Name Questions

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.03K Views
Start-up name : getting only the .ca domain when .com isn't available?

I found a really good title for my start-up (I least I think). It is short, not too descriptive (but still a little bit) and brandable. In the first place, my product will be localize in Canada...

asked Jun 11 '14 at 13:38
Blank
Francis L
33 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.83K Views
Naming an online bookkeeping service startup in Australia?

We would love feedback from the community on which of the following company names is the best to choose for our startup.As background, we have ran a couple of naming contests and have gone through...

asked Jun 18 '14 at 09:43
Blank
garyjames
6 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.25K Views
Is it ever worth paying money to acquire a domain name for your startup?

The name my cofounder and I would like to use is taken and the current owner quotes us $7000 for the domain name.Is it ever worth for a startup to invest a tidy amount of money like that in a...

asked Jul 23 '14 at 21:40
Blank
John Murray
6 points

7 Votes
2 Answers
3.19K Views
How generic a product name can be?

Let's say I created a software that automates the creation of Joomla CMS templates (this is just an example, I'm not into that). I manage to buy the domain name joomlatemplate.com. Great. But what...

asked May 2 '11 at 22:59
Blank
User9982
206 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.48K Views
How to Pick Globally Unique Company Name?

When starting a new company we try to pick a name that is unique. However, now that business is global it's nearly impossible to pick a name that is not in use somewhere. I was wondering: What...

asked Nov 8 '13 at 16:30
Blank
Alfa Zulu
116 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
2.55K Views
Someone wants to use my app name

I have n app on the App Store it doesn't doing terribly well because I am neglecting it a little but I intend to go back to it soon. Basically a big gaming company has approached me and wanted to...

asked Sep 25 '13 at 05:33
Blank
Chris
31 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.38K Views
Trademark, allowed or not?

I hope I am posting this in the right board. My problem Making a new commercial Application name I don't understand how to read the trademarks Afraid of breaking trademark rules and have to...

asked Sep 6 '13 at 03:12
Blank
Alice
108 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
6.05K Views
Company name same as product name

I am currently in the process of forming a software startup. My first product is essentially finished. All that's holding me back at the moment is that I can't seem to find a suitable company name....

asked Aug 3 '13 at 03:11
Blank
Ben
136 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.51K Views
Domain name confusion

Intended name for my startup seems to be free to use. A search in global/eu/us trademark databases all returned no entity with the same name. TLDs with my domain are either free or offered for...

asked May 9 '13 at 05:15
Blank
Eneyee
6 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
6.85K Views
Is a name for a software company ending with 'soft' copying Microsoft?

So I was thinking of calling my software company 'something'-soft. e.g. Perrysoft. Do people read that as copying or cashing in on the name Microsoft?

asked Apr 9 '13 at 22:02
Blank
Ian Warburton
113 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.86K Views
Name Prior to Market Research

A few friends and I have come up with an idea that we want to do some research on. I was planning on moving forward, whilst following the advice many people have given on here and elsewhere, by...

asked Feb 28 '13 at 00:58
Blank
Justin.Chmura
105 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
4.55K Views
Are cuss words always bad in domain/company names

So, I have an idea for a startup and have come up with what I consider to be an excellent name for it, however it contains a cuss word. Specifically "shit ". While I don't want to divulge the...

asked Jan 30 '13 at 14:29
Blank
Maxim Gershkovich
234 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.61K Views
What if there is a similar named iPhone app already in the app store?

I am about to submit my first app to the Apple app store. Let's say that it is called "GreatClock". There is already an app on the market called "great clock". There is some variable spelling,...

asked Jan 18 '13 at 14:05
Blank
User35610
13 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.87K Views
Commercial product name similar to open source product name

I have a commercial software product that will be launching soon. It has a very similar name to a piece of open source software in a non-English speaking country. The only difference is a...

asked Jan 2 '13 at 08:38
Blank
Firstresponder
113 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.74K Views
Choosing a domain / app name... What if another company already uses it?

Obviously, you can't use the same name as another BIG, recognizable company. And you also want to avoid trademark issues. But what about these two scenarios: You finally find a domain name and...

asked Jan 9 '13 at 22:29
Blank
Bc Web
101 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
3.36K Views
What do you think about company names that end with Land?

I'm thinking about naming my company (financial services) with a name which ends with "Land". E.g. if I was selling books it would be bookland or aqualand if I sold bottled water. My friend says it...

asked Jan 11 '13 at 17:56
Blank
User22493
6 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.08K Views
Is it advisable to name my startup www.teamsomething.com if www.somethingapp.com already exists?

I am working on setting up an app development company along with a few of my friends. Assume that the name I want is "something". Since www.something.com was unavailable, I have decided to name it...

asked Dec 14 '12 at 22:14
Blank
User22090
6 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.28K Views
Using Verb as Prefix in company URL

I have came up with a term for the company I want to make. Please read it's company not a Product URL. The names that usually came in my mind...

asked Dec 22 '12 at 01:08
Blank
Volatil3
108 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.01K Views
Is .in (dot-in) a viable domain extension?

I've been pulling my hair out trying to come up with a domain name for my upcoming social bookmarking web app I've spent hours on thesaurus.com trying to find an unusual name that hasn't already...

asked Dec 24 '12 at 23:44
Blank
Richard
357 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.97K Views
Is "Co" suffix obligatory? Or "Software"?

I have reserved a name for my business. It does not contain any "Co" or "Software" suffix. But sometimes it's more appropriate to use the suffix, e.g. in Facebook page's title. Can I use the "Co"...

asked Jul 15 '12 at 00:48
Blank
Muller
19 points