Design Questions

3 Votes
6 Answers
5.22K Views
Hiring a quality UX/UI designer for our startup?

We're have a tough time finding any good designers to hire for our startup. Most of the good designers are usually more interested in working at VC funded startups in the valley or more established...

asked Jun 10 '15 at 09:55
Blank
Keenan Bachelder
20 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
10.8K Views
Design template for a SaaS website

Where can I purchase a professional looking, Web 2.0 styled template for a subscription service website. I'd need the PSD, the HTML, images and the styles.

asked Dec 6 '10 at 03:32
Blank
Nick H
120 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
3.84K Views
Where do you get your product inspiration from?

For founders who already have a product, where do you get inspiration for new features and improvements to your app?The only thing I've always done is look at competitors and decide which of their...

asked Apr 20 '15 at 14:26
Blank
Matthew Bryant
19 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.61K Views
How to find designers who are also well versed in marketing principles?

It's near impossible to find a designer who has deep knowledge of what converts and what doesn't.It seems you can either find someone who can make something really good looking, but lags in...

asked Apr 13 '14 at 00:27
Blank
Joseph Black
17 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.73K Views
Where can I find a decent Bootstrap web designer?

Bootstrap as in (http://getbootstrap.com/). It seems to me that lately every tech startup I see on TechCrunch has an awesome landing page built in Bootstrap. The "design language" is mostly the...

asked Mar 30 '14 at 01:11
Blank
LaserBear
100 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.24K Views
We have a suit & tie kind of culture: how do we attract designers to hire?

We're an enterprise services company and while there are no rules, everyone just automatically prefers to be dressed "old school".This has created a problem for us to attract designers in the bay...

asked Mar 2 '14 at 17:32
Blank
Michael Nall
30 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.28K Views
Who to approach with a radically new engine design?

this may not be the proper StackExchange site (flag if you think it should be moved elsewhere; I did not find a mechanical eng site) but I have an engineering-related question. My dad created a...

asked Dec 4 '13 at 23:06
Blank
Mart1n
104 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.99K Views
How do you get sophisticated feedback at each development milestone. Do you use a peer group?

Looking for a place/process to co-audit recent work. Like I just created or updated this certain feature on my website in the last 2 weeks, and I'd like to do walk-throughs or get reviews with...

asked Sep 30 '13 at 00:39
Blank
Efficient Leader
37 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.34K Views
What's a fair share to give when adding a designer as a co-founder?

In the last 6 months I was working on stop motion app for Android. Now the app gets around 100 download per day in Google Play (first month) and around 50,000 picture was taken so far, and I'm...

asked Aug 29 '13 at 04:20
Blank
Jimmy
111 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.22K Views
How can I communicate the business goals of my app to my designer

I am working with a designer on an app. I am concerned about achieving the business goals of the app. How can I be sure to communicate these to the designer? How much can I expect the designer to...

asked Apr 10 '13 at 01:33
Blank
Andrew Welch
167 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.87K Views
One page or multi page site / app

I am wondering whether to have a one page site design that is en vogue at the moment or a more traditional layout.On a long one-page design it seems that I can work the user through the AIDA...

asked Apr 10 '13 at 23:57
Blank
Andrew Welch
167 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.8K Views
New Design company- do I include old freelance work as part of portfolio

I am starting a design studio after doing freelance and employed work for a number of years. When pitching to new clients on behalf of the new studio, is in acceptable to refer to my old work, and...

asked Feb 21 '13 at 06:52
Blank
Andrew Welch
167 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
3.61K Views
What percentage to give UI/UX designer co-founder?

This is a general question for company shares: My partner and I have an equal stake in our company. We want to bring in a designer since both of us suck at UI. We have one in mind. Since we own...

asked Jan 30 '13 at 08:53
Blank
Joe
1 point

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.8K Views
Book Publication Graphic Design Legal Advice

A) I have sent a copy of my manuscript to a graphic designer I wanted to work with without an NDA/ any form of contract signed. I now no longer want to work with him. I have evidence that the...

asked Nov 16 '12 at 21:11
Blank
Natasha
1 point

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.94K Views
What are techniques to elicit requirements from customers who don't understand their needs?

Question: How do you prevent a situation where you have to produce work-product work first and get client feedback before getting on the right track to meet their needs? Are there techniques to...

asked Oct 18 '12 at 10:34
Blank
Daniel Skowro?Ski
18 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.79K Views
Recommended courses for a social network co-founder

I am a social network co-founder who recently relocated to NYC area. Apart from focusing on the social network start up, I am trying to take some courses at columbia or NYU. The issue is this - I...

asked Sep 25 '12 at 03:38
Blank
Rajiv Singh
14 points

9 Votes
6 Answers
2.77K Views
Is it smart to use remote programmers/web designers for my first startup social networking site?

I have the option of using remote staff individually at a cheaper rate, however I am considering using a local company that has a team because I can sit down with them and explain what I need on an...

asked Sep 12 '12 at 01:23
Blank
Jimmy
71 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.37K Views
Freelance Designers "Quality"- Portfolio vs. Results

I am in the process of hiring a designer that has good portfolio material. The problem i always run into is the fact that many designers will highlight their best work and that is what initially...

asked Aug 9 '12 at 22:42
Blank
Amin Brodie
39 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.12K Views
Setting A Price Range for A Custom Website Design

sorry if this is the wrong area to be posting this, but after looking through the other various stackexchange sites, I thought this one was most suitable for my question. I'm a first year...

asked Jun 10 '12 at 11:45
Blank
Glynbeard
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.59K Views
0.5% equity and 2k/month to be the #1 CDO in a startup

I really need your help. It 's the first time I've been asked to work for a startup. The company has already been made??, founded by 2 partners, and has already received an initial investment, but...

asked Apr 6 '12 at 20:58
Blank
Vin
1 point