Trademark Questions

1 Votes
3 Answers
4.88K Views
Can a Greek letter be trademarked (for use within the scope of a particular service offering)?

Let's say we offer an approach to better dental hygiene and we call it the change™ dental hygiene solution and we represent our change™ solution with the Greek delta (?) symbol. Hence, we might...

asked Mar 5 '13 at 06:07
Blank
C. Scott
85 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.53K Views
Competitors using similar words in their offerings

So my business is called The Hot Wafel (Wafel is spelled like this in Europe).A competitor is using the words "Hot Waffles" to describe what he offers to the public. Is their potential conflict...

asked Jul 7 '14 at 00:53
Blank
Rick Unuia
6 points

7 Votes
2 Answers
3.19K Views
How generic a product name can be?

Let's say I created a software that automates the creation of Joomla CMS templates (this is just an example, I'm not into that). I manage to buy the domain name joomlatemplate.com. Great. But what...

asked May 2 '11 at 22:59
Blank
User9982
206 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.48K Views
How to Pick Globally Unique Company Name?

When starting a new company we try to pick a name that is unique. However, now that business is global it's nearly impossible to pick a name that is not in use somewhere. I was wondering: What...

asked Nov 8 '13 at 16:30
Blank
Alfa Zulu
116 points

-1 Votes
2 Answers
2K Views
Someone Trademarked my idea for Tshirt athletic apparal line 30 days before I did and stole my idea ? What can I do ? Can I win?

I play baseball, talking on twitter 8/12 put my little saying that I have used for years and was going to trademark. Another baseball player said he liked it told him I was going to patent it and...

asked Nov 15 '13 at 05:21
Blank
Ogden
4 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.25K Views
Is "airbag" a registered trademark?

I want use the word "airbag" in combination with another word for my future online service, is this word a registered trademark ?

asked Nov 27 '13 at 23:43
Blank
Elsadek
4 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.97K Views
How close to a trademark can I get before I'm at risk of getting sued?

Background So, you may have heard of the "Net Promoter Score" which is trademarked term and is a metric for customer satisfaction and loyalty. Basically, there is a formula for calculating the...

asked Nov 6 '13 at 09:28
Blank
Kristian
141 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.38K Views
Trademark, allowed or not?

I hope I am posting this in the right board. My problem Making a new commercial Application name I don't understand how to read the trademarks Afraid of breaking trademark rules and have to...

asked Sep 6 '13 at 03:12
Blank
Alice
108 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.08K Views
Facebook Wall trademark, not being used anymore?

Profiles are called Timeline's and not Wall's anymore. So I was wondering, does that mean if Facebook is not using the "Wall" trademark anymore if they will lose the trademark eventually? Maybe new...

asked Aug 20 '13 at 09:32
Blank
Keverw
116 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.32K Views
Can a company claim infringement if someone copied their organizational scheme?

For example, if an Amazon competitor had the exact same product categories, or if a Craigslist competitor had the exact same categories...I'm mostly talking about how you categorize what you're...

asked Aug 20 '13 at 16:08
Blank
Aerovistae
115 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.51K Views
If someone has a very similar name, can I get a trademark?

I am developing a web site with an idea that it would be a networking platform for small companies. I have registered the name (Let's call it www.merchandiize.com for now...), however I have...

asked May 19 '13 at 00:40
Blank
Disconnect25
16 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
5.75K Views
Using another company's logo in my company's video - I don't seem to have a choice

So I am working on a start up company in the fitness sector. Besides a couple of other things we are making training videos for fitness instructors, to show them how to do the moves and such. Our...

asked Jun 3 '13 at 07:29
Blank
Olli
89 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.98K Views
Interpretation of phrase "X, namely Y" in trademark?

I have a question regarding how a certain aspect of trademarks should be interpreted in the general sense, but I'll provide some of the specifics of my situation as a concrete example. The General...

asked May 8 '13 at 07:54
Blank
rbwhitaker
3,465 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.51K Views
Domain name confusion

Intended name for my startup seems to be free to use. A search in global/eu/us trademark databases all returned no entity with the same name. TLDs with my domain are either free or offered for...

asked May 9 '13 at 05:15
Blank
Eneyee
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.72K Views
Does generic use of a trademarked term (e.g., Klout) constitute infringement?

My understanding is that trademarks afford protection when used as an adjective to represent goods or services, but they do not afford protection for generic usage of a trademarked term and only...

asked Feb 16 '13 at 01:24
Blank
Cesel
128 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.61K Views
What if there is a similar named iPhone app already in the app store?

I am about to submit my first app to the Apple app store. Let's say that it is called "GreatClock". There is already an app on the market called "great clock". There is some variable spelling,...

asked Jan 18 '13 at 14:05
Blank
User35610
13 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.08K Views
Is it advisable to name my startup www.teamsomething.com if www.somethingapp.com already exists?

I am working on setting up an app development company along with a few of my friends. Assume that the name I want is "something". Since www.something.com was unavailable, I have decided to name it...

asked Dec 14 '12 at 22:14
Blank
User22090
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.86K Views
How to write a trademark product/service desciption

Filing a trademark seems easy and relatively cheap. And I'm planning to do so to protect my new brand despite it not being particularly valuable. The tricky part - the part where you have to decide...

asked Dec 3 '12 at 02:34
Blank
Paperjam
394 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.31K Views
Using Trademarked Sports Logos in my artwork

Can I display original artwork in an exhibit if it contains trademarked logos, colors, fonts? An example would be an original oil painting I have of two NFL players wearing trademarked team...

asked Nov 14 '12 at 05:35
Blank
Rob
6 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.98K Views
Would Android dot net/com/org domain extension violate trademark law?

I have read that android by itself is trademarked by Google but adding words to it such as "android lovers" is deemed legal. So my question is if you purchased a domain name with only the word...

asked Oct 25 '12 at 01:07
Blank
Marc
11 points