Copyright Questions

0 Votes
0 Answers
Image license for logo

I bought a "royalty-free" license for an image on Dreamstime.com. They advertised it as royalty-free, and this implied that I could use it for anything. After I bought it, I found out that the...

asked Jun 22 '17 at 16:04
Blank
Paul Yang
1 point

2 Votes
1 Answers
Low cost way of filing a patent?

Is there an inexpensive way of filing a patent? We talked to a couple of lawyers and the cost to file a patent is hovering around the $20K range. Is that normal? It seemed absurd at first, until...

asked Jun 20 '14 at 14:42
Blank
Gary Russell
12 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.88K Views
When should I register / copyright my startup company / app?

I finished creating an app and am expecting a good amount of users after I start advertising it. I live in Canada but I have my green card and am eligible to live in the US at any time. I plan on...

asked Sep 25 '14 at 20:32
Blank
User34140
6 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
1.37K Views
What are the copyright implications of capturing a screen shot from a YouTube video and posting it on a blog?

I would like to take still shots from a YouTube video and post it on a blog with reviews or commentary. What are the copyright implications? I believe this is more than fair use, but what else is...

asked Jan 25 '15 at 21:37
Blank
Starrychloe S.
83 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
Copyrighting jokes?

I have an app that is essentially a game, but is based off different riddles. So the riddles are pretty much jokes with funny answers, and all are original. My questions is: is it possible to...

asked May 16 '11 at 01:28
Blank
Maq
197 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
What to do if a competitor copies your design?

We have a small B2B application and have poured a lot of energy and resources into designing a great user experience. Our closest competitor just "overhauled" their own UX and it's a blatant rip...

asked May 11 '14 at 18:25
Blank
Sheryl Garcia
2 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
Do web-builders reserve rights to websites?

I've been pondering over this one for quite a while now, and after doing some research, nothing appeared to come up. So, my questions is, when you use a website builder like webs, weebly, or other...

asked Dec 4 '13 at 13:23
Blank
Dylan Katz
10 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Should you file a patent before pitching your product to investors?

I have a unique product that has a verified market but no competitors right now offering anything similar. Should I spend time and money patenting my concept before launching and pitching to...

asked Mar 5 '14 at 07:50
Blank
Jon Noles
100 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
Going through University Intellectual property and office of Technology

I developed a software program that helped me perform my daily tasks at work and I am in the process of going through the Office of Technology/Intellectual property at the university I work for. I...

asked Nov 25 '13 at 06:22
Blank
Mike Diaz
106 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Can you market integration with Microsoft without paying any tribute?

Is it possible to start a business with a product who's sole purpose is integrating with Microsoft Office without paying Microsoft any tribute? Or would I have to be heavily involved with Microsoft...

asked Nov 26 '13 at 03:50
Blank

5 Votes
3 Answers
Can I copy from a few different terms of service pages from competitors?

I'm working with little funds so hiring a lawyer isn't an option. I'm starting a website like gazelle.com, nextworth.com, etc. and I was wondering if I can just use their concepts and piece...

asked Oct 30 '13 at 15:10
Blank
Colton
26 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
Using other brand's logos if I recognise the rightful owners?

I have an app that gives info and trivia facts about globally recognised brands, sports teams etc. If I want to use photos or logos that belong to these brands, can I use a disclaimer notice that...

asked Nov 5 '13 at 18:09
Blank
Keith
6 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
How to get license to create something based on others' product? (ex. movie)

I'm an indie game developer and I have a plan to create a video game that is based on the anime/manga story called One Piece. The business thing is very new to me, so I wonder how and who I...

asked Oct 19 '13 at 21:44
Blank
Assassinbeast
3 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
Collecting product pictures over internet, processing it and selling to eshops - legal?

Given that to be protected by copyright, a picture must be original/unique, I have read on the internet that the "product pictures" (of general use products like fridge, mobile phone etc.) are not...

asked Aug 29 '13 at 18:07
Blank
Data Smarter
1,274 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
Who owns computer code derived from trade secrets?

We had a software engineer who joined our startup for two months. We only signed an NDA with him. The engineer was supposed to get equity but our negotiations broke down and we parted ways. During...

asked Sep 4 '13 at 23:36
Blank
Karl
16 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Can a company claim infringement if someone copied their organizational scheme?

For example, if an Amazon competitor had the exact same product categories, or if a Craigslist competitor had the exact same categories...I'm mostly talking about how you categorize what you're...

asked Aug 20 '13 at 16:08
Blank
Aerovistae
115 points

8 Votes
5 Answers
1.03K Views
A Project Completed At Home - My Employer Wants Rights To The System

I currently work within a call centre as a manager and I have a lot of admin work to complete. During my own time, at home, on my own PC I started developing a system/tool via Excel that would...

1 Votes
1 Answers
Is there any way to protect a gamification/human-computing application/service (like reCaptcha) from being copied?

I have an idea for a gamification/human-computing application/service which can be used to solve an AI-hard problem more efficiently, like reCaptcha. I can build and promote it, but I'm worried...

asked Jul 26 '13 at 22:06
Blank
User27171
6 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
1.91K Views
Copyright and Ownership of Code in a Tech Startup

I am currently involved in a Canadian tech startup, and as I am about to enter equity negotiations, I would like to clarify the ownership and copyright of the code base, to better understand the...

asked Jul 8 '13 at 08:55
Blank
Chris
6 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
Can I use Indian Universities and Colleges Trademarks/Logos on my website without their permission?

I have created a website of education and career and I want to list universities/colleges/institute on my website with their logos or trademarks. Can I use their Trademarks/Logos on my website...

asked Jun 8 '13 at 17:05
Blank
User26569
1 point