucks a month. I'm the only person behind the app, 100% self funded....

asked Nov 18 '10 at 01:33
Blank
Deb
314 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.29K Views
Advertising - Yard Signs

I found a few places online that sell yard signs for advertising in neighborhoods (you usually see these signs for political ads, yard services, etc) and I was curious if anyone has a good...

asked Oct 28 '10 at 04:33
Blank
Whoiskb
183 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
9.95K Views
How to keep coupons from being duplicated

I am running a company and have seen groupon work for some other biz owners I know. But I was thinking about running a small promo for myself and giving out coupons but am not sure how to keep my...

asked Apr 26 '13 at 08:14
Blank
Tj Sherrill
129 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
17.1K Views
How much do publishers typically pay to run Google DFP (DoubleClick)?

I'm investigating ad serving software. Google has a product, acquired from DoubleClick, called DFP. They've divided it up into a free "small business" version (too small for me) and a premium DFP...

asked May 20 '10 at 01:25
Blank
Joel Spolsky
13,482 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.16K Views
How to find advertisers for a niche that Google Adsense doesn't allow?

I own a fairly popular image hosting site (mostly memes). The content of the site isn't high value to advertisers on Google so my application to AdSense was rejected.How can I find a way to...

asked Jun 25 '14 at 13:10
Blank
Joseph Larson
12 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.74K Views
How to deal with user backlash when adding ads to your content site?

I have a private forum which has grown over the years to now have 10K registered members.I recently added Google AdSense ads to all the forum pages. The ad appears after the first post.How do you...

asked Jul 11 '14 at 17:14
Blank
Richard Baldwin
12 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.66K Views
Can ad revenue sustain this model?

Hello, I'm currently in the planning stages of a simple idea.. It's nothing major, I'm just a student and just want to get my feet wet.. However, as I think more and more about it, I'm more and...

asked Aug 9 '14 at 13:56
Blank
eXtreme
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
5.69K Views
Excellent user feedback but sales still low, what am I doing wrong?

I developed a desktop application for Windows and I'm now trying to sell it.http://www.nurgo-software.com/products/aquasnapUser feedback are excellent, I receive encouraging emails from user saying...

asked Dec 17 '14 at 10:27
Blank
User34203
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.41K Views
How to prevent competitors from clicking on Google Adwords ad units?

We spent a lot of money on PPC ads and lately seeing a ton of fraudulent clicks. After some investigation, they appear to be clicks by competitors. How can we prevent this from happening on not...

asked Apr 17 '15 at 10:10
Blank
Frank Heacock
12 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.58K Views
Low cost alternatives to Facebook ads?

Google AdWords is too expensive for our niche and Facebook ads don't convert well. What other options are available to performance marketers that has some decent scale?

asked Feb 28 '14 at 04:15
Blank
Belinda Harris
60 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.97K Views
Display ad networks for smaller publishers (less than 75K impressions per month)?

Are there any banner ad networks for sites that get less than 75K impressions per month? Almost every major network I've checked has huge requirements.

asked Mar 3 '14 at 02:05
Blank
Joanna Cash
20 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.89K Views
How should we advertise towards the Chinese demographic for our new startup?

So my new startup is ready and I want to market it to people living in china.I live in India.How should I put best efforts to advertise to Chinese People living in China.

asked Jun 1 '12 at 13:50
Blank
Himanshu Prasad
51 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.09K Views
Is revenue from "Exit Pop-ups" worth potentially annoying your visitors?

I am thinking about using an exit popup provider for users who are not logged in. So this would only apply for one-time lurkers who come from Google and leave.Is the high CPMs exit popups offer...

asked Mar 8 '14 at 14:27
Blank
Jasmin Bender
25 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
3.05K Views
Strategies for media buying?

What are some of your best strategies & hacks for buying traffic?Display, email, CPC, CPA, etc.

asked Feb 27 '14 at 22:06
Blank
Tina Bloom
25 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.81K Views
Optimizing Facebook ad targeting: what are your strategies?

We have a limited budget to begin advertising on Facebook and from all the stuff I've read it looks like the key is filtering down the target audience to find profitable segments. What are some...

asked Feb 4 '14 at 16:39
Blank
Clara
11 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
Tax Deduction On Advertising

As a sole-proprietorship living in the US. If I make $50000 income and I spent $10000 in advertising. My taxable income is $40000, correct? Now, if I re-invest the entire $40000 back into...

asked Nov 29 '13 at 09:52
Blank
User29838
1 point

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.6K Views
Revenue Models and advertising revenue

I am new to making/managing websites. Infact, I haven't even dipped my toe in yet. I have an idea with a potential client base in Millions(education related). The content is being provided by a...

asked Nov 25 '13 at 07:07
Blank
Bernard
1 point

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.32K Views
Estimating ad revenue

How many page views should a website generate to achieve an ad revenue of $1M/year? The site is a general/global news site targeting all types of audience. I am aware that a precise answer can not...

asked Nov 27 '13 at 22:05
Blank
Paul
140 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.41K Views
Ad Sense vs. YouTube

My understanding is that you can get paid per thousand views of YouTube videos. My understanding is that you get something slightly different with ad sense, where you get a cut of number of click...

asked Oct 14 '13 at 00:44
Blank
James Oravec
115 points