Domain Questions

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.3K Views
What are some pitfalls when registering a .com domain name and how do you avoid them?

I have no experience registering a .com domain name and am looking into how to do this. I came across a site which lists “10 things you must know before you register a domain name with anyone.” The...

asked Sep 29 '12 at 23:42
Blank
Rinzwind
116 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.78K Views
Domain name protection of international trademark

How strong / weak is owning a .com and / or other common domain extensions (.org, .net) as a means of protecting an international trademark? Assuming that the domain name does not infringe upon...

asked Sep 9 '12 at 20:58
Blank
Josh
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.04K Views
Split main website and core application

I have question about some organizational issue. Is a good idea to split my main information website (home, about, contact, ...) and my core application service to domain and subdomain? For...

asked Sep 14 '12 at 08:42
Blank
Grzegorz
144 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
3.23K Views
Choosing a URL: balancing a bad name with a great URL vs. a great name with a bad URL

Assume I've made a (hypothetical) online game where you equip two cats that rule small feifdoms, and they fight each other. I haven't done this! It's just an example. But say I did this, and I...

asked Aug 2 '12 at 04:39
Blank
Mattshepherd
133 points

7 Votes
3 Answers
4.15K Views
Domain name for startup taken by a broker, should we buy it before we've built a business around our name?

I'm launching a new project/company, upon which we've decided on a name that we really like. We're planning to first target the UK, before expanding worldwide. Unfortunately (and annoyingly), the...

asked Jul 5 '12 at 18:14
Blank
Anonymous
557 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.02K Views
Which business domain to forward to?

Question: Should I forward my business website to my easier to remember .co or my longer .com? I have two domain names, one of which I was going to forward to my longer .com one. Except when I...

asked Jul 10 '12 at 02:38
Blank
Dkroy
130 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.03K Views
Does creatively naming a product make it look inferior?

I have developed a product and did a basic search for domain names, and to get the domain name I want I will need to more creatively name my product. Does this creative naming turn off some...

asked Jun 23 '12 at 00:51
Blank
Dkroy
130 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.66K Views
Is there any negative implication in using a .ly domain extension?

I have a good domain I'd like to use for my startup and it would require a .ly. Should I try to avoid having to use a .ly? Any negative implications or connotations come along with using a .ly?

asked Jun 23 '12 at 12:14
Blank
Ephraim
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.22K Views
Can I become a domain name or URL registrar?

I want to sell domain names, but not the names I own. Rather, I want to sell the available domains in the general pool of available domains such as those sold by Domain.com an GoDaddy for under...

asked May 31 '12 at 03:57
Blank
Samthe Brand
108 points

14 Votes
3 Answers
2.26K Views
What approach to buying a registered domain that is not in use?

I've got my eyes on a dot-com domain name. I have used the dot-net domain name for years but I want to step things up a notch and secure the dot-com version. I know that the domain in question is...

asked May 10 '12 at 22:55
Blank
Torben Gundtofte Bruun
350 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
3.72K Views
Shortened vs full domain name as primary domain

I'm working for a non-profit company, and I was wondering what your thoughts are on the following options for the primary domain name: thexyzalliance.org txyz.org thexyz.org Originally, I was...

asked Apr 28 '12 at 11:24
Blank
Blacktie24
104 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.94K Views
Using Domain name in EULA of a software rather than my name in the Licensor field

I intend to sell a software solution.I have already registered a domain but i dont have a registered company.Can i use my website/domain name eg:myproduct.com for the licensor field in the EULA...

asked Apr 6 '12 at 13:37
Blank
User17330
18 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.99K Views
Trademark for Domain Name

I am currently in the process of building a website and would like to know how I can register a trademark for the name of my website (to avoid possible problems with the competition). What I am...

asked Apr 10 '12 at 06:53
Blank
Ben
136 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
3.23K Views
Should I change my domain name if there is a company with the same name?

I recently registered a co.uk domain name which I was hoping to use as the site for an e-commerce business. After registering I checked companies house and found there is already a registered Ltd....

asked Apr 12 '12 at 00:00
Blank
User20236
133 points

8 Votes
4 Answers
2.86K Views
How to respond to an offer to purchase a domain name

A few years ago, I had an idea for a startup. I registered a domain name, Twitter account and formed an LLC but haven't done much since. I've just been emailed by an individual at Sedo asking if...

asked Feb 11 '12 at 02:01
Blank
Chris
43 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.15K Views
Can I rent out a domain to my company?

Before I registered a limited company, I had bought a few domains containing the name of the company. Can I rent out the domains to my company? Is this legal? I don't want to sell the domains as in...

asked Feb 11 '12 at 08:49
Blank
Lukeshek
452 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
4.03K Views
How would you convince a domain owner to sell his domain to you?

I'm wanting to have a domain name for my business that has already been registered by someone but that he is not using. He is offering it to me for $1000 (which is too much for me) and I offered...

asked Feb 13 '12 at 16:04
Blank
Aditya
18 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.59K Views
PUN domain name suffixes

Possible Duplicate: Non .Com Domains - Does it Really Affect Branding? I have been meaning to get on with my idea and first thing - the domain for its website. Naturally it was already taken,...

asked Feb 18 '12 at 03:09
Blank
Kellogs
135 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.89K Views
Generalistic-sounding COM domain available. Any trademark/patent issues?

I've been doing choosing of an appropriate domain name for my upcoming startup and I've identified a bunch of potentially usable names. They are available on COM. But! They are rather generalistic...

asked Jan 26 '12 at 21:41
Blank
Fobo
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.02K Views
do I need to buy the domain suffix of my competitor's country?

I am lucky to have found the most ideal domain name with TLDs free. the problem comes in with local one of competitor's country here :) I thought generally buying all secondaries (non-TLDs like...

asked Jan 18 '12 at 23:16
Blank
Obady
6 points