Canada Questions

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.95K Views
In Canada with a Client from USA

I'm located in Ontario, Canada. I'm in talks with a company in the United States to do a software contract. We met here in Canada. I'm wondering what the tax and regulations of such a contract...

asked Sep 12 '13 at 06:12
Blank
Philip K
166 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
5.86K Views
Copyright and Ownership of Code in a Tech Startup

I am currently involved in a Canadian tech startup, and as I am about to enter equity negotiations, I would like to clarify the ownership and copyright of the code base, to better understand the...

asked Jul 8 '13 at 08:55
Blank
Chris
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.92K Views
Turning a hackathon organization into a registered entity

I'm organizing a hackathon this summer and my team and I have had a lot of fun bootstrapping the whole process. In fact, we enjoyed it so much that we tossed around the idea of making the...

asked Jul 19 '13 at 08:01
Blank
Max Mackie
166 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.1K Views
Setting up daughter companies?

I have a federally incorporated company, lets call it Company INC, and a bank account for it. The company activity is listed as a technology company, but I want to branch out and do some more...

asked Apr 6 '13 at 07:08
Blank
Stan Trying A Startup
108 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
3K Views
Co-Founder of Company wants to quit

I have a unique problem that I was hoping to get some clarity on. The Co-Founder of our business (in Canada) wants to end the business and get out. The company has been operating for 3 years and...

asked Mar 31 '13 at 15:21
Blank
Ben
23 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.84K Views
Can I form a partnership if one of the partners is out-of-country?

I am a Canadian software developer who is currently harbouring an open-source project that I am currently working on with one other person, who lives in Chile. Eventually I want to turn the...

asked Mar 15 '13 at 00:15
Blank
Joe Z.
116 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.63K Views
Will I REALLY save on taxes by incorporating offshore?

I'm about to launch a product and need to register a company (in order to handle payments for my product, and get a merchant account). I'll give specific information on my own situation below, but...

asked Jan 6 '13 at 00:25
Blank
Nick Budden
129 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.07K Views
Guideline for self-filing a provisional patent application

I'm looking to file a provisional patent application in Canada and the US. From what I've been told, the process is not easily out-sourceable, and I'm on a shoestring startup budget. I would like...

asked Oct 19 '12 at 01:59
Blank
Blueberryfields
426 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.06K Views
Canadian patent law and "filing date" - what exactly is the benefit of having a "priority date"?

According to the Canadian patent info site, here, a patent application can claim a priority date of a previous patent, filed in Canada or in a country with an appropriate treaty, as long as the...

asked Oct 19 '12 at 03:07
Blank
Blueberryfields
426 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.19K Views
are there tax benefit considerations when choosing a fiscal year end for a canadian corporation?

For a canadian corporation, is there any tax considerations for choosing a specific date for the fiscal year end? (for example, is it different to end the year in April vs December in terms of tax...

asked Oct 24 '12 at 06:58
Blank
Dave
8 points

-3 Votes
2 Answers
2.09K Views
Does it matter if a online business is registered or not?

I was wondering about having my online business registered in Canada. My biggest concern about having my business registered is does the governments rules really matter when it comes to online...

asked Jul 31 '12 at 16:33
Blank
Ub3rst4r
103 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.93K Views
Starting up a company in the U.S. and Canada?

I am a U.S. citizen working in Canada on a work visa. A small team and I have been working on a startup in our free time up here in the great north, so we're primarily based out of Canada. However,...

asked Mar 26 '12 at 11:19
Blank
Marisa Bernstein
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.27K Views
Setting up a small business in United States with Canadian citizenship?

Where can I find more information on setting up a small business in USA as a Canadian citizen? I need to incorporate in the USA, would this automatically allow me to work in USA? Or does there need...

asked Mar 24 '12 at 15:53
Blank
Kim Jong Woo
644 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.5K Views
Does using Fulfilment by Amazon in a different country makes you liable to charge local sales tax in the country?

My business is in Canada. I sell goods online that I ship by mail. I would like to use a fulfilment center in the UK to lower the cost of shopping for my european sales. Do I become liable for...

asked Jan 1 '12 at 19:29
Blank
Alexandre H. Tremblay
186 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.76K Views
Suggest best way to process payments?

We are from NJ. Our start up consists of 2 people. Previously, all of our clients were through our contacts, so we just accepted cheques for payment and deposited them in our Bank of America small...

asked Dec 18 '11 at 11:25
Blank
Varchar1
33 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.36K Views
We are an LLC from NJ, can we hire this guy from Canada, who is a temporary resident?

We are a small software based start up in NJ, we recently got a couple of projects from Canada and we're loving them. We came across this guy in Canada, he is very talented and we think he will...

asked Dec 5 '11 at 08:02
Blank
Varchar1
33 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.39K Views
Authorizing family to purchase supplies for my sole-proprietorship

I've registered myself as a sole-proprietor business in Ontario, Canada. My common-law partner often helps me with organization and other tasks. I want her to be legally able to purchase supplies...

asked Nov 17 '11 at 05:03
Blank
Philip K
166 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.08K Views
Want to get into Android app development, but have questions about the buisiness side of doing so

So I'm a CompSci student going into my second year of university in Montreal, Quebec at Concordia and I've been planing on getting started with Android development. I'll be getting myself a Samsung...

asked Aug 31 '11 at 09:49
Blank
Portaljacker
106 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
3.35K Views
Resources for young entrepreneurs in Toronto

I'm going to be finishing my master's degree in computer science soon, and am interested in pursuing entrepreneurship. I'm currently based in Montreal, but for personal reasons, am considering...

asked Jul 10 '11 at 12:29
Blank
Jbeard4
121 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.2K Views
Can a business registered/incorporated in one province do business in another province?

I've been getting conflicting advice about this, and figure if there's a spot that would know the answer one way or the other, it's onstartups.com In a nutshell I'm trying to find out if I have to...

asked Jun 13 '11 at 11:51
Blank
Canadiancreed
136 points