Hosting Questions

1 Votes
8 Answers
3.28K Views
Hosting for web app

Can you recommend a hosting company that is both affordable and very good in order for my startup to have a good always-online image? It's nothing complicated that requires a dedicated server or at...

asked Aug 23 '11 at 04:02
Blank
Francisc
108 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.51K Views
How to Market Web Hosting

I have a question as to how to market something that's in a rather saturated market. It's a hosting company that's just getting started. Hosting's a tough nut to crack. How would you market...

asked Aug 11 '11 at 15:06
Blank
Melanie
133 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.19K Views
Is it possible to startup a web hosting / development company that only communicates via email

Is it possible to start up a web hosting / development company that only communicates via email?

asked May 16 '11 at 02:36
Blank
Cssss
6 points

7 Votes
4 Answers
4.61K Views
How important is the server location?

My small software company - Jitbit - currently uses servers located in the US (for both our website and SAAS solutions) because the majority of our customers is there. But I consider moving to a...

asked Apr 27 '11 at 19:19
Blank
Jitbit
267 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.48K Views
Shopping list of tools and services for new startup

I'm looking for good-value, top-class applications and tools to support a new software startup. What recommendations do you have in the following categories? Domain name / hosting / website /...

asked May 1 '11 at 06:03
Blank
Paperjam
21 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
5.97K Views
PCI compliance and Visa Third Party Agent requirements

I own a web hosting company and maintain my own servers in a colocation facility. I do not resell the hosting services of another company. My new startup company is a SaaS provider that I'm hosting...

asked Apr 20 '11 at 12:57
Blank
Tauren
240 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.7K Views
Cost Analysis for hosting up a web application

I am in the process of planning a venture related to a social web application targeted towards a very specific user group. I need your help to do cost analysis of hosting my web application (on...

asked Apr 1 '11 at 00:01
Blank
Aklin81
125 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.67K Views
Figuring out margin on fixed costs

I'm currently hashing out my price points for a hosting service that I plan on launching on Amazon AWS. The biggest line item in the budget is currently the machine time. I know that if I give a...

asked Feb 12 '11 at 07:07
Blank
James
139 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.55K Views
Hosting advice for B2B SaaS Startup - just sign-up page, and a blog

Ours is a B2B SaaS startup (LAMP stack). We are at a very early stage of the Startup. So, we don't need any dedicated hosting at this time. We have planned to use Amazon (not finalized though). In...

asked Jan 26 '11 at 15:39
Blank
Dhana
16 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.07K Views
Registrars - Recommendations

Any recommendations on website registrars? I've used NameZero and Register.com in the past but my domains are just parked. Going to be looking for another domain name soon and wondered if there are...

asked Feb 2 '11 at 13:12
Blank
Steve D
318 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.99K Views
Are there any sites that measure the page response speed of various hosting companies?

I'm looking for the equivalent of consumer reports for hosting companies. But I would be happy with any neutral data comparing one site to another. Does anyone have any links to data the speed of...

asked Jan 16 '11 at 03:24
Blank
Mark Rogers
149 points

2 Votes
7 Answers
2.86K Views
What are some names of some good hosting providers with data centers in Canada?

Need a partner for hosting our windows / SQL application in Canada...all data and backup on Canadian servers. Any good (reputable companies only) suggestions? Price is a factor but it has to be a...

asked Dec 18 '10 at 00:59
Blank
Paroon Chadha
61 points

1 Votes
6 Answers
3.49K Views
Want to offer SaaS product via RDP, any recommendation on hosting

We already have a desktop product for Windows. Unfortunately it is a win32/64 exe for Windows, and making a web version would take some years. We want to join the SaaS party, so we want to...

asked Dec 4 '10 at 05:59
Blank
Jag V.
6 points

4 Votes
8 Answers
4.23K Views
A good VPS hosting solution?

Currently I'm using a VPS from Network Solutions, they are running Fedora Core release 6. It's ancient and they are not going to upgrade it. I want a VPS with the latest, or at least not so old, OS...

asked Dec 8 '10 at 11:49
Blank
Charles Visio
23 points

4 Votes
7 Answers
2.51K Views
Falsify address of company on hosting website

My problem is that we're planning on using Windows Azure hosting, but we're from Jamaica. Windows Azure does not yet allow hosting in Jamaica. Is it okay for a company to falsify an address to get...

asked Dec 1 '10 at 01:26
Blank
Shawn Mclean
220 points

4 Votes
6 Answers
4.2K Views
Choosing Windows Hosting company for SaaS application

This is basically a ripoff of this question, but for windows only. I am building a public website that will handle user data. This website is built on an Authentication system that I would like to...

asked Dec 1 '10 at 01:38
Blank
Shawn Mclean
220 points

1 Votes
6 Answers
3.36K Views
I'm naive, technically savy, but I can't write a line of code so I just hired a coder to build me a web application

I'm naive, technically savy, but I can't write a line of code so I just hired a coder to build me a web application.... anyways, I have a few questions about what happens next?! I have this great...

asked Oct 23 '10 at 08:12
Blank
Alex
40 points

1 Votes
7 Answers
3.19K Views
Reliable and inexpensive dedicated server

I am looking to dump GoDaddy, the company I was with for the last 5 years or so. Yesterday my dedicated server went down for at least 5 hours. I was not impressed with the support I received and at...

asked Nov 4 '10 at 22:04
Blank
Usabilitest
1,698 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.8K Views
How to know if I will need a dedicated server?

I am currently building my business on a shared hosting account with a reliable host(hostgator). When my site goes live, what should I look for that would be an indication that I should switch to a...

asked Nov 6 '10 at 01:14
Blank
Sk24iam
344 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.13K Views
Looking for tips on how to obtain a corporate sponsorship for a blog

I have been running a blog about tech related stuff pertaining to the city of Austin for a few months now. I know is a very short time, however, in this short period of time I've seen how traffic...

asked Oct 12 '10 at 12:28
Blank
Ricardo
4,815 points