Business Questions

Increase your odds of business success: start with good people, make something customers actually want, and spend as little money as possible.

4 Votes
5 Answers
3.87K Views
Most important skill a businessman should have

What is the most important skill one should have when starting up or running a business? is it financial handling?

asked Apr 24 '11 at 13:27
Blank
Pathum Mudannayake
178 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.52K Views
Looking for full-service high-end Virtual Assistant Company

I'm looking for Virtual Assistance. However rather than an individual who can do low-level personal tasks like find a present for my wife, I'm looking for a full-service company that can do a wide...

asked Apr 13 '11 at 08:42
Blank
Nicholas
106 points

9 Votes
3 Answers
2.66K Views
How long was it before you started generating revenue?

For a software business, how long did it take to get: Your first $1 in revenue? Your first $100 in revenue? Your first $10,000 in revenue? Your first $100,000 in revenue? Intent Hopefully we can...

asked Apr 14 '11 at 14:16
Blank
Clinton
101 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.51K Views
Can you really outsource marketing of a high tech company?

How do you overcome the marketers not understanding what it is you do? In my case making the rash assumption they are selling "some IT services". After 3 months I couldn't get through that we...

asked Apr 1 '11 at 14:44
Blank
Robin Vessey
8,394 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.91K Views
Using Dubai as a tax haven

I am British and want to startup my company in Dubai. What kind of issues will I run into if I want to use the money in UK, USA or anywhere else in the world?

asked Apr 4 '11 at 23:26
Blank
Oshirowanen
201 points

6 Votes
9 Answers
4.44K Views
Do you think Groupon business model is sustainable?

Considering people unsubscribe (I think so; I would be happy to see both information regarding that) email lists from Groupon (and other daily city deal sites), do you think paying thousands for...

asked Apr 6 '11 at 13:47
Blank
To Rr0t
69 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.18K Views
Writing a Disclaimer

I'm seeking advice in how to go about writing a disclaimer for a software service I'm developing. The software program is to record client medical treatment forms. I basically want to say...

asked Mar 27 '11 at 11:44
Blank
Emmanuel
118 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.33K Views
Can I copyright or otherwise protect a business vision/strategy?

I am involved as a cofounder in a tech/software company. My associate is bringing initial funding and is conversant with finance/accounting, facilities/infrastructure and general organizational...

asked Mar 3 '11 at 12:41
Blank
Aaron Smothers
56 points

7 Votes
5 Answers
5.68K Views
What advantages does price discrimination have over the using the same price for everyone?

I'm trying to decide whether to change my pricing scheme from 'the same price for everyone' to 'a different price depending on which customer you are' (price discrimination / price...

asked Mar 4 '11 at 20:13
Blank
Steven
1 point

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.46K Views
What's the best book on pricing you've ever read?

What's the best book you've ever read on pricing?

asked Mar 6 '11 at 00:58
Blank
Steven
1 point

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.61K Views
In a standard business plan, how do you cite statistics when describing your market?

I am in the process of writing up my business plan for my startup. When describing your market, do you use statistics? If so, how do you cite those statistics?

asked Mar 9 '11 at 08:50
Blank
Li Zhou
323 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.63K Views
Benefits and risks of taking your company internationally

I’m in the early planning phase of a funding round for a startup in NYC as a second office for a software company that is headquartered in Germany (ca. 50 employees). For a presentation I’m trying...

asked Feb 28 '11 at 23:37
Blank
Martin Buberl
181 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.35K Views
Do you feel anxious when you don't receive any inquiry from prospective clients for consecutive days?

What do you do when you don't receive any inquiries from potential clients for consecutive days?

asked Mar 1 '11 at 23:49
Blank
Steven
1 point

6 Votes
2 Answers
4.07K Views
Can I start a business in USA and work from my country?

Can I incorporate a business in USA and work from my country? Can I receive profit from my corp even when I'm not an employee, only director? I have a b1b2 visa. Is this enough to manage a business...

asked Feb 8 '11 at 20:30
Blank
Alejandro
48 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
1.86K Views
Where to start when setting up a business?

I am a developer with some great ideas and hopefully will be able to execute on those ideas well. I admit though that i am totally lost when it comes to starting a business, papers to be filed, tax...

asked Feb 9 '11 at 12:21
Blank
Binary X
208 points

1 Votes
7 Answers
2.77K Views
Why isn't there a culture of paying for software frameworks?

Note: Cross-posted at programmers.stackexchange.com One of the side effects of the recent trend of "Lean" startups, and the app store era, is that consumers are more acclimatised to paying small...

asked Feb 13 '11 at 01:40
Blank
Marty Pitt
171 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
4.77K Views
Can I use a UPS Store for mailing address and for service of process address?

I am starting an online company and for various reasons want it to be located in one city (in another state) that I visit frequently. I actually do much of the work for the company in that city,...

asked Feb 15 '11 at 22:21
Blank
User6492
1,747 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.19K Views
How do you give value to your customers when you're not an expert in their field?

I'm reading Jeffrey Gitomer's The Little Red Book of Selling. One of its ideas is "give value first": tell people how they can improve their businesses and increase their profits and they'll want...

asked Jan 27 '11 at 06:59
Blank
Jason Swett
555 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.05K Views
Incorporated or Corporation in company name

My undersntanding is that there is no legal difference between naming my S Corporation MyCompanyName Incorporated vs MyCompanyName Corporation. However, are there any preferences on which one to...

asked Jan 28 '11 at 18:40
Blank
Tauren
240 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.78K Views
Where can you find the most comprehensive excel Accounting P&L case for a startup business?

Where can you find the most comprehensive excel business case for startups? This questions is more specific than what it looks. I have been looking for a detail business case excel template for a...

asked Jan 30 '11 at 07:50
Blank
Geo
268 points