Trademark Questions

0 Votes
0 Answers
Image license for logo

I bought a "royalty-free" license for an image on Dreamstime.com. They advertised it as royalty-free, and this implied that I could use it for anything. After I bought it, I found out that the...

asked Jun 22 '17 at 16:04
Blank
Paul Yang
1 point

1 Votes
3 Answers
1.57K Views
Can a Greek letter be trademarked (for use within the scope of a particular service offering)?

Let's say we offer an approach to better dental hygiene and we call it the change™ dental hygiene solution and we represent our change™ solution with the Greek delta (?) symbol. Hence, we might...

asked Mar 5 '13 at 06:07
Blank
C. Scott
85 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Competitors using similar words in their offerings

So my business is called The Hot Wafel (Wafel is spelled like this in Europe).A competitor is using the words "Hot Waffles" to describe what he offers to the public. Is their potential conflict...

asked Jul 7 '14 at 00:53
Blank
Rick Unuia
6 points

5 Votes
1 Answers
Is it fair use to use a registered trademark in a comparative statement?

I'm building a service which I'd like to describe through a comparison to another service ( because its very simple to understand from a users perspective and quite catchy ) The service im building...

asked Jan 6 '11 at 00:49
Blank
Karlfreeman
128 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Would it be trademark infringement if I named my travel company after a cartoon character?

I'm starting a niche travel agency that only deals with trips to Disneyland. Could I possibly run in trouble if I name it after a Disney cartoon character?

asked May 12 '14 at 16:40
Blank
Lonnie Britt
6 points

7 Votes
2 Answers
How generic a product name can be?

Let's say I created a software that automates the creation of Joomla CMS templates (this is just an example, I'm not into that). I manage to buy the domain name joomlatemplate.com. Great. But what...

asked May 2 '11 at 22:59
Blank
User9982
206 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
Can a logo be trademarked if it uses a font created by someone else?

I'm thinking of using a logo that I created with a Google Web Font. Assuming I can trademark the name, can I also trademark the stylized wordmark, even if I use a font that's licensed under the SIL...

asked Dec 6 '13 at 02:43
Blank
Zach Rattner
104 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
How to Pick Globally Unique Company Name?

When starting a new company we try to pick a name that is unique. However, now that business is global it's nearly impossible to pick a name that is not in use somewhere. I was wondering: What...

asked Nov 8 '13 at 16:30
Blank
Alfa Zulu
116 points

-1 Votes
2 Answers
Someone Trademarked my idea for Tshirt athletic apparal line 30 days before I did and stole my idea ? What can I do ? Can I win?

I play baseball, talking on twitter 8/12 put my little saying that I have used for years and was going to trademark. Another baseball player said he liked it told him I was going to patent it and...

asked Nov 15 '13 at 05:21
Blank
Ogden
4 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Can you market integration with Microsoft without paying any tribute?

Is it possible to start a business with a product who's sole purpose is integrating with Microsoft Office without paying Microsoft any tribute? Or would I have to be heavily involved with Microsoft...

asked Nov 26 '13 at 03:50
Blank

0 Votes
2 Answers
Is "airbag" a registered trademark?

I want use the word "airbag" in combination with another word for my future online service, is this word a registered trademark ?

asked Nov 27 '13 at 23:43
Blank
Elsadek
4 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
Using other brand's logos if I recognise the rightful owners?

I have an app that gives info and trivia facts about globally recognised brands, sports teams etc. If I want to use photos or logos that belong to these brands, can I use a disclaimer notice that...

asked Nov 5 '13 at 18:09
Blank
Keith
6 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
How close to a trademark can I get before I'm at risk of getting sued?

Background So, you may have heard of the "Net Promoter Score" which is trademarked term and is a metric for customer satisfaction and loyalty. Basically, there is a formula for calculating the...

asked Nov 6 '13 at 09:28
Blank
Kristian
141 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
Trademark, allowed or not?

I hope I am posting this in the right board. My problem Making a new commercial Application name I don't understand how to read the trademarks Afraid of breaking trademark rules and have to...

asked Sep 6 '13 at 03:12
Blank
Alice
108 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Facebook Wall trademark, not being used anymore?

Profiles are called Timeline's and not Wall's anymore. So I was wondering, does that mean if Facebook is not using the "Wall" trademark anymore if they will lose the trademark eventually? Maybe new...

asked Aug 20 '13 at 09:32
Blank
Keverw
116 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Can a company claim infringement if someone copied their organizational scheme?

For example, if an Amazon competitor had the exact same product categories, or if a Craigslist competitor had the exact same categories...I'm mostly talking about how you categorize what you're...

asked Aug 20 '13 at 16:08
Blank
Aerovistae
115 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Is trademark necessary for my own site

If I want to make a site that will have a simple game (multiplayer online) based on an anime will I need a trademark? Or even some agreement from the anime creator or any other kind of permission?

asked Jul 18 '13 at 10:01
Blank
Igli Kadija
3 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
If someone has a very similar name, can I get a trademark?

I am developing a web site with an idea that it would be a networking platform for small companies. I have registered the name (Let's call it www.merchandiize.com for now...), however I have...

asked May 19 '13 at 00:40
Blank
Disconnect25
16 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.32K Views
Using another company's logo in my company's video - I don't seem to have a choice

So I am working on a start up company in the fitness sector. Besides a couple of other things we are making training videos for fitness instructors, to show them how to do the moves and such. Our...

asked Jun 3 '13 at 07:29
Blank
Olli
89 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Interpretation of phrase "X, namely Y" in trademark?

I have a question regarding how a certain aspect of trademarks should be interpreted in the general sense, but I'll provide some of the specifics of my situation as a concrete example. The General...

asked May 8 '13 at 07:54
Blank
rbwhitaker
3,455 points