Definitions Questions

3 Votes
5 Answers
70K Views
What does "route to market" mean?

I am new to being an entrepreneur and still pretty young. I was asked what my 'route to market' is. What is the definition of this? Is it how I bring my product to a point of a sale?

asked Sep 9 '11 at 19:34
Blank
Dex Curl
16 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.53K Views
What is an entrepreneur?

Are business owners (ecommerce) considered entrepreneurs too? Many times I hear only technology startup founders categorized as such, but I seldom hear of business owners called entrepreneurs....

asked Mar 17 '13 at 23:47
Blank
Bernie
23 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
3.24K Views
What exactly does Bootstrap, Series A, Series B, etc. mean?

On a website that hosts startups I saw these terms next to "funding": Bootstrapped Seed Round Series A Series B Series C Can anyone please explain what exactly are all these terms? I found a...

asked Sep 27 '13 at 19:42
Blank
Cristic84
3 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.63K Views
What is a lead investor?

On TechCrunch, I often see articles saying Company FooBar raised $10M in a Series A round, lead by Ventures Inc. In this context, who are "Ventures Inc"? What does it mean that they lead the...

asked Mar 21 '13 at 10:56
Blank
Marty Pitt
171 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
4.31K Views
What is the title of someone that produces website content from technical documents?

I am willing to hire a person who will take our technical documents (internal) and produce the content for our website, that is, describe the product in a clear way. What title shall I use, if I...

asked Feb 21 '13 at 15:03
Blank
Tzury Bar Yochay
113 points

5 Votes
1 Answers
3.15K Views
What is a roll-out plan?

What is a roll-out plan? I tried searching on Google, but without much success. I found http://www.project-open.org/en/tutorial_rollout_plan, but I still don't understand what a roll-out plan is...

asked Dec 31 '12 at 22:42
Blank
Sorin Trimbitas
128 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.71K Views
Is there a word for "don't dilute my shares faster than yours"?

I am entering discussions where the subject of me receiving equity in a company might be brought up. I would like to know if there is a common business term (manner-of-speaking term) for an...

asked Dec 16 '12 at 23:15
Blank
Roger
106 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.45K Views
What is 'Surplus of Revenue'?

What is the definition of 'surplus of revenue'? My textbook's explanation of revenue doesn't cover this. For some context, here is a question from my textbook: In the financial year 2008-2009,...

asked Nov 15 '12 at 23:04
Blank
Jakee
3 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.34K Views
What does anti-dilution protection mean in a term-sheet?

My question is in the context of a Term-sheet. I want to know what does anti-dilution preferences mean?

asked Oct 18 '12 at 05:36
Blank
Lisa Howard
116 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
7.03K Views
Difference between stakeholder, stockholder, and shareholder

I want to start a C corp, and I keep coming across the following terms: stakeholder, stockholder, and shareholder. What's the difference between them? I'd appreciate a clear explanation in layman's...

asked Jun 18 '12 at 06:47
Blank
Mark13426
131 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.19K Views
Protecting myself with a new business venture at the VP

I really need advice in how to protect myself with a new venture I took on. In January 2011, I became an adviser and sat on the board to a beverage company as I taught the CEO about channel...

asked Mar 23 '12 at 00:06
Blank
Av Gvpsf
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.66K Views
What is Soft ROI?

I have heard some people use the term, for example in this video but I cannot find a precise definition of the concept online. What is soft ROI?

asked Feb 24 '12 at 06:22
Blank
Randomblue
154 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.84K Views
What is the definition of a non-profit startup?

I have seen some entrepreneurs use the term non-profit startup. What exactly is a non-profit startup?

asked Feb 15 '12 at 04:57
Blank
Tehnyit
144 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.13K Views
What is the definition of capital account?

It seems that it's a virtual term. It is not a bank account. It is the net result of gains-losses. And it seems that there are two types of such accounts – the llc's, and members'. The account...

asked Feb 3 '12 at 08:04
Blank
Startup1
90 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
6.85K Views
What is a legal entity, specifically in Apple's terms?

What exactly is a legal entity? I am trying to form a sole-proprietorship company in the state of California. Is this considered a legal entity? How can I set up the name for this company, other...

asked Jan 29 '12 at 15:19
Blank
Crystal
51 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.28K Views
What's this business model/marketing style called?

What is the name of a business model where you offer a product for free to entice people to use your service? I'm not referring to freemium. I am more talking about how Google works. They offer...

asked Feb 2 '12 at 17:53
Blank
Daveo
113 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
4.09K Views
What is the difference between a Payment Processor and a Merchant Account and Payment Gateway?

I'm also wondering what each of those does. Seems like with the Ecommerce solution I'm considering that everytime I think I've got it all figured out, it turns out that we need yet another service...

asked Nov 2 '11 at 07:28
Blank
Clay Nichols
737 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.93K Views
What is founder's stock?

What does it mean when a consultant ask for founders stock in a pre-funded startup for payment? Is it a special class of stock? Is it non-dilutible?

asked Aug 8 '11 at 04:09
Blank
Jirad
105 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.66K Views
Books necessary for a completely newbie

I am a recent graduate and soon I am starting my own company in the IT/Tech. Because always all of my studies were mostly technical(computer programming,coding,...) and do not have that much work...

asked Jul 22 '11 at 07:04
Blank
Hossein
111 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
6.57K Views
What is the difference between a startup and a small business?

I've had a conversation with some friends recently on the differences between a startup and a small business. One of my friends said that a startup in a brand new company, which aims to scale fast...

asked Jun 7 '11 at 18:02
Blank
Slavo
316 points