Business Questions

Increase your odds of business success: start with good people, make something customers actually want, and spend as little money as possible.

2 Votes
4 Answers
5.99K Views
Do you believe in Blue Ocean Strategy?

Blue Ocean Strategy is a business methodology that says: instead of competing in a market with existing competitors (red oceans), why not create your own market (blue ocean) and dominate it? Here...

asked May 13 '10 at 03:44
Blank
Mark Bao
604 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
2.57K Views
Business Owner Validation

If I were to start a business listing, and I want business owners to be able to signup for the service and edit/update their listing, what's the best way to validate that a person that calls is...

asked Apr 10 '10 at 00:48
Blank
Brian Wigginton
166 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.98K Views
Once BizSpark ends and I'm not making much money with my startup, is there a low cost solution to still get the software?

Once the BizSpark program ends for me is there a low cost solution for getting access to tools like Visual Studio? I've seen before people talk about $300 or $400 annual subscriptions but I wasn't...

asked Apr 12 '10 at 02:15
Blank
Paul Mendoza
121 points

6 Votes
6 Answers
3.2K Views
Changing my name for business

I need your opinion on this: I'm from Europe but live in US for years. My name is a very difficult to pronounce here in US . Something like Timoleon Karaxtzidakis. I'm starting an online business...

asked Apr 14 '10 at 00:45
Blank
Tim Kara
98 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
4.15K Views
Separate Banking for Personal and Business

Are there any advantages to banking at different institutions for your personal and business accounts? If so, what's your strategy? Are there any disadvantages? I was initially thinking along the...

asked Mar 12 '10 at 19:23
Blank
Clint
695 points

6 Votes
9 Answers
3.48K Views
How do you know if you have what it takes to be an entrepreneur?

Many professionals want to start their own venture but are scared of failing. Many of them do not know if they have a multi-faceted personality that is needed to run a business successfully. How...

asked Mar 19 '10 at 02:48
Blank
Joydeep
185 points

8 Votes
2 Answers
3.69K Views
Books / Advice on running an outsource software development shop?

So there's tons of documentation and books on project management, agile development, how to manage outsourcing projects, how to send our project offshore, etc... But I'm on the other side, I'm...

asked Feb 26 '10 at 03:05
Blank
Rabble
141 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.49K Views
Thoughts/Opinions on business naming?

Just curious how people feel about business names. Do you think the name of a company composed of the last names of the owners is "old fashion" (i.e Brown-Smith Web Services, Johnson-Nixon I.T....

asked Mar 6 '10 at 04:22
Blank
Big Tuna
349 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.81K Views
What's a great business development / licensing pitch outline?

So you are about to start contacting companies about licensing your product/technology. What would be the general elements of the presentation deck? I know what I've done in the past but am...

asked Feb 9 '10 at 07:03
Blank
Chris
4,214 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.51K Views
Bootstrapped Startup - What Legal Forms to Put In place

I am looking for a co-founder now for a project that would love to get up and running. As an initial formality are there any documents out there that can outline in basic terms what each person is...

asked Feb 17 '10 at 15:56
Blank
Aaron
124 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.67K Views
Looking for Guidance in running business development arm of a startup

I'm looking to join a very small company (5 employees) and run all of business development/sales and marketing. My professional experience lies in 8 years of Sales in the online media and...

asked Feb 18 '10 at 10:35
Blank
Danny
113 points

6 Votes
6 Answers
3.35K Views
Inexpensive or Free Tools to Organize Your Contacts

I am getting lots of contacts (Law/Accounting/etc). And trying to find a good tool to keep all the phones/emails/notes together. Ideally, not just text, but something smarter. So it can show me...

asked Jan 22 '10 at 23:08
Blank
Murkin
184 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.9K Views
Brainstorming the idea of Strategic Alliances

I'm reflecting on the ideas of businesses partnering with other businesses who are targeting the same audience. The idea would be to "partner together" and help promote one another. eg. Business...

asked Jan 27 '10 at 06:15
Blank
Matt
460 points

8 Votes
13 Answers
3.94K Views
Argh! Not knowing how to program holds me back

I have experience in running a business, in marketing, research, strategy, customer service, business development, and I have some very important ideas that I want to transform into businesses....

asked Jan 28 '10 at 20:31
Blank
Kulpreet Singh
56 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
3.44K Views
Should a slogan imply my target market?

I was thinking of including the word "business" in a slogan for a new service but I was wrestling whether or not this is really necessary. I say business because that's the target market I'd like...

asked Feb 2 '10 at 17:47
Blank
Matt
460 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
5.63K Views
The Return Policy for Handmade Craft

I am interested to open an online shop for selling handmade craft ( something like those displayed on etsy ), but I afraid that there is a tendency for buyers to return and refund goods at will...

asked Jan 11 '10 at 19:27
Blank
Graviton
871 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
3.78K Views
Importance of Competitive Advantage in Tech Companies

I've always been taught to have a competitive advantage. What makes my company special, different, better, etc. What prevents someone from doing what making something that mimics my business. Well,...

asked Jan 12 '10 at 09:42
Blank
Matt
460 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.2K Views
How Do You Work Out Postal Charge?

If you are selling physical goods, you have to factor in postage charge in your product price calculation. What are the formula one can use to calculate the postage charge?

asked Jan 12 '10 at 19:55
Blank
Graviton
871 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.19K Views
uISV in components business? Is it any good?

I was wondering how good is selling components (.NET, ...) for uISV compared to selling program(s). When I look at the prices of components compared with prices of programs we sell ... Than again...

asked Jan 12 '10 at 22:27
Blank
Spiro
105 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
5.22K Views
Why do recruitment websites charge companies(recruiters)? Is it feasible if a recruitment website provides free service for both recruiters and job-seekers?

Is it feasible if a recruitment website provides free service for both recruiters and job-seekers?

asked Jan 16 '10 at 11:53
Blank
Steven
1 point