Business Questions

Increase your odds of business success: start with good people, make something customers actually want, and spend as little money as possible.

2 Votes
2 Answers
6.22K Views
Biotech startup: How do I split up the roles/responsibilities of three founders?

I am creating a medical device startup and I have some issues determining how to split up the various roles and responsibilities of founders, among other problems. My brother, a friend/partner, and...

asked Apr 20 '11 at 06:32
Blank
Jry223
11 points

27 Votes
11 Answers
9.24K Views
Hourly rate - client wants invoices from other companies to prove my rate

I am being asked by a client to provide invoices from other clients showing that I was paid the hourly rate that I want to charge them. In other words, Client A wants to see my invoices to Client B...

asked Mar 26 '11 at 02:38
Blank
Bob Baddeley
238 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.47K Views
questions about DBA and other forms required to start business

I'm starting a small business (just me, no employees) doing graphics that can be purchased digitally and/or the originals mailed, as well as live graphic recording and graphic facilitation, and...

asked Oct 13 '12 at 13:18
Blank
Justwanttogetstarted
16 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
6.46K Views
Websites for helping choose a company name?

I found this very cool site that I thought I'd share with the community (I'm not affiliated with them)! http://www.panabee.com/ It helps you word play and create fun domain names... but it hasn't...

asked May 3 '11 at 09:18
Blank
Agile Scout
113 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
6.87K Views
Someone wants to invest in my project

Someone wants to invest in my idea. I'm building this project and it's a very good idea. I'm thinking about starting my own company for this project. This person heard about my idea and he is very...

asked Mar 20 '11 at 10:46
Blank
Luka
8 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
11.9K Views
Startup Marketing - Commission Based?

I own a computer repair business where all work is done remotely over the internet (serving throughout the US). I started this business on a shoestring budget and I'm trying to do my best at...

asked Jul 16 '11 at 00:47
Blank
James
133 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
6.12K Views
How would you start finding business ideas? ("pain" that businesses or customers experience)?

This is for someone who is perfectly positioned to start a business (IT graduate, no expenses, saving all of his money, living at home and unchallenged at work). BUT.... he doesn't have any...

asked Mar 31 '14 at 15:30
Blank
Clay Nichols
737 points

16 Votes
6 Answers
8.48K Views
Have the ideas, found the niche...what to do first?

I have found two completely seaprate niches, and identified the target markets for them both. I have comprehensive ideas and details on how the applications should work. I have a developer that I...

asked May 19 '10 at 08:00
Blank
Kerry
113 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.62K Views
Is this a good idea: a site that ousts bad business practices?

There are a lot of companies whose bad business practices get ousted but don't reach mainstream press. And consumers are the ones that get the short end of the stick.Would it be a good idea to...

asked Jul 8 '14 at 01:29
Blank
Fletcher Bolt
2 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.03K Views
Should you create a standardized recruitment process for a new startup?

I'm the business co-founder in our startup and creating processes to keep things running smoothly and being able to focus on sales.Should startups have a process in the place for hiring? If so,...

asked Jul 21 '14 at 15:03
Blank
Ralph Setzer
9 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.85K Views
Outreach to potential customers in order to pitch consulting services?

I'm just getting started with a consulting business and don't have any clients or personal network I can tap into to get the ball rolling.Is it ok to cold-reach potential customers that fit my...

asked Sep 18 '14 at 21:44
Blank
Lorenzo Washington
1 point

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.44K Views
What are some recession proof business on the web?

Offline there are tons of local businesses which are known to be recession proof (ex: laundromats). What are some web equivalent verticals that would qualify?

asked May 19 '15 at 22:25
Blank
Britt Aaron
12 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3.54K Views

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.98K Views
Does age matter in leading a company?

I was thinking to start something of my own. Sometimes, I feel I am too young to get all this started. I think I need to be more experienced. Any suggestion guys, what should I do? I know this is...

asked Nov 10 '13 at 05:34
Blank
Habi
111 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.58K Views
bootstrapped startup needs to be creative about "enaging" with out of house expertise

Fanciful title really translates in simple English as this: We are (read I am ) a bootstrapped, cash strapped startup and I need to employ the services of outsite experts but want to a). minimise...

asked Jul 19 '11 at 21:09
Blank
Voidstar
55 points

5 Votes
1 Answers
2.88K Views
How a company that uses a website like groupon calculates the minimum items they need to sell?

I have the intention of giving a try at one of those group buy like businesses that you can get prepared for you and start selling in your neighborhood or village. I understand, how the hold idea...

asked May 13 '11 at 19:44
Blank
Sfrj
205 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.84K Views
How to fund a hardware business which requires a lot of capital just to start?

Apart from crowdfunding, how can someone build a wearable tech product business which requires at least $500K just to start? Are there any government grants available here in the US?

asked May 29 '14 at 17:10
Blank
Kevin Bower
9 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
2.85K Views
Should you charge before building an enterprise product with a client?

Have an idea for a claims management application. I got one company who is in the selection process amongst other such software but they want to work with me to build something from ground up. I...

asked May 11 '14 at 18:59
Blank
Jo K
11 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
12.5K Views
How much equity should I give up to the app developers?

I am in the process of designing a mobile app and i'm at the stage where I need to finalise the cost with the developers. They have sent me a quote which I believe to be quite high, however they...

asked Mar 11 '13 at 09:56
Blank
Jack
8 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.35K Views
If you're just starting, which is most important to learn to become a tech entrepreneur: coding, design, or sales?

If you come from a completely different background and just starting to venture into starting your own tech company, which skill would you learn first?Programming, web design, or sales?

asked Mar 7 '14 at 18:25
Blank
Sarah Guzman
160 points