Non Profit Questions

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.09K Views
Attracting non-profits to use our SaaS app?

We're planning to launch our app and want to give it away for free to non-profits so that: We're giving something back to the world. We could potentially get paid clients through them via word of...

asked Mar 14 '14 at 11:21
Blank
Claire Riggio
40 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
4.1K Views
Projects you did for fun (without intention of making money), but ended up being widely profitable?

What are some projects you started without the intention of every making any money from them, only to end up generating decent revenue from it?Any examples from your personal experience or other...

asked Mar 11 '14 at 12:24
Blank
Lawrence Hintz
35 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.16K Views
How can nonprofit startups raise capital?

Investors invest for one thing and one thing only, return on their investment. How can a nonprofit startup that is trying to give back to the community raise any funds? All existing funding...

asked Feb 6 '14 at 20:19
Blank
Sondra
11 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.75K Views
Can a long standing NPO get start up funds to extend the program?

I have a nonprofit organization (NPO) that serves children and was founded in 1992. I have a second location now and want to build a new arm to the program. Can I get startup funds to extend my NPO...

asked Aug 22 '13 at 01:54
Blank
Jackie
4 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.23K Views
Crowdfunding a volunteer's prize for a non-profit startup

In order to float this particular startup, I need a prize mechanism that can: 1) take money from a crowdfunder like Kickstarter; 2) select a winning volunteer based on the funders' votes; and 3)...

asked Aug 11 '13 at 15:08
Blank
Michael Allan
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.92K Views
Turning a hackathon organization into a registered entity

I'm organizing a hackathon this summer and my team and I have had a lot of fun bootstrapping the whole process. In fact, we enjoyed it so much that we tossed around the idea of making the...

asked Jul 19 '13 at 08:01
Blank
Max Mackie
166 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.22K Views
Is it possible to change the responsible party information on the EIN?

I am starting a nonprofit (military family readiness group) that will have completely new board members every 2 years, if not sooner. In other words, I will have nothing to do with this...

asked May 30 '13 at 16:43
Blank
Jessica
1 point

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.67K Views
Transition from volunteering to get employed in own nonprofit organization?

I plan to start nonprofit 501c3 that will help other nonprofits with their social media pages (Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc.) Right now I'm employed by company in similar field. There is no...

asked Mar 16 '13 at 14:52
Blank
User25499
11 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
2.65K Views
Is it possible to get funding to buy a Canadian non-profit company and turn it for-profit

I'm going to be vague and have used a new anonymous account to hide my identity because I don't want the other parties involved to know about my question. I'm a developer who has been working on...

asked Oct 23 '12 at 05:23
Blank
Justgottaknow
9 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.77K Views
What ideas are better left for non-profit?

I have recently been working on a site which showcases open source projects. My partner and I have discussed business plans (with premium services and whatnot), but finally decided to keep the...

asked May 1 '12 at 06:11
Blank
Lance Lafontaine
190 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.84K Views
What is the definition of a non-profit startup?

I have seen some entrepreneurs use the term non-profit startup. What exactly is a non-profit startup?

asked Feb 15 '12 at 04:57
Blank
Tehnyit
144 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.03K Views
One or two companies

I am facing a dilemma: Currently my mobile/web development start-up company is working on two non-profit projects, that may find an audience and therefore promote the company's name among mobile...

asked Jan 22 '12 at 05:04
Blank
Maxim V. Pavlov
217 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.11K Views
Can I run a web-based Non-Profit Org while living abroad?

I want to register as a non-profit org., but I'm not sure how it'd work because I'm leaving in a couple months to work in Asia for a year or more. My website is for international photography if...

asked Dec 21 '11 at 17:25
Blank
Jacob
1 point

2 Votes
2 Answers
4K Views
Can I do volunteer work for Non profit Organization while on H1B for other company?

I am currently on H1B visa, I want to do some volunteer work for a non profit organization on my free time and weekends, helping with some web development. I will not get any monetary benefits from...

asked Dec 26 '11 at 04:45
Blank
User995487
28 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
17.9K Views
Is it legal to accept donations as an LLC?

Similar questions have been asked, but I'm still not completely understanding. I have an LLC that sells apparel, and people have offered to give us donations because the idea of our company is to...

asked Nov 30 '11 at 01:00
Blank
Brandersnatcher
8 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.23K Views
What kind of business can a non-profit not do?

I'm thinking of starting a non-profit organization, but I don't know much about non-profit vs. for-profit and whether it makes sense for me to go after a for-profit company. My sole purpose is not...

asked Nov 15 '11 at 08:11
Blank
Mark13426
131 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.48K Views
Selling using the honor system

This is sort of a follow up to a post a few months back. I recently converted a solo software project into a "business" (in quotes because it has a non-profit motivation and I make very little at...

asked Nov 10 '11 at 12:51
Blank
Kekito
1,936 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
4.17K Views
Forced to sign intellectual property agreement or be terminated after 4 years of service

I have worked for a small 25 employee non-profit in the US for the past 4 years. About 9 months ago, I identified some deficiencies within the company in the areas of data management and...

asked Sep 30 '11 at 11:43
Blank
Jak
8 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.03K Views
What advantages do tech startups with tax exempt 501(c)(3) status enjoy beyond tax exemption, if any?

This past March I co-founded a (for-profit) NV corporation, which created a Facebook App in the C2C social gifting space. This software, however, can be used in multiple industries, and I wanted to...

asked Oct 5 '11 at 07:21
Blank
Robert J Valli
6 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.67K Views
How to convince employees of small business to make a difference in the world?

I am owner of a small start up web+mobile development company. We are 2 full time programmers (including myself) and 4 part time programmers. I asked my team a question: Do you think it's important...

asked Sep 4 '11 at 14:07
Blank
John
170 points