Hosting Questions

2 Votes
5 Answers
3.51K Views
Ramp Up Deployment for LAMP - Hosting recommendation?

As premature as it is right now, I'd still like to ask for your recommendation for a good scalable LAMP deployment. I will probably launch the beta with a single box, or a web server and a database...

asked Jan 4 '10 at 12:12
Blank
Ron M.
4,224 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.69K Views
What's a solid hosting company located in the British Virgin Islands? (BVI)

As a quick prologue: a client is setting up a corporation in the BVI for tax / legal purposes. Due to this, I'm currently searching for a hosting company located in BVI to run their website from....

asked Feb 16 '11 at 05:03
Blank
Brent Lachman
41 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.03K Views
Which cloud hosting service would you recommend for startups: PaaS like Heroku and AWS or virtual servers like Digital Ocean and Linode?

For a new startup with limited funds and a single developer, would you recommend PaaS platforms like Heroku or self-managed server instances like Digital Ocean?Also, is it just me or does AWS seems...

asked Jun 12 '15 at 11:40
Blank
Chester Davis
11 points

26 Votes
10 Answers
34.8K Views
What is the real price of an Amazon EC2 machine?

Every time I have new idea I usually have a to build a small website as a prototype to pitch it. Every time I wonder what hoster to use and it seems that every time I change hoster for various...

asked Feb 23 '11 at 04:39
Blank
Antony P.
714 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
4.66K Views
What's the best way to integrate video without using bandwidth on my website?

I have a Social Networking site for a niche market I need members to be able to view and upload content My members content is copyrighted therefore in no way can the content be available to the...

asked Apr 27 '11 at 11:41
Blank
Jodi W Von Oettingen
19 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.78K Views
Why do PaaS services like Heroku exist that simply re-sell Amazon AWS?

Why are services like Heroku so popular when all they really do is set up AWS servers (which is fairly easy) and significantly markup the price? You could easily setup the servers yourself and pay...

asked May 27 '14 at 13:43
Blank
George Hughes
9 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.26K Views
Amazon EC2 or VPS or dedicated server or colocation? Which one to pick to start?

Which of the following should I go with for a new startup that is just getting off the ground? Amazon EC2 VPS provider like Digital Ocean or Heroku Dedicated server Colocate my own hardware My...

asked Feb 23 '14 at 15:02
Blank
Randy Monk
110 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.69K Views
How one can make money hosting open source software

I have read that for open source software developers, 3 common ways to make money are hosting, consulting, and support. I understand support and consulting but what is hosting? When I read...

asked Oct 14 '13 at 03:25
Blank
Victor
137 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.98K Views
Being asked to cost up domain registration and hosting setup

Im a web developer, and I've been asked to provide a quote on a small ecommerce website. Part of the quote includes domain setup and monthly fees, and by this Im presuming domain name registration...

asked Jun 12 '13 at 15:43
Blank
Digiwig
6 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.58K Views
Should I contact customers about canceling who are not using services they pay for?

I own a small website hosting and services company. Most of my clients make automatic payments for recurring hosting services. However, what is the appropriate way to handle customers that have...

asked Jan 30 '13 at 08:43
Blank
Matt Beckman
132 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.88K Views
Hosting images outside main site?

I noticed that sites like StackOverflow host user-submitted images outside their site, (in the SO case, at imgur). I've also seen forums do the same thing. Are there advantages to taking this...

asked Oct 30 '12 at 03:49
Blank
Martin's
121 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.25K Views
WebHosting - things that I should consider

We build an application that uses Java's Servlet 3.0 features. Among others, we use heavily its Non-blocking IO support therefore a high CPU requirement should be expected. Furthermore, we use...

asked Oct 9 '12 at 08:08
Blank
Ionut
109 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.48K Views
Mobile Web development environment; build or buy?

I already publish apps for the major platforms but our mobile development has lagged behind. I have my developers working on enhancements to our mobile site functionality, but I'm not sure whether...

asked Jan 25 '12 at 02:51
Blank
Nicko
840 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.76K Views
Possible to run high volume website on managed hosting?

These days, obtaining managed hosting is very easy. You can get a reliable managed dedicated server from a reputable host for just a couple hundred of dollars per month. Is it possible with the...

asked Jan 12 '12 at 05:30
Blank
Sk24iam
344 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.25K Views
Is it legal to host unlimited domains in an unlimited hosting plan?

I have an unlimited webhosting plan from http://www.domainindia.org/web_site_hosting_india.php. I want to give my users a registered domain name like: usersite.com and provide a cpanel to them...

asked Jan 15 '12 at 19:58
Blank
Sunil Kumar
1 point

2 Votes
6 Answers
3.47K Views
Webhosting solutions for a startup

We have a small business that needs a webhosting solution. We will probably be able to support the following: Login to set up a shopping cart software (Magento most likely). Unlimited...

asked Dec 30 '11 at 01:31
Blank
Karlson
1,779 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
4.13K Views
What kind of project collaboration tools are used in a lean startup

We would like to understand the kind of tools which are used by other startup(s) for maintaining their projects. Project hosting (SVN or Git) - We have finalized on using Git. Email collaboration...

asked Dec 8 '11 at 17:33
Blank
Priya
111 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.42K Views
VPS alternatives that are reliable and have little downtime

I've checked out Amazon EC2, RackSpace, And Linode, They're great actually but each has its pros and cons. EC2 offers 5 IP's already without request, but it's impossible to associate multiple IP's...

asked Nov 28 '11 at 05:31
Blank
Ryan
139 points

-2 Votes
3 Answers
3K Views
How to start a hosted ecommerce solution like Shopify and Volusion?

I'm thinking of building a django application which is like an online shopping mall similar to eBay and Amazon. My business model is somewhat like that of Shopify or Volusion, which means I will...

asked Nov 14 '11 at 11:48
Blank
User14412
1 point

0 Votes
4 Answers
3.02K Views
Are there any benchmarks for hosting/infrastructure/licensing costs for a SaaS provider?

Does anyone know of benchmarks or comparisons for hosting/software/infrastucture costs for a SaaS startup? We are running at about 3.2% of Gross Revenue and 11% of net revenue. We feel like we are...

asked Sep 15 '11 at 03:15
Blank
Boom Town Tech
101 points