Sole Proprietorship Questions

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.49K Views
Do I need an LLC or can I start as sole proprietorship?

I want to start a business with no employee or brick and mortar, nor offices, just online e-commerce for products i design, but my first 6 -12 months will be just dedicated to prototyping and...

asked Jan 18 '17 at 18:01
Blank
Francesco Bertelli
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.86K Views
When should I register / copyright my startup company / app?

I finished creating an app and am expecting a good amount of users after I start advertising it. I live in Canada but I have my green card and am eligible to live in the US at any time. I plan on...

asked Sep 25 '14 at 20:32
Blank
User34140
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.42K Views
Self-employed, no completed projects yet: can I write my laptop off my taxes?

I've recently started working on a couple of software projects that I hope will generate income in 2014. I eventually want to form an LLC, but I'll probably end up doing that closer to completion...

asked Dec 10 '13 at 19:30
Blank
Archagon
111 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.13K Views
Do subscription websites require a DBA?

I have a content website I will begin charging a monthly subscription fee for soon. The receipt the members receive each month will have the website's name on it, my name is not in the website name...

asked Oct 9 '13 at 23:09
Blank
Chad
108 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.28K Views
I'm a sole proprietorship investing 30k pre-tax money in a new small business

I am investing 30k in a new business with pre-tax money I made this tax year by way of my sole proprietorship. I'm I able to write this off somehow, besides the 10k for start-ups?? If not I was...

asked Sep 1 '13 at 16:28
Blank
Mike C.
16 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.72K Views
Fairly Sharing Proprietorship of Software Product

I am currently working as a Software Developer with a company. As well, I provide solutions also to some clients part time. Recently I got an inquiry for a software product. I believe that the...

asked Apr 17 '13 at 01:42
Blank
Rumit Parakhiya
110 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
14.3K Views
TIN to use on W9 when Single Member LLC/Disregarded entity

I own a state-classified LLC company and also have an EIN for the business, which was filed on an SS-4 form (Rev. December 2001) as a Type "Other" and noted "disregarded entity". On the SS-4 form...

asked Feb 27 '13 at 12:30
Blank
User1322092
11 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.01K Views
Most Appropriate Business Type for Selling a Virtual Product?

I run a business where sells certain ebooks and pdfs online. I want to form an official business entity just to be able to operate under that name, protect myself from liability as well as get any...

asked Dec 30 '12 at 14:47
Blank
Clifgray
200 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.08K Views
Accounting method for software business

I'm nearly complete and preparing to launch my business. However, I've noticed that taxes aren't as simple as everyone makes them out to be. I'm mostly confused about cash vs accrual accounting for...

asked Dec 17 '12 at 16:00
Blank
Asdaf3wq
18 points

-1 Votes
1 Answers
1.77K Views
Business Entity for Partnership question, or Unincorporated Business?

I'm planning on registering for a reseller's permit and it's telling me to register for a business entity. Currently I have a friend who wants to start something with me. Is it a good idea to do...

asked Dec 27 '12 at 08:54
Blank
Andrewliu
101 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.15K Views
Online sales and startup

What is the best way to go about getting more profit and paying less tax when it comes to selling something strictly online? Say I have a dual citizenship, to Canada and Mexico. And I do all my...

asked Oct 22 '12 at 15:49
Blank
Bazzi
16 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.96K Views
Startup capital and taxes

I'm finishing up a successful KickStarter campaign. The approximately $8000 is going to be used as capital for my software startup. I'm currently structured as a sole proprietorship, so the $8000...

asked Sep 21 '12 at 02:28
Blank
Joe
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.04K Views
Do home office, internet, computer usage etc count in tax deduction?

I am a sole Proprietorship in California. Where can I find a list of acceptable or not acceptable business expenses I am allowed to deduct from my income. Do I need to reimburse myself in anyway...

asked Sep 1 '12 at 22:13
Blank
Marco
130 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.45K Views
When should I move from Sole Proprietorship to LLC?

As of right now, expenses are close to zero, and income is equal to zero. Risk of law suits is also very low. At what point should I move over to LLC? When the expenses, income or risk of...

asked Aug 11 '12 at 10:22
Blank
Brentonstrine
108 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.62K Views
I'm an English man living in Germany, where should I register my business?

I suppose this question would be useful to anyone who is natively from one country but living in another setting up a business. I'm an English man currently with a business bank account and sole...

asked May 25 '12 at 17:59
Blank
Littlejim84
141 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.14K Views
Freelancing Websites - Do I have to form an LLC (Massachusetts)?

Would I have to form an LLC to do freelance logo design and web design and development through sites like Guru and Elance? This business doesn't sound very risky so could I get away with forming a...

asked May 22 '12 at 01:39
Blank
Nickelpickle
55 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.3K Views
Registering a company in India with multiple activities

I am from Chennai, India. I'm planning to start a few different websites in sectors like recruitment, social networking, health care, IT solutions, matrimony, real estate, promotion of products,...

asked Feb 8 '12 at 07:01
Blank
Radha
1 point

0 Votes
2 Answers
12K Views
I opened a business checking account last year using my SSN. If I get a federal EIN, can my bank update this or do I need to open a new account?

I opened a business checking account last year using my SSN. If I get a federal EIN, can my bank update this or do I need to open a new account? Basically, at the time I opened the checking...

asked Jan 16 '12 at 06:05
Blank
James Mortensen
363 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.39K Views
Authorizing family to purchase supplies for my sole-proprietorship

I've registered myself as a sole-proprietor business in Ontario, Canada. My common-law partner often helps me with organization and other tasks. I want her to be legally able to purchase supplies...

asked Nov 17 '11 at 05:03
Blank
Philip K
166 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.37K Views
Do you pay self-employment taxes as an S-Corp?

I worked as a consultent for a number of years, just doing regular old programming gigs. While I was doing this I did my taxes as a sole-proprietorship. I had to pay marginal tax and...

asked Sep 20 '11 at 05:16
Blank
Edgar Miranda
230 points