Domain Questions

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.25K Views
Is it ever worth paying money to acquire a domain name for your startup?

The name my cofounder and I would like to use is taken and the current owner quotes us $7000 for the domain name.Is it ever worth for a startup to invest a tidy amount of money like that in a...

asked Jul 23 '14 at 21:40
Blank
John Murray
6 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
20.4K Views
Why do so many startups use .io domain names?

The only reason I can see is that .com domains for the name you want are hard to come by. Apart from that reason, is there any other benefit to an .io domain? What are the Pros and Cons of using...

asked May 13 '14 at 13:40
Blank
William Cunningham
14 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.12K Views
I own a domain extension of a publicly traded company. Could I sell it?

I registered a .us extension of a startup which is now public on Nasdaq.Is it legal for me to sell the domain name on a marketplace like Flippa or Godaddy Auctions?P.S. My intention wasn't to be a...

asked Apr 3 '14 at 22:12
Blank
Vivian Sims
7 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.79K Views
Domain Name Transfer to former employer

I was the original registrant and owner of the domain name my (former) company website. The company never "acquired" nor did I assign it to the company. The company is now threatening that I should...

asked Aug 31 '13 at 10:41
Blank
Gupshup
52 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.18K Views
Can a domain name be co-owned?

Me and a friend are building a website together. At the moment, it's been great just learning but we have a mind that if it got successful enough eventually we would like to monetize it. We want...

asked Sep 4 '13 at 23:25
Blank
Stickman
106 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.06K Views
How should I use my domain name?

Other than the setting up email's and a public facing website, what else can I do with my domain name for my business?

asked Jul 23 '13 at 08:19
Blank
Henry
109 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.96K Views
What importance does domain name plays in getting seed funding?

I want to start another dot-com company. So, can you tell me what importance domain name plays to get Seed funding? The startup will be primarily based on web and company name might not be same as...

asked Jul 17 '13 at 05:42
Blank
Gaurav Goyal
47 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.3K Views
Equity split for odd relationship

I am developing a SaaS platform by bootstrapping with sweat equity while covering the bills with a full time job. I am probably 2-3 months away from launching a viable public beta, and to this...

asked Jun 28 '13 at 09:39
Blank
Shaun
8 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.16K Views
Choosing the right domain when none available for a multilingual startup

I am running a startup idea by my own. I am doing all programming, design, promotion etc. not because I do not enjoy team work but because I haven't met the proper people. My idea was based upon...

asked May 19 '13 at 22:49
Blank
Rob Del
113 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.51K Views
Domain name confusion

Intended name for my startup seems to be free to use. A search in global/eu/us trademark databases all returned no entity with the same name. TLDs with my domain are either free or offered for...

asked May 9 '13 at 05:15
Blank
Eneyee
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.2K Views
Acquiring a domain name that claims to be under construction

I am planning to launch a new SaaS product that nicely fits a catchy word. it would make a perfect brand name, but the domain name is already taken. the site claims to be under construction for at...

asked Mar 15 '13 at 00:22
Blank
Jani Kovacs
75 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.33K Views
Domain registration in the US for foreign domain

As is obvious I am located in the US but my customers are in the former Soviet Republics. So I am looking to register a domain localized for them. For example most web hosting providers in the US...

asked Feb 13 '13 at 01:13
Blank
Karlson
1,779 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
1.87K Views
Choosing between a .com hyphenated domain name and a non .com without a hyphen

My website is going to be about technical tutorials/stuff and later I also plan to release an ebook. It's very focused on an important technical topic. The best domain possible is composed to 2...

asked Feb 16 '13 at 00:23
Blank
Oneblueearth
21 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
4.55K Views
Are cuss words always bad in domain/company names

So, I have an idea for a startup and have come up with what I consider to be an excellent name for it, however it contains a cuss word. Specifically "shit ". While I don't want to divulge the...

asked Jan 30 '13 at 14:29
Blank
Maxim Gershkovich
234 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.73K Views
Choosing a domain / app name... What if another company already uses it?

Obviously, you can't use the same name as another BIG, recognizable company. And you also want to avoid trademark issues. But what about these two scenarios: You finally find a domain name and...

asked Jan 9 '13 at 22:29
Blank
Bc Web
101 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.01K Views
Is .in (dot-in) a viable domain extension?

I've been pulling my hair out trying to come up with a domain name for my upcoming social bookmarking web app I've spent hours on thesaurus.com trying to find an unusual name that hasn't already...

asked Dec 24 '12 at 23:44
Blank
Richard
357 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.97K Views
Location Specific Domain Name?

I am about to name a business that I have been working on and I want to leave room to expand but I don't want that to dampen the response for the initial location where I am starting the business....

asked Dec 28 '12 at 06:05
Blank
Clifgray
200 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
3.29K Views
.com domain with hyphen or .info without hyphen?

Let's say I have a choice between best-something.com and bestsomething.info, and my website will contain articles how to choose best "something" and reviews of various "something". I read a lot...

asked Dec 7 '12 at 16:04
Blank
Lissanro Rahyen
8 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.98K Views
Should I buy a .com domain name?

Possible Duplicate: Non .Com Domains - Does it Really Affect Branding? What do you think - will a .com domain be more or less worth with the rise of the new domain extensions like .app and...

asked Nov 29 '12 at 23:37
Blank
Tom
6 points

9 Votes
3 Answers
2.49K Views
Somebody got a trademark for a domain I own. I am planning to launch my service in a week

I have a domain name, (lets call it XYZ.com) which I have owned for about an year and a related service that I have been developing for about an year too. I just searched the trademark database,...

asked Sep 23 '12 at 02:06
Blank
Royal1122
252 points