Products Questions

0 Votes
1 Answers
Working on Startup for Indian market from outside India

I am working on a Software application designed for Indian market from outside India. I have a partner (in India) who knows the Indian market and knows the domain of the application inside-out (15...

asked Feb 28 '13 at 20:10
Blank
User25018
109 points

8 Votes
6 Answers
4.36K Views
Where can I get cheap barcodes for product?

I know there are a lot of sites out there offering UPC code leases, but the price seems astronomical per product. I have about 16 products that I want to get UPC codes for, but I can't justify...

asked Mar 4 '11 at 05:03
Blank
Polyhedron
145 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.06K Views
How do I get products for an eCommerce website?

I'm working on an eCommerce project from past few months. Now I want to buy the products from a supplier. I don't have an idea about from where to find suppliers. Is there any source which provides...

asked Jun 10 '14 at 07:36
Blank
Sky Buzz
36 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.36K Views
What percentage of revenue should you allocate for R&D for established SaaS companies?

Assuming you have a SaaS company that is already generating over $1M per year in gross revenue, how much of that should you allocate towards R&B and product development?In the early stages,...

asked Jun 12 '14 at 18:41
Blank
Nellie Lee
12 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
Does stopping to support a secondary product affect sales of your primary product?

37Signals (now Basecamp) recently decided to stop supporting and further development on all other products except Basecamp.Does doing something like this negatively affect sales and churn for the...

asked Jul 23 '14 at 12:28
Blank
John Hill
4 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.44K Views
How to get initial good reviews on Amazon for your products?

I'm a third party seller on Amazon with my own unique products. As such, there are no reviews for my products when I launch them.What are some ways to get the first 10-15 positive reviews? I have a...

asked Aug 4 '14 at 21:56
Blank
Richard Hollis
16 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
1.19K Views
Get feedback or improve product before contacting people who have shown interest?

I've built an MVP and have about 35 beta sign ups. It's not much but my landing page conversion rate is fairly high so far, so that's a good sign. I've sent out about 10 invitations to sign up....

asked Aug 26 '14 at 14:44
Blank
Mnort9
201 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
How can I save my failing product?

Background: My product extracts data from pdf files. Free users get 8 free jobs. Paying users get 40 jobs. Each job is a data extraction from a pdf file. Problem: User engagement terminates after...

asked Sep 19 '14 at 08:49
Blank
user7823742
21 points

5 Votes
9 Answers
20.5K Views
Making money from Improving existing products

If I come up with an improvement to an existing product, how do I protect myself when sharing it, and get some of the revenues the idea generates? There are many times when I look at an existing...

asked Oct 14 '09 at 16:10
Blank
Ron Ga
2,181 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
Buying inventory vs drop shipping for a first eCommerce store?

I have a blog that I want to monetize by offering relevant products for purchase to the readers. I've tried affiliate programs but the merchants keep most of the profits -- I'd like to cut out both...

asked May 25 '14 at 16:58
Blank
Richard Perez
7 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
Should you give your product away for free to first adopters?

During the first few weeks of launching, should you give your product away for free to get people to use it and possibly spread the word about it?Is that a good marketing tactic? It's a strategy...

asked May 20 '14 at 13:21
Blank
Cynthia Wilson
12 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.41K Views
How can startups create a moat or lock-in for their product?

Large companies do it with lengthy contracts or brand recognition. What strategies can startups use to lock users in. Not in terms of a shady practice like not letting them export data, but in...

asked Apr 27 '14 at 13:29
Blank
John Boucher
16 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
Elements of a good product vision?

What characteristics make a great product vision? Things that one should pay attention to when creating a long term roadmap for your product.

asked Apr 9 '14 at 17:44
Blank
James Mai
7 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
B2B physical product: charge for samples or provide them for free?

I'm starting a business similar to Zazzle, but geared more towards B2B products. The sales process is unfamiliar territory for me.What should I do if companies ask for samples? Should I charge for...

asked Apr 4 '14 at 13:56
Blank
Jorge Bolton
14 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Examples of horrible products that still make money due to great marketing?

What are some crappy products that add little value to the problem they try to solve? Ones that became wildly popular and profitable just due to their marketing?

asked Apr 2 '14 at 22:40
Blank
Tommy Hallum
12 points

7 Votes
2 Answers
1.1K Views
How generic a product name can be?

Let's say I created a software that automates the creation of Joomla CMS templates (this is just an example, I'm not into that). I manage to buy the domain name joomlatemplate.com. Great. But what...

asked May 2 '11 at 22:59
Blank
User9982
206 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
Product vs Consulting business? Pros / Cons?

What are some pros or cons to pick consulting over building a product and vice versa? From reading Patio11's posts on HN, it looks like generating money is quickest with consulting, but long term...

asked Feb 11 '14 at 23:02
Blank
Dominick Thomas
56 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
I need a Java professional with experience in project management

I need a Java professional who can lead small Android and web based projects/products. I have experience in .net though, but I barely have any experience in Java. Being a new and a "Lean" startup,...

asked Dec 1 '13 at 21:25
Blank
User29862
1 point

0 Votes
2 Answers
Best software product to sell?

This is for my university research task. What do you think will be the most successful software product (not service) in the Indian software industry? And how will that product be customised to...

asked Nov 19 '13 at 19:00
Blank
Magakriv
4 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
Where can we get leather and synthetic products custom-made?

We want to find a wholesaler who provides custom-made handbags and other related products. We are based in the UK, but obviously we're prepared to pay for delivery if we can find a wholesaler that...

asked Nov 2 '13 at 07:07
Blank
Dave Hilditch
227 points