Business Questions

Increase your odds of business success: start with good people, make something customers actually want, and spend as little money as possible.

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.76K Views
VCs and vertical markets

I'm noticing a trend where VCs try to stay away from vertical markets. Is it true or is it my skewed experienced? How does one go about finding potential investors for a vertical market business?

asked Dec 15 '10 at 12:22
Blank
Usabilitest
1,698 points

8 Votes
9 Answers
8.06K Views
How did you come up with your business idea?

For those of you who have successful businesses, how did you come up with your business idea? I'm trying to think of a business idea but none of the ideas I've come up with so far (currently about...

asked Nov 23 '10 at 01:23
Blank
Jason Swett
555 points

15 Votes
25 Answers
5.37K Views
What's the best business book you have ever read?

I need inspirational and pragmatic business books.

asked Nov 25 '10 at 15:19
Blank
Steven
1 point

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.59K Views
How sites like formspring can earn money

I want to make a new site like formspring, but different idea . I didn't see any Ads or any advertising methods in these site . How they can they earn money from the site . What's the best...

asked Nov 26 '10 at 20:13
Blank
Maged
108 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.41K Views
Finding internet-volunteers from Japan (or a certain country)

Thank you for reading my question. I want to address following issue: I want to start a commercial website that needs some information from Japan. Since I'm in the very beginning position of...

asked Nov 7 '10 at 20:19
Blank
Herr K
292 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.12K Views
Where should one register a company?

I'm not a US citizen but planning to start an international business. So I'm wondering if there's a benefit/profit/perspective of registering a company in a different country than mine, like US,...

asked Nov 10 '10 at 18:55
Blank
Denys S.
166 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.19K Views
In need of strategic advice

Some days I feel that I need someone experienced to have a top-level discussion of my next business steps. I don't necessarily feel that approaching investors is the right move for that -- I'm not...

asked Nov 11 '10 at 12:28
Blank
Usabilitest
1,698 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.27K Views
Does "marketplace" business have a bad rep?

I noticed that talking to people about so called "marketplace" business (bringing together different groups with complementing needs) ideas gets a lot of people excited, but it seem to quickly turn...

asked Nov 11 '10 at 15:59
Blank
Usabilitest
1,698 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.58K Views
How to get started in business

With everything I've ever learned, I've had to learn to walk before I could run. Examples: Skiing: I had to be able to go down the bunny hill before I could do a black diamond. Computer...

asked Nov 13 '10 at 02:58
Blank
Jason Swett
555 points

6 Votes
5 Answers
2.76K Views
How to find a business partner

Does anyone have any general advice on finding a business partner? I want to find a like-minded person to start a business with. I'm done with school, I don't know a lot of people, and I don't live...

asked Nov 19 '10 at 05:55
Blank
Jason Swett
555 points

18 Votes
11 Answers
7.6K Views
Should I continue with my idea (another startup is already doing it)?

Recently I had this idea about a website and I have a passion for it. After doing a lot of research, I know exactly what I need (design, developers, management, etc.) and I have had a few...

asked Nov 1 '10 at 12:45
Blank
Cluelessbear
96 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.82K Views
How to know if I will need a dedicated server?

I am currently building my business on a shared hosting account with a reliable host(hostgator). When my site goes live, what should I look for that would be an indication that I should switch to a...

asked Nov 6 '10 at 01:14
Blank
Sk24iam
344 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.98K Views
How to approach retailer to arrange onselling agreement

In our local area there are certain products that are sold at a much higher premium by large big brand retail stores and they move a lot of this product. There are smaller established stores who...

asked Oct 20 '10 at 09:07
Blank
Xiaohouzi79
1,257 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.31K Views
What do you use/do to stay in touch with business partners that are in a different geographical location?

I'm looking for a good way to stay in touch with the hosts of my Momtrepreneur Exchanges around the country. There's a host in each of our 23 cities so far. It's a pile of people in different time...

asked Oct 22 '10 at 02:53
Blank
Jill
26 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
3.17K Views
Becoming a freelancer: where to start? (Taxes, registration, income/expenses...)

Not sure if this is the right site for freelancers, but becoming a freelancer is kinda a one-man start-up. Anyway, my question would be, where to start. I only have a technical education and I...

asked Sep 27 '10 at 07:47
Blank
Znq
164 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
3.1K Views
Umbrella Company

My dad also loved the business plan I had. He has his own company (which is not even close to what I am doing). He registered it as a sole proprietorship. He is an engineer so thats his company. He...

asked Aug 28 '10 at 10:27
Blank
Bhargav Patel
784 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.45K Views
Book keeping - accounting question

Example You are a Service business, your customer pays you $100 for "Service X" via credit card. You charge the customer an additional 2% of total sale for paying via Creditcard. Hence the total...

asked Sep 17 '10 at 23:51
Blank
167 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.58K Views
The business of free

This is a question there in mind for long time. There are hundreds of free services in web which doesn't have any ads or anything. It's totally free. Angels are raising fund these company and...

asked Sep 23 '10 at 10:08
Blank
Sarat
134 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
3.52K Views
What mistakes did you make when you started your first business?

Could you share your story?

asked Jul 13 '10 at 15:17
Blank
Jack
116 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.28K Views
What is the best way to present our business plan to potential investors or to a bank?

We have an excellent Business Plan, for some fantastic mobile ideas. The down side, we need funding to get these ideas developed and to market. What is the best way to meet with potential...

asked Jul 21 '10 at 11:31
Blank
Gulu Apps
41 points