Development Questions

7 Votes
11 Answers
4.11K Views
Should I trust software development companies from Asia?

There are lots of sites around the internet that offer cheap labour from an offshore location. What do you think about using this type of site to speed up your local business? Is it a good idea?...

asked May 5 '11 at 02:46
Blank
Sfrj
205 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
4.57K Views
Getting projects for a software development company

We have formed our company (that is, incorporation is in progress) this November (2012). Our company focuses on IT service management (ITSM) solutions and have very skilled professionals in the...

asked Nov 21 '12 at 00:19
Blank
Rajagopal S
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.92K Views
What percentage of revenue should you allocate for R&D for established SaaS companies?

Assuming you have a SaaS company that is already generating over $1M per year in gross revenue, how much of that should you allocate towards R&B and product development?In the early stages,...

asked Jun 12 '14 at 18:41
Blank
Nellie Lee
12 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.31K Views
How to get over "redesign entire app" or "recode from scratch" syndrome?

As a founder of a few apps, I always get caught up in redesigning or recoding an entire app from scratch.Sometimes it's because I'm not satisfied with the first iteration (or have been staring at...

asked Aug 29 '14 at 15:29
Blank
David Ponder
17 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
3.84K Views
Where do you get your product inspiration from?

For founders who already have a product, where do you get inspiration for new features and improvements to your app?The only thing I've always done is look at competitors and decide which of their...

asked Apr 20 '15 at 14:26
Blank
Matthew Bryant
19 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
4.03K Views
Can a single person design, build, and scale a website on their own without any employees?

I have been looking for a co-founder for several months and haven't found anyone I click with. Rather than going to meetups and networking events to try and find one, I've decided to just learn how...

asked May 14 '15 at 12:59
Blank
Paul Rodriguez
19 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
5.05K Views
Objective-C or the new Swift for developing iOS apps?

Apple released Swift yesterday at WWDC. It's a high level programming language that is going to make developing iOS apps much easier for new programmers.I know neither Objective-C or Swift at the...

asked Jun 4 '14 at 14:43
Blank
Theresa Darrell
14 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.82K Views
Consulting firms: should you NOT target startups as clients?

Should web development consulting firms try to avoid targeting startups as clients? One of the key issues with startups is funding (most don't have any) and the ones that have raised a small seed,...

asked May 30 '14 at 13:14
Blank
Arthur Baxter
7 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
2.85K Views
Should you charge before building an enterprise product with a client?

Have an idea for a claims management application. I got one company who is in the selection process amongst other such software but they want to work with me to build something from ground up. I...

asked May 11 '14 at 18:59
Blank
Jo K
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.13K Views
Knowledge of algorithms required to be a CTO or VP of Engineering?

I have several years of experience developing software and managing small teams. But I struggle with learning about algorithms. Does that put a huge negative on me being a CTO in the near...

asked Feb 26 '14 at 15:16
Blank
Oscar Bennett
35 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.05K Views
Which language or framework to pick for new startup?

Which technology stack has the best combination of speed of development, engineering costs and ability to easily find an engineer? Both my co-founder and I are non technical and before we set...

asked Feb 2 '14 at 21:30
Blank
Levi Bowen
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.15K Views
Lean Startup Method Question for Web app startups

So, I'm slightly confused which I should be following. I'm currently a solopreneur. I'm trying to follow lean startup, but I just read on the book Startup Owners Manual and Lean Startup...

asked Nov 16 '13 at 11:15
Blank
User9968
229 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.01K Views
how do I effectively market my skill as an independent contractor?

For the past 7 years I have been working for a defense contractor working on customizing content management systems (well known EMC and Atlassian products). I feel like I have gained enough...

asked Nov 18 '13 at 14:54
Blank
User29701
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.35K Views
Best software product to sell?

This is for my university research task. What do you think will be the most successful software product (not service) in the Indian software industry? And how will that product be customised to...

asked Nov 19 '13 at 19:00
Blank
Magakriv
4 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.79K Views
Partnering with a consulting company

I have an opportunity to build a software with a subscription model with my partner who is the domain expert. We found a consulting company who is willing to due the whole development and...

asked Oct 22 '13 at 16:14
Blank
Adam
1 point

6 Votes
2 Answers
2.36K Views
Will presenting the logos of enterprise clients scare away potential small business clients?

We produce mobile applications for businesses of all sizes. In the past, the majority of our clients have been big names: Guinness, Universal Pictures, Ernst & Young, etc. As we reformat our...

asked Oct 31 '13 at 21:40
Blank
Davey Boy
55 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.55K Views
Specific ways of getting a customer to pay for high product development costs

I'm an advisor to a startup that is developing a product for a specific industrial use, with a limited customer base (think of a machine for a companies in a niche industry). The capital costs...

asked Oct 6 '13 at 07:50
Blank
City Entrepreneur
42 points

8 Votes
5 Answers
2.76K Views
How to hire competent programmers

I have a new startup and need some additional Java programmers. The problem is: the majority of applicants have just gotten completely stuck and given up when presented with an extremely simple...

asked Sep 17 '13 at 19:38
Blank
Jeremy List
46 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.05K Views
What should we know in order to make a 3rd-party developer's life easier?

My company is looking to develop a cross-platform mobile application. What are some general things we should know before approaching a developer that will make their lives easier and our app...

asked Sep 28 '13 at 00:33
Blank
Davey Boy
55 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
8.09K Views
Equity for Startup Lead Developer/CTO (pre-funding, pre-launch)

Prerequisites I'm an experienced developer with broad knowledge of software engineering matters, having contacts in outsourcing companies and access to great talented tech people. At the moment I'm...

asked Jul 27 '13 at 06:00
Blank
Vasily Ulianko
6 points