Design Questions

5 Votes
6 Answers
4.29K Views
Do I need a web designer or developer/programmer?

I have an idea for a web startup. I really feel that it doesn't need any complicated technology, can I just use a designer instead of developer? And if I do, and my website proves popular and I...

asked Mar 12 '11 at 12:04
Blank
Aslyesnow
214 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
3.85K Views
What avenues have people used for logo design?

What avenues have people used for logo design? Has anyone had any problems with a certain method/website/service that I should be aware of? Thanks -Mark

asked Feb 10 '11 at 08:40
Blank
User6528
149 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.85K Views
For Branding, should I create my logo first, or do the logo as part of the website design?

I am about to start the branding process of one of our products. There is an interest among the stakeholders for this product to have a separate identity, and they will pay for it. My question, is,...

asked Jan 25 '11 at 11:44
Blank
Geo
268 points

11 Votes
16 Answers
5.01K Views
startup service design - launch early with mediocre design or later with "perfect" design?

Have a look at the following layouts for some well known...

asked Jan 5 '11 at 07:37
Blank
Cherouvim
219 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
3.05K Views
How do I make my website look more Web 2.0?

I am not a designer and with my limited design skills, I put together a website that doesn't look anything close to a professional site. I'd like to redesign my site to look more like other Web 2.0...

asked Nov 26 '10 at 02:36
Blank
Nick H
120 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
2.69K Views
Premium Wordpress Theme recommendation?

I am looking for a premium Wordpress theme for a site about fashion. I want it to look very good. So far I have found this one which looks pretty good to...

asked Oct 11 '10 at 23:01
Blank
Tucson
714 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.09K Views
Logo size on Website for Branding

I am currently designing the website for a new startup. I have 2 options (so far) for the size of the logo. Put it in the same spot as the "StackExchange" dropdown at the top of this page. It...

asked Oct 15 '10 at 07:11
Blank
Martin
1,340 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.04K Views
Where can I find site or wordpress themes based on call to action?

I would like to find themes based on the call to action I need - for example, I need a theme with an email signup as the main call to action - any one know of a themes website? Should I build one?...

asked Sep 23 '10 at 03:04
Blank
Bob Cavezza
191 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.22K Views
New user signup process on a global website

What is the best way to handle signups for new users when you want them to register anonymously but identify their country, city and Zip/Postal code? Some countries don't have postal codes. I would...

asked Jul 25 '10 at 10:06
Blank
David Handel
56 points

4 Votes
9 Answers
2.9K Views
How much time should we spend on the technical documentation/design?

So I'm in a little bit of a tug of war with some other cofounders on our project. We've just started out after spending alot of time on the BP and that side of things. The other...

asked Jul 9 '10 at 21:20
Blank
Wil
273 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.98K Views
Hiring Interaction design firms

I am starting a new project for my web-based company and I think the services of an interaction design company would really help me flesh out a beautiful / usable product for my customers. Can...

asked May 25 '10 at 13:35
Blank
Simon
165 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.11K Views
Facebook like open sign up form on the frontpage, is this better?

Faebook has a sign up form on the front page itself? has any body done A/B test on something like this vs. another page loaded for the sign up form?

asked May 31 '10 at 18:44
Blank
Eric
352 points

0 Votes
6 Answers
2.71K Views
Web design business: specializing vs being generic?

We are about to renew our HOME PAGE, we sell websites, we are web designers. From your experience,what do you suggest to enphasize most on our HOME PAGE, we are struggling to decide whether...

asked Apr 26 '10 at 02:12
Blank
Marco Demaio
175 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
3.59K Views
What qualification and/or skills should I look for while hiring a web designer?

I am about to launch a website, which I got created through a freelancer. However, I am not very pleased with freelancer's performance and plan to hire someone full-time to make required iterations...

asked Apr 2 '10 at 03:32
Blank
Joydeep
185 points

5 Votes
9 Answers
4.72K Views
Hire or outsource web design?

When building a website in a bootstrapped startup, is it better to hire a web designer or outsource the work? All of the founders are coders and don't excel in web design. Apart from that, if the...

asked Mar 9 '10 at 23:53
Blank
Slavo
316 points

11 Votes
8 Answers
12.5K Views
Crowdspring or 99designs?

For crowd sourcing basically there are two main contenders, crowdspring and 99designs. I know they are both good and we can't go wrong with either one, but I am sure we can find out which one is...

asked Feb 21 '10 at 22:17
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

7 Votes
6 Answers
3.46K Views
What constitutes a good dashboard?

Dashboards are the 1st screen to welcome users for the 1st time or everytime they use your web app. What are examples of web apps with good dashboard? What do you want in a dashboard? Do you guys...

asked Jan 16 '10 at 20:52
Blank
Eric
352 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
1.89K Views
Usability: Looking for your thoughts on Categories and Tags

That's right. I often have mixed emotions on this one. Let's say we have some type of site that profiles different items. For example, the latest thing over the past few years is tagging... and...

asked Dec 24 '09 at 12:25
Blank
Matt
460 points

7 Votes
8 Answers
4.08K Views
How Important Is Branding For a Startup? Should I Bring In Outside Help?

How important is branding for early stage startups? Within this question, there is some interesting discussion on how a brand can evolve based on everything you do - e.g. your name, website,...

asked Dec 31 '09 at 21:59
Blank
Benjamin Wootton
1,667 points

4 Votes
13 Answers
5.92K Views
Tools for web mockups, "wire-framing"

I'm looking for a tool that'll help me create sketches/mockups of web pages. I'm not talking about the "photo-realistic" sets of PSD's that break everything down into components. I'm not looking at...

asked Jan 6 '10 at 06:58
Blank
Ron M.
4,224 points