Server Questions

1 Votes
7 Answers
7.57K Views
Server costs for video startup

I've been going over some of the posts here regarding server costs but couldn't really find any information specific to my needs. I'm planning on creating a mobile app that deals with users...

asked May 21 '12 at 05:40
Blank
Zipper
6 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.66K Views
Can ad revenue sustain this model?

Hello, I'm currently in the planning stages of a simple idea.. It's nothing major, I'm just a student and just want to get my feet wet.. However, as I think more and more about it, I'm more and...

asked Aug 9 '14 at 13:56
Blank
eXtreme
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.78K Views
Why do PaaS services like Heroku exist that simply re-sell Amazon AWS?

Why are services like Heroku so popular when all they really do is set up AWS servers (which is fairly easy) and significantly markup the price? You could easily setup the servers yourself and pay...

asked May 27 '14 at 13:43
Blank
George Hughes
9 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.67K Views
Cheap backend alternative for both space and processor "intensive"?

I have a start-up idea that is data-centric for users. This means that each user would have something like 5GB at least. But there is also a good amount of data processing, so I can't imagine have...

asked Nov 2 '13 at 00:49
Blank
Felipe Tanus
106 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.56K Views
Tax consequences of server location

We are about to set up our production environment in AWS and are wondering about the tax consequences of where the servers are located. We are a Swedish start-up and since AWS is cheapest in the US...

asked Oct 4 '12 at 16:15
Blank
Yrlec
108 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.74K Views
Physical server location and place of supply

I have a company which is based in the UK, but I myself don't live in the UK (I do come to the UK from time to time). The company has a registered office address in the UK, but not a physical...

asked Jun 3 '12 at 08:50
Blank
Lukeshek
452 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.76K Views
Possible to run high volume website on managed hosting?

These days, obtaining managed hosting is very easy. You can get a reliable managed dedicated server from a reputable host for just a couple hundred of dollars per month. Is it possible with the...

asked Jan 12 '12 at 05:30
Blank
Sk24iam
344 points

4 Votes
8 Answers
4.36K Views
Buying a low-budget server. What is important ? High traffic?

I need a server that can handle a lot of traffic for my iPhone app. I am just a student, so affording a server in the thousands is rather not an option. How can I handle that ? Can I rent servers ?...

asked Jan 13 '12 at 03:48
Blank
Martin
130 points

0 Votes
5 Answers
2.35K Views
Hits per day Exceed Server Capacity Dilemma

I have not actually bought the server hardware yet, but I am anticipating that when I do, my budget can only allow hardware enough to support 2000 hits per day on my website. How should I handle it...

asked Dec 20 '11 at 16:32
Blank
Matthew
1 point

-2 Votes
3 Answers
3K Views
How to start a hosted ecommerce solution like Shopify and Volusion?

I'm thinking of building a django application which is like an online shopping mall similar to eBay and Amazon. My business model is somewhat like that of Shopify or Volusion, which means I will...

asked Nov 14 '11 at 11:48
Blank
User14412
1 point

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.34K Views
What are some cloud based options for a file server?

Have just joined a startup that has no infrastructure at all. At the moment we are only 3, expect to grow to 10 6 months from now, then possibly another 10 a few months thereafter. I am the only...

asked Sep 25 '11 at 23:06
Blank
Avg Joe007
26 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.51K Views
What are you doing about the Amazon EC2 issues?

Amazon has been having a lot of issues on EC2 through this weekend and I am sure many other startups got burned by them. What are you guys doing about it? Do you consider Amazon equally reliable...

asked Apr 25 '11 at 22:52
Blank
Jorge Guzman
45 points

7 Votes
4 Answers
4.59K Views
How important is the server location?

My small software company - Jitbit - currently uses servers located in the US (for both our website and SAAS solutions) because the majority of our customers is there. But I consider moving to a...

asked Apr 27 '11 at 19:19
Blank
Jitbit
267 points

1 Votes
7 Answers
3.18K Views
Reliable and inexpensive dedicated server

I am looking to dump GoDaddy, the company I was with for the last 5 years or so. Yesterday my dedicated server went down for at least 5 hours. I was not impressed with the support I received and at...

asked Nov 4 '10 at 22:04
Blank
Usabilitest
1,698 points